• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

No, do not adjust your screen!😄

I heard that those curved treble boxes are a nightmare to keep in good shape or repair and thus went out of favor.

Anyone here want to comment? The one in the video seems OK.

I heard that those curved treble boxes are a nightmare to keep in good shape or repair and thus went out of favor.

Anyone here want to comment? The one in the video seems OK.

The player is a highly reputable squeezebox repairer and restorer resident in the SW of England.
Look up his offerings on youtube for examples of many and various instruments and tunes.

I am wondering why the keyboard at that time was designed with curve?
To follow the natural curve your hand follows, considering that the elbow is your pivot point. So the upper arm doesn't need to move at all, just pivot your forearm using the elbow as pivot point and then the hand naturally stays positioned above the keys. as you go through the octaves.

To follow the natural curve your hand follows, considering that the elbow is your pivot point. So the upper arm doesn't need to move at all, just pivot your forearm using the elbow as pivot point and then the hand naturally stays positioned above the keys. as you go through the octaves.
Thanks, that's great design, I didn't notice it. But do you know why the design is not popular now? I tried to fix my elbow and just move my upper arm, but seems it is some not natural when playing those low keys...or it is just my feeling? I already used to move my elbow higher when playing low keys...

The forearm/elbow pivot point movement makes practical sense but I can't help thinking that employing the curve in the keyboard could just be another expression of stylish design so common in that era. I've never been involved in the repair etc. of a curved keyboard but would have taken one on had a suitable instrument come along. An interesting design/construction feature must be the keyboard axle(s) (if they are fitted). Are the keys individually fitted (removable one at at time)? If axle(s) are fitted how were they drilled during construction?

I just picked up a curved keyboard Hohner.

I had played the instrument back in February of this year and was charmed by the novel keyboard and attracted to the instrument's tuning and sound. I was surprised to discover the very instrument being offered on Ebay by the owner as he had told me that he had searched for years to find a good example of this Hohner model to service and enjoy playing. As I had evaluated it and played it earlier in the year I was pleased to secure the accordion. Fortunately, it's located just 65 miles from me so I can go fetch it home and not subject it to the rigors of shipping or potentially expose it to Texas heat during shipment.

I am curious to know more about how the keyboard is constructed as well as the relative durability and main weaknesses of the curved keyboard design.

I have read and heard that the piano accordions from the first half of the 20th century were "shrinking violets," both delicate and fragile and not a good bet to own for the purpose of actually playing. This one had a positive, substantial feel when I played it.

It's hard to pin a date on manufacture of these curved keyboard Hohners. I love anything vintage and enjoy learning all I can about anything I add to the menagerie of collectible stuff kept on hand here. I've seen information that dates this model to the early 1920s, but recently saw some information online that indicated they were produced from 1932 to 1938 in the quantity of around 2000 instruments.

Does anyone know of documented valid production dates and figures?

It won't be the main squeeze here, but sure has potential for enjoyment playing Celtic tunes, slow airs, and just general puttering with. I don't think I will wag it out and about much, just keeping it for at home use.

The player is a highly reputable squeezebox repairer and restorer resident in the SW of England.
Look up his offerings on youtube for examples of many and various instruments and tunes.

You beat me to it! Been watching this jaunty and swellegant character for years. I love his taste in music for the accordion. He seems to have a special affinity and flair for small PAs and showing what can be done with them, though there are plenty of the big guys on view as well. Not to mention, a special affinity and flair for haberdashery products.

Last edited:
Back