• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Palmer Hughes question, from a newbie

mtj

Reaction score
Here is a video, N.O. LA. Blues, of a performance of N.O. LA. Blues by Palmer-Hughes is this in a book? Anyone known how to get this sheet music?
Also I have been told that Palmer-Hughes had an accordion swing book, I can't however find it. Does such a book exist?
All that not withstanding is there a complete list of Palmer-Hughes accordion sheet music/books and perhaps the list of songs?

And since I'm new here:
I'm from southern California USA
I play a Giulietti F4T Transformer and have been playing for a couple of years, it had been my goal to learn accordion when I retired.

All that not withstanding is there a complete list of Palmer-Hughes accordion sheet music/books and perhaps the list of songs?

You might try Deffner:
Yes thank you. ErnestDeffner does has the best selection of PH I've seen. However I don't see either there. By the way, I found this site: http://www.accordions.com/deffnerm/ which is an alternative way to songs for the Deffner catalogue. It's the best list of PH songs I've been able to find.

hat Palmer-Hughes had an accordion swing book, I can't however find it. Does such a book exist?

It's hard to guarantee completeness in a list like that.

Here's everything I'm aware of that is still in print:
Accordion Course, 1-10
Prep Accordion Course, 1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B 4A 4B (same material as Accordion Course 1-4, spread out more slowly)
Reading, Writing, Rhythm (supplemental for students who haven't ever read music before)
Recital Book 1-3
Melodic Adventures in Bass-Land
Polka Book
Christmas Book
Easy Rock 'n' Roll Book

Alfred Music's website will list the individual songs in every book if you click on the book and ask for details. It doesn't have an easily searchable list.

P-H also had a piano course (with various christmas, pop, church music, etc branches) and an organ course, some accordion arrangements of individual pieces, a book of Pietro Frosini arrangements that wasn't part of the main course, and any number of other music books.

Many of the individual-pieces arrangements are long since out of print. It seems entirely plausible to me that there might have been an accordion swing book that went out of print and were never brought back.

Check out Busso Music , which is the newer copyright holder of the old Deffner music publications, among other books and music. Alfred seemed to allow much of the Alfred books to go out of stock, and a great many of them are now top notch photo reproductions of the original works through Busso music. Check out Busso's site, and you'd probably be surprised at how many PH books have disappeared but are available here. Many of the books include a listing of tunes. Frequently, one can find some of the out of print PH books on Ebay, but often resellers sell used copies in various conditions with a higher price than Busso's.

Back