• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

neilson

Reaction score
Dear community,

I've been considering purchasing a new 120 bass acoustic accordion, ideally made in Germany or Italy. From my research, it seems that Hohners may not be the best option as most of them are manufactured in China.
Giulietties are popular in the US and Brazil, but they are quite expensive. Scandalli accordions are also over 5000 EUR when new.
I haven't been able to find any new Excelsior accordions on German websites.

Additionally, I've come across other brands on websites, but they don't seem to be played by professional musicians, so I am not sure of their quality. However, I am certain there are other reputable brands available.

I am looking to buy a new accordion as I want to own it for a long time and have no plans to sell it in the future.

What would you recommend?

Thank you

Piatanesi. Underrated, and affordable. I love 'em! Artigianale. Played by many of the contemporary pros in Brasil. Ie. Bia Socek: (Just sayin' )

images-4.jpeg

Last edited:
i recommend you drive South for a weeks vacation,
stop for your overnight at the White Horse gasthaus, Innsbruck,
then wind your way down to the Ancona region.. the Hotel Parco
in Castlefidardo will keep you for a few days as you visit the museum
and a few factories. Speak little and play a lot everywhere you go
and they will fall all over themselves to put more accordions in your hands

once you decide which you like best, cash speaks the loudest in Italy..
it always has.. it always will

ciao

What level of experience?
What musical goals?
What budget?
Willing to look at used or strictly new?
intermediate player looking forward to becoming a professional. Playing mostly forró and choro (Brazilian music) and willing to spend around 4K EUR on a strictly new instrument.

i recommend you drive South for a weeks vacation,
stop for your overnight at the White Horse gasthaus, Innsbruck,
then wind your way down to the Ancona region.. the Hotel Parco
in Castlefidardo will keep you for a few days as you visit the museum
and a few factories. Speak little and play a lot everywhere you go
and they will fall all over themselves to put more accordions in your hands

once you decide which you like best, cash speaks the loudest in Italy..
it always has.. it always will

ciao
This place you recommended looks promising :)
So many factories and stores!! 8h drive from my place, so your road trip plans make a lot of sense 😎
Thanks for this amazing tip.

Attachments

• E0589777-403A-4569-B4A4-9F0C9D3CE0D9.png
    E0589777-403A-4569-B4A4-9F0C9D3CE0D9.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 6
I fully second Ventura's message: take a vacation near Castelfidardo and make appointments to visit several factories and try instruments. Hotel Parco is indeed a good place to stay. It's in the spot where the Crucianelli factory used to be (burned down in the early 70's).
Good quality new accordions (full size 4 voice, cassotto, 41/120, no melody bass) will set you back roughly anywhere between about 7.000 and 12.000. Accordions have become more and more expensive at a rate that exceeds inflation. A good place to compare accordions closer to you was the Frankfurter Musikmesse, but alas this has not survived the Covid shutdown period.
You won't find an Excelsior factory as this company was absorbed by Pigini. (That also brought down the Hohner Morino line as the N and S series were made by Excelsior. Newer Morino's were made by Pigini and just were not the same.) You will see that Bugari and Zero Sette are in fact the same factory. There are other factories that make several brands that were at some point in term independent. Victoria is worth a look, bang in the center of the town. And you must visit Beltuna as this is undoubtedly the most innovative accordion maker. They are also possibly the most expensive.
There are several more small accordion builders which you can find just by following sign posts you find along the streets.
The museum is nice to see many very old instruments, but you cannot try any of them. (They just have two recent accordions to try.)
If you want to find something for less than 5.000 you will only be disappointed when you look at new instruments. You can get good used accordions for under 5.000 but to find them Castelfidardo is not the place to be any more than anywhere else...

