• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Norteño by Gabbanelli

wayne

Reaction score
Has anyone played a Norteño accordion? Gabanelli offers a brand name, Norteño, made in China, & cheaper. It seems like there are lots of issues with many of the Chinese made accordions from what I've read in other discussions here. Does anyone know if they are any good, yes or no? Thank you-

Actually, I have seen that video before, thanks for the reply. I'm curious about how "noisy" the air intake pull is, how responsive are the buttons, do the buttons scrape or rattle, do the reeds stay in tune, etc., Or are they cheaply made since they are a lower priced version of the other Gabanelli line?

Or are they cheaply made since they are a lower priced version of the other Gabanelli line?
I have never played either, but if both lines are sold by Gabinelli and the Norteño are sold at a lower price, then the conclusion I would draw is the one embedded in your question.

Hope my new Baffetti sounds better than that!
Gabbys are quite popular with border musicians and I suspect they are trying to get these boxes in the hands of beginners, on a limited budget, hoping they will upgrade to a better, more expensive accordion. The "regular" Gab's sound a whole lot better than that.

OK, so to get back on topic; I see a lot of videos out there that are supposed to be a "review" of a certain type of accordion. A lot of them sound good. My question is to anyone who has either owned a Norteño or played one, and can give feedback on what they saw good or bad about the instrument. Thanks again.

Is a Norteno accordion essentially the same thing as a 3-row steirische harmonika?
What are the differences?

Is a Norteno accordion essentially the same thing as a 3-row steirische harmonika?
What are the differences?
they're more like cousins

no helikon basses
often bright "gradient" color scheme although the modern steirische have that too, especially brands like Strasser
no wood-inlay deco
form-factor is different
probably no X-bass although I'm not sure
somewhere on the net there is a guy that explains all the aspects of a true Steirische in so far that some Steirische "bauweise" build instructions are traditionally required for it to be called a true Steirische harmonika

Hey Waldo,
Your Baffetti Norteno accordion should have arrived by now: what about an update?🤔

Last edited:
Right again, Dingo. I have been waiting until I had something to report beyond how it looks (which is awesome). I now have about 6 months experience under my belt (straps?), and I am very pleased with the instrument. There is much to report relative to going to DBA from CBA, as well as my experience (read learning curve) vis a vis musical genre. In order to advance my ability on the DBA as rapidly as possible, I decided that instead of visiting the forum every time I thought of it (note one month delay in this response), I would instead pick up the Dino and practice. The end result has been much more practice and lots less posting (and wasted time cruising the I-net). I will be composing my update over the Christmas holidays and post it sometime soon.
Bottom line though is; I like it, A lot!

Right again, Dingo. I have been waiting until I had something to report beyond how it looks (which is awesome). I now have about 6 months experience under my belt (straps?), and I am very pleased with the instrument. There is much to report relative to going to DBA from CBA, as well as my experience (read learning curve) vis a vis musical genre. In order to advance my ability on the DBA as rapidly as possible, I decided that instead of visiting the forum every time I thought of it (note one month delay in this response), I would instead pick up the Dino and practice. The end result has been much more practice and lots less posting (and wasted time cruising the I-net). I will be composing my update over the Christmas holidays and post it sometime soon.
Bottom line though is; I like it, A lot!
A wise choice!!!! Congrats with the Gabbanelli.

Hey Tom,
Not sure where the Gabbanelli came from (probably from the thread title) but I scored a Dino Baffetti TexMex II.
Respecting the long ago question of my intended first song, it's turned out to be La Nopelera! Followed fairly quickly with La Piedera (The Rock Quarry). Currently working on La Tuna, my favorite Border Tune so far. Full report to follow soon (I'm half done with it).

Last edited:
Hey Tom,
Not sure where the Gabbanelli came from (probably from the thread title) but I scored a Dino Baffetti TexMex II.
Respecting the long ago question of my intended first song, it's turned out to be La Nopelera! Followed fairly quickly with La Piedera (The Rock Quarry). Currently working on La Tuna, my favorite Border Tune so far. Full report to follow soon (I'm half done with it).
That's great Waldo (yeah, hard to keep track!). Sounds like you've got the Flaco dvd 😉. I love that sound and hope it's going so well for you. Merry Christmas!

That's affirmative, Dingo. Same box but; different grille, black & gold color and a bit different tuning. I think I posted some pics somewhere here.
I'm pretty sure the clip you posted was from the Baffetti Extravaganza in Monterrey, MX. I'd like to go to one of these events as there a BUNCH of Mexican accordion guys there checking out Baffettis.
Baffetti TexMex update posted in new thread.

Back