• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

On Line Tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxplayer4000

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Online Tuner.
For a number of years I have used the Android based ‘DaTunerLite’ tuner. A recent change of mobile phone necessitated installing a new version of ‘Datuner’ which I find almost unusable due to adverts. The screen cents display figures are partially obscured by screen clutter. It’s not impossible it’s due to my lack of knowledge of my phone that this is happening but online comment seems to bear out my experiences.
So I’ve begun looking for a replacement. Android/mobile based systems are handy due to mobility. I am presently assessing a device called ‘SoundCorset’.
Has anybody any suggestions?
Meanwhile my ancient, trusty, Peterson 450 sits in the background, still very useable but lacking some modern conveniences.

You can still get the old version of DaTuner Lite I think:
Apparently 3.8.1 is the add free version

But I use Pitchlab Pro and Bill Farmer Tuner (both free)
See https://www.accordionists.info/threads/da-tuner-ruined-alternatives.5435/

Bill Farmer gives more digits for frequency measurement, which is quite important for low notes.

That's some form of strobe tuner display.
Tap on the waterfall and it will switch to one of three strobe tuner versions, I find the rotating circles with the +/- cents at the top the best.

Glug. Thanks for your help.
Certainly one of the three screen display backgrounds is less distracting than the others.
PitchLabPro reads to half a cent resolution and that seems more than enough even for the high piccolos. It's spot on at 440Hz with the
reference tone online. At medium/coldish room temperature it rated my old 440 tuning fork at +1 cent and on heating the fork for a few seconds in front of a hot fan the tuning fell to -6 cents.

The issue I was having is for example G1 at 49Hz (Hohner Lucia bass).

PitchLab Pro reads 49.0 Hz
Bill Farmer reads 49.00 Hz
(using online tone generator).

and 0.1Hz is 3.5 cents at that pitch.

I'm not sure if there is any way to get PitchLab pro to show more digits, I couldn't find a way on the free version.

Apologizing for slightly hijacking your thread.... is there something special you do with the settings on the Bill the Farmer Tuner to get it to work?

I have a number of tuning apps on my tablet. I am used to a tuner occasionally thinking a low rich note is an octave or a twelfth higher than it really is. And I enjoy using the spectrum type programs to see where peaks are, but would love to have a program that could label them for me, or a program that could decipher two notes or reeds sounding at once. So I downloaded the tuner recommended above.... and it doesn't get a single note right. Accordion, violin, tuning fork, synthesizer - it thinks a D is an F, thinks a G is a D, thinks an E is an Eb an octave lower (or maybe 5 different Ebs an octave lower), no rhyme or reason to it. So far it seems to be completely random if the low-pass filter is on, and more likely to be off by a twelfth or seventeenth (invariably too low, like it thinks the note it's hearing is a partial of a pitch that isnt there) if it is off.

I'm using Bill Farmer 1.33 on Android, it's working fine here.

Curiouser and curiouser. With v.1.42, it works fine on my old tablet, and is lost on my new (android 4.2 and 11). Doesn't seem to be the microphone as other frequency apps work, and is the same in and out of the rubber safety/grip case the tablet is in.

At least that suggests a workaround, for a little while longer anyway - fire up the old tablet if I need to get 2 pitches at once.

That's a bit weird. I'm using Bill Farmer 1.33 on Android 9.

I remember using the multiple notes option a few years back, but for tuning I tape off the other reed blocks and measure directly.
It's probably quite handy for measuring the musette on somebody elses accordion though.

You can get older Bill Farmer Android releases here https://github.com/billthefarmer/tuner/releases

Ooooh, just spotted on that Bill Farmer release list v1.41 "Extend reference range".

Slight issue with 1.33 is you can only set the reference A4 to 439/440/441 and my Scandalli is tuned to 442.
Doesn't really matter though if you're measuring the frequency and putting it in a spreadsheet.

I tried 1.33 and got same odd results as in 1.42. Given that it works fine both for you and on my old tablet, I suppose it's just a mystery why that new tablet doesn't like me (there's quite a list of things about it that I think are downgrades from my 9-year-old one.)

Just tried Bill Farmer 1.42 on Android 9 and it's working fine.
I'm using a Moto G6 phone but that shouldn't matter, it's stock Android 9.

To the original question, I use Sound Corset on Android, at one point I was using it enough that I decided to pay for it. I find the metronome and recording capability good too.

It is more accurate than my physical tuners a clip on Snark and an Aklot £5 special from eBay, the Aklot is good for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back