• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

new Chinese Hohnica or old German Hohnica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanagirl

Reaction score
I traded my Juwel in for an Aschat to get the larger keys, and of course started missing that smaller box but not the compact keys.

So I would like to get a small "fun" accordion, preferably a 32 bass but those are rather rare, so will have to get a 48 I guess.

Would the Chinese Hohnica be better than taking a chance on an older German model that is supposed to be in excellent condition?   One thing about the Chinese version is it would be quite easy in the States to return free of charge.

What do you think? Edit: Probably the new Hohnica would cost $100 more.

take the new one..

that 100 is assurance for the risk of a tuning job on the older one

The way I understand it Hohner moved its machines for making the lower end models to China and is making them there using the old German tools but with Chinese parts, like springs for instance that break more easily than the old German ones.
The same designs are used for Honica accordions but these are not made using the Hohner equipment. The are likely of similar (low) quality.

I have personally heard an older Hohner Verdi II N side by side with a newer Chinese made Verdi II and the old one sounded clearly better, especially the bass side. I would avoid all accordions that are made in China, whether they have a known European brand name like Hohner or not. (Note that high end Hohner accordions are made in Italy.)

It really might be worth your while to go a few hundred higher for a Weltmeister Perle 26/48.  It will respond significantly better than the Asian Hohnica or the East Geman/Czech one.   Liberty Bellows in Philly has plenty in different delightful colors.   My 48-bass is a Perle and I love it.  Very lightweight and responsive. I do have other PAs with that small of a chassis but they have 60 or 72 basses.  

Smythes Accordion Center in Northern California has a marvelous pearly-pink Delicia 2-voice 27/60 (an interesting spec) newly in stock.  I seem to recall Delicias are a bit heavier than Weltmeisters, but dont hold me to that without confirming. I love 60 bass because in a chassis the size of a 48 bass, you then have chords for all 12 tones.  I never miss the diminished chord:

http://www.smythesaccordioncenter.com/piano--chromatic-accordions.html.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back