• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

My thumb injury revisited, and upcoming surgery

Reaction score
I posted before about a tendon injury I have been suffering in my right thumb. I am feeling it on and off at the baseof the thumb, especially when I an crossing under on scale patterns and doing octave stretches. I was tentatively diagnosed with DeQuarvain's tenosynovitis, even though the Finkelstein test was not that painful. The best advice I received on this forum was several months of rest. Being a working accordionist, this was not possible. I have tried some good stretches, massage, and exercises, but the discomfort persists. I have been scheduled for occupational therapy next month and I am optimistic that I will learn how to manage.

To add insult to injury, I developed a ganglion cyst on the knuckle of my right middle finger which is also slightly painful. I am scheduled to have this removed in March. I am grateful that the Veteran's Affairs Administration authorized this procedure for me. Because I perform professionally, the doctors were able to authorize a procedure that would normally be considered elective or cosmetic. I hope the recovery doesn't take long, or result in trouble with the joint.

Though battered and worn, I am determined to continue to play. I will share what I learn in the interest of possibly helping others who experience the same conditions. Performing arts medicine is a relatively new branch of sports medicine and I think I will have my first experience with University of Michigan staff who are affiliated with the Ann Arbor, MI Veteran's Affairs Hospital.

We all face possible injuries and illnesses that sooner or later in life limit our abilities to play at a high level. Dupuytren in my left pinkie made an and to my goal of getting good at playing melody bass before I even reached the point I would call "mediocre"... But I'm thankful it wasn't on my right hand. My wife had a few accidents and can no longer play long fast runs with her right hand. (But she is amazing with chord sequences!) We play in ensembles and with parts adapted to what we can still do very well we can still enjoy playing for many years to come! Just concentrate on what you are still good at and work around what doesn go so well and the joy in playing the accordion can still be there!

Just think of Rudolf Würthner! He lost two fingers of his right hand in a harvesting machine accident, turned his instrument upside down and went on to become one of the most renowned soloists, music arrangers, and accordion orchestra leaders. He also wrote methods for both the B system he played as well as C system (considering he played melody with the left hand, he was not really using either method himself).

I wish you the best of luck Top. Do you play in a military band or ????

AT,
Sorry to hear about the recurring difficulties and sincere best wishes for a speedy and lasting recovery!🙂

hang in there
last week I accidentally I fell and twisted my arm in a way that completely overstretched my biceps tendons and chest muscles
3 days in I can't move the left part of my torso, arm or neck without great pain
trying to make the best of it by clearing my schedule and sending my accordion off to get it overhauled
but I guess you have bigger problems
all the best to you

last week I accidentally I fell and twisted my arm in a way that completely overstretched my biceps tendons and chest muscles
3 days in I can't move the left part of my torso, arm or neck without great pain
trying to make the best of it by clearing my schedule and sending my accordion off to get it overhauled
Wow, so sorry to hear that Jozz! Take anti-inflammatories and don’t exert!

I posted before about a tendon injury I have been suffering in my right thumb...
Yeah one has to be super careful with tendons, depending on if strained or torn. Some tendon tears after surgery still may mandate a year of minimal use before (usually full) function returns.
Because I perform professionally, the doctors were able to authorize a procedure that would normally be considered elective or cosmetic. I hope the recovery doesn't take long, or result in trouble with the joint.
With the costs for medical treatment in the USA being so outrageous, it is good they are taking care of you, and being tenacious about is good, but don’t push things to the point that it would extend the duration or leave you with partial symptoms.

Good luck and all hopes you return back to health soon!

I posted before about a tendon injury I have been suffering in my right thumb. I am feeling it on and off at the baseof the thumb, especially when I an crossing under on scale patterns and doing octave stretches. I was tentatively diagnosed with DeQuarvain's tenosynovitis, even though the Finkelstein test was not that painful. The best advice I received on this forum was several months of rest. Being a working accordionist, this was not possible. I have tried some good stretches, massage, and exercises, but the discomfort persists. I have been scheduled for occupational therapy next month and I am optimistic that I will learn how to manage.

To add insult to injury, I developed a ganglion cyst on the knuckle of my right middle finger which is also slightly painful. I am scheduled to have this removed in March. I am grateful that the Veteran's Affairs Administration authorized this procedure for me. Because I perform professionally, the doctors were able to authorize a procedure that would normally be considered elective or cosmetic. I hope the recovery doesn't take long, or result in trouble with the joint.

Though battered and worn, I am determined to continue to play. I will share what I learn in the interest of possibly helping others who experience the same conditions. Performing arts medicine is a relatively new branch of sports medicine and I think I will have my first experience with University of Michigan staff who are affiliated with the Ann Arbor, MI Veteran's Affairs Hospital.
It's not clear from this post, to me at least, which problem(s) the surgery is for. Base of thumb problem is quite common with age. I have it on both hands, and it got worse on the right hand when I was working with a stubborn key spindle in the shop. I should have use a drill chuck at low speed. I have had to use different than piano style fingering on fast passages ever since the beginning of the problem.
I take MSM supplements for it, and I try to avoid hitting or squeezing the joint. Also stretching exercises help some. I suppose you could also sleep with a splint on it.

All the best - please recover soon

hang in there
but I guess you have bigger problems
all the best to you
I’m sorry to hear about your injury. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Back