I fully second Ventura's message: take a vacation near Castelfidardo and make appointments to visit several factories and try instruments. Hotel Parco is indeed a good place to stay. It's in the spot where the Crucianelli factory used to be (burned down in the early 70's).
Good quality new accordions (full size 4 voice, cassotto, 41/120, no melody bass) will set you back roughly anywhere between about 7.000 and 12.000. Accordions have become more and more expensive at a rate that exceeds inflation. A good place to compare accordions closer to you was the Frankfurter Musikmesse, but alas this has not survived the Covid shutdown period.
You won't find an Excelsior factory as this company was absorbed by Pigini. (That also brought down the Hohner Morino line as the N and S series were made by Excelsior. Newer Morino's were made by Pigini and just were not the same.) You will see that Bugari and Zero Sette are in fact the same factory. There are other factories that make several brands that were at some point in term independent. Victoria is worth a look, bang in the center of the town. And you must visit Beltuna as this is undoubtedly the most innovative accordion maker. They are also possibly the most expensive.
There are several more small accordion builders which you can find just by following sign posts you find along the streets.
The museum is nice to see many very old instruments, but you cannot try any of them. (They just have two recent accordions to try.)
If you want to find something for less than 5.000 you will only be disappointed when you look at new instruments. You can get good used accordions for under 5.000 but to find them Castelfidardo is not the place to be any more than anywhere else...
Paul is a highly respected member of this forum with excellent advice. However, I respectfully beg to differ on his opinion of what a "good quality new accordion" will cost you. (Especially if you take Ventura's advice and bring cash.)

Maybe it's a semantic issue. I believe Paul is referring to a high to excellent quality new accordion at list price, as opposed to a good quality new accordion at market price.

Go see the Piatanesi or Ottavianelli accordions. Bring cash. Tell them I sent you. Look like a real forró sanfoneiro. Be happy.

LOL... oh man, so sorry... "Accordion Heaven" for me is not a website or store, it's my pet name for Castelfidardo! :D
It is on your roadtrip after World of Accordions, however. I guess that makes sense!

Paul is a highly respected member of this forum with excellent advice. However, I respectfully beg to differ on his opinion of what a "good quality new accordion" will cost you. (Especially if you take Ventura's advice and bring cash.)

Maybe it's a semantic issue. I believe Paul is referring to a high to excellent quality new accordion at list price, as opposed to a good quality new accordion at market price.

Go see the Piatanesi or Ottavianelli accordions. Bring cash. Tell them I sent you. Look like a real forró sanfoneiro. Be happy.
Going to Castelfidardo, cash in hand, to buy a new accordion is great advice.
I was not talking about list prices, but we may be talking about a different quality of accordion. Take for instance a Bugari Seniorfisa versus a Bugari Artist Cassotto. Big difference in price, yet both are 4 voice 41/120... So it all depends on what Neilson is looking for.

Going to Castelfidardo, cash in hand, to buy a new accordion is great advice.
I was not talking about list prices, but we may be talking about a different quality of accordion. Take for instance a Bugari Seniorfisa versus a Bugari Artist Cassotto. Big difference in price, yet both are 4 voice 41/120... So it all depends on what Neilson is looking for.
Exactly. Thanks, Paul!

Jerry askes the right question, because it comes down to getting the best new accordion for YOUR budget.

But, really, it doesn't matter because the most important thing is to have the right hat for the style of music you intend to play....

20230126_095749.jpg

It appears that I'm going to need "some hats" ! Might be a good idea, given the condition of the crop on my head !

It appears that I'm going to need "some hats" ! Might be a good idea, given the condition of the crop on my head !
If you play "Phantom of the Opera". please don't wear that half mask face thingie (it's been done by Richard Noel already)... LOLOL

Dear community,

I've been considering purchasing a new 120 bass acoustic accordion, ideally made in Germany or Italy. From my research, it seems that Hohners may not be the best option as most of them are manufactured in China.
Giulietties are popular in the US and Brazil, but they are quite expensive. Scandalli accordions are also over 5000 EUR when new.
I haven't been able to find any new Excelsior accordions on German websites.

Additionally, I've come across other brands on websites, but they don't seem to be played by professional musicians, so I am not sure of their quality. However, I am certain there are other reputable brands available.

I am looking to buy a new accordion as I want to own it for a long time and have no plans to sell it in the future.

What would you recommend?

Thank you
Stradella? Vercelli?

Here on the Verde accordions website, there is a configurator and you can customize your accordion. https://www.fisarmonicheverde.com/it/fisarmoniche-a-piano

There are dozen of workshops even in this area. Here is a list (Italy) but I don't know if it's updated. If I can help you please contact me

Last edited:
Back