• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Nice "growly " accordion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dingo, it is a good sound, I like this song too, and will probably post my own amateurish version pretty soon.

Not sure what you mean with "deep raspy sound". The raspiness I hear is distortion from bad recording (probably clipping).
Recording accordion so it sounds nice and natural is hard...

Dingo40 pid=71049 dateline=1585997897 said:
I like this tune and the deep raspy sound of this accordion. :)

Hi Dingo,

Most of the stuff I like is fairly straightforward easy going material such as here, although as Paul says the accordion is a difficult instrument to record well. 

The lady clearly enjoys playing to entertain, and thats all that matters.  

Without wanting to hijack the thread, take a look at these gentlemen, playing a no frills bog standard paso in an accordion ensemble. It doesnt get much simpler than that, but considering an accordion in most of Spain is a rarity, its great to see them all on stage together. 

maugein96 pid=71056 dateline=1586011293 said:
Without wanting to hijack the thread, take a look at these gentlemen, playing a no frills bog standard paso in an accordion ensemble. It doesnt get much simpler than that, but considering an accordion in most of Spain is a rarity, its great to see them all on stage together. 

It doesnt get much simpler than that, and yet the bass player gets it wrong the whole time... Ouch!

debra pid=71058 dateline=1586012392 said:
maugein96 pid=71056 dateline=1586011293 said:

It doesnt get much simpler than that, and yet the bass player gets it wrong the whole time... Ouch!

Paul,

I posted the wrong clip, but I see what you mean about the bass player. He puts another stunning performance in here (in the correct clip):-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYw9M6KlHYXOqueauZsROPw

I couldnt actually hear him in any of the tracks, but there is a distinct lack of hand and finger movement.

maugein96 pid=71061 dateline=1586020702 said:
Paul,

I posted the wrong clip, but I see what you mean about the bass player. He puts another stunning performance in here (in the correct clip):-

I couldnt actually hear him in any of the tracks, but there is a distinct lack of hand and finger movement.

Fewer mistakes in this clip but more than enough to bother me. I play bass (on bass accordion, not bass guitar like in these clips) so I always pay attention to the bass. The bass is loud and clear in these clips, but you need speakers (or headphones) that let you hear bass. A phone for instance will not let you hear any amount of bass to speak of unless you use headphones.

Coming back to the original topic, growl is the technical term for the (mostly faint) noise an accordion makes when you let go of a bass and the reed is still vibrating. Because the sound of an accordion is 99% the air flow being interrupted by the vibrating reed the sound made by the reed vibration (without air flow) is almost non-existent. Only the deepest bass reeds vibrate enough when you let go of the key or button to still hear that vibration. It is common for the bass player to still hear it (and certainly to feel it), but others can only hear it when the bass note is the last note to sound. I have checked several of my recordings and in all fairness, if there is any growl to be heard (like after the last note of a song) it is very faint. So growl is certainly overrated.
In the video posted at the start of this thread I cannot hear any growl, even with the volume cranked up on my headphones that have strong bass.

debra pid=71062 dateline=1586022038 said:
maugein96 pid=71061 dateline=1586020702 said:
Paul,

Fewer mistakes in this clip but more than enough to bother me. I play bass (on bass accordion, not bass guitar like in these clips) so I always pay attention to the bass. The bass is loud and clear in these clips, but you need speakers (or headphones) that let you hear bass. A phone for instance will not let you hear any amount of bass to speak of unless you use headphones.

Coming back to the original topic, growl is the technical term for the (mostly faint) noise an accordion makes when you let go of a bass and the reed is still vibrating. Because the sound of an accordion is 99% the air flow being interrupted by the vibrating reed the sound made by the reed vibration (without air flow) is almost non-existent. Only the deepest bass reeds vibrate enough when you let go of the key or button to still hear that vibration. It is common for the bass player to still hear it (and certainly to feel it), but others can only hear it when the bass note is the last note to sound. I have checked several of my recordings and in all fairness, if there is any growl to be heard (like after the last note of a song) it is very faint. So growl is certainly overrated.
In the video posted at the start of this thread I cannot hear any growl, even with the volume cranked up on my headphones that have strong bass.

My laptop speakers are not very good at all, and the cat made short work of my headphones a few weeks back. Consequently, I cannot hear any bass sounds, as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back