• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

My Funny Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cheers for watching and general encouragement...been toying with this one since Valentines day and posting as february about to end...messy i know..as my love life generally is...
Im gonna disappear now for a while...the standard on the I Did That thread has really jumped recently so im off to bury my head in some theory and technique sessions, easy on dudes...

It's not perfect, but It's pretty good! Honest... I've been trying to produce a half way decent recording of a couple of simple folky style waltzes this evening. At one point i wondred if I was able to play a CD, never mind an accordion...Enjoy your theory and practice

Hi Terry, you might want to listen to some diverse versions of this song to get some ideas to create some separation between the hands. Because to the melody is in one manner it doesn't mean that the LH needs to be the same. IMO this song especially on the Acc, could benefit from a more moving part accenting your descending bass line more. Like a 60's pop ballad? (At the same tempo.)
The Dominant bass note is often key to getting the LH to open out and to move, not so with this particular song but as a general rule. Think more like a bassist?

Best Regards, BobM.

Well played you. It's no small thing to put up videos for "peer review." I enjoyed it.
Tom

Ah Bob how lovely to see you beady ears are lurking about again..........and there was me thinking how pleased youd be id paid attention to one of your suggestions re scale/chords on the stradella and played C/Cmin. B/G7, Bb?Cmin, A/Fmin etc....as the rundown...
Its not that i dont hear what you say half the time...its just my fingers havent developed the habit of doing it yet.....its still multitasking to me to totally seperate the left from the right...
Tom i dont mind a bit of peer pressure guiding me...i need the help...
as i said im gonna disappear a while and poke into a bit of theory/technique rather than tunes ... been checking this guy and find it easy enough to digest....

losthobos said:
..........and there was me thinking how pleased youd be id paid attention to one of your suggestions re scale/chords on the stradella and played C/Cmin. B/G7, Bb?Cmin, A/Fmin etc....as the rundown...

Sorry, I picked up on that but failed to comment, my bad. Im still a little uncertain about whether youve fully grasped my point about having an independent (ish) LH, by starting with a 2 beat rhythm and then moving the notes around to create the rhythm that you want.
Ive been off the box for a while, having bigger fish to fry work wise. I retire soon and plan to cease trading as a full time musician, and hope to get going again and maybe buy a Melodica to sharpen up the RH before returning to the PA and being Mr Grumpy once more..

Bob.."Bigger fish to fry??" I'd been imagining you taking that puppy for endless walks...bet they've grown some...
No i'm not sure i've grasped your drift totally either... by 2 beat do you mean playing on the 1 and 3 or getting more swing motion by playing on the 2 and 4...it's a complex area these stradella rhythms...you need to retire asap and make a study video for hungry foxes like me...

This is a fiendishly difficult piece to interpret.
It's well know, has lush chords and no easy rhythm.
You played it with some nice touches (if not a little hesitatant at times).
You've inspired me to have another go and see what I can do with it this time.

losthobos said:
Bob..Bigger fish to fry?? Id been imagining you taking that puppy for endless walks...bet theyve grown some...
No im not sure ive grasped your drift totally either... by 2 beat do you mean playing on the 1 and 3 or getting more swing motion by playing on the 2 and 4...its a complex area these stradella rhythms...you need to retire asap and make a study video for hungry foxes like me...

The Bigger fish, has been trying to get to the end of my professional career before the work completely dried up. I used to play a lot of Bass Gtr and D/Bass in bands for dancing in hotels and ballrooms (amongst many other things) with a wide variety of of musicians, so when I got hold of the Stradella it seemed to suggest ways to re-create some of these rhythms.

But sorting rhythms is much easier if theyre named and retained. Using the Waltz as an example; a Slow Waltz and a Viennese waltz have the same components but its the speed thats different, also the Viennese has more of a swing to it.*

But to make a slow waltz more interesting you could remove the 3rd beat (chord) which creates a little tension, putting it back for a chorus. It doesnt change the fact that its waltz. Or add a quaver Dominant bass note before the next Root note to give it a lift, but its still a Waltz. And this is why its so important to practice rhythms on their own, so that you can dovetail the 2 hands together without having to think so much about it.

The same applies to a 2 beat rhythm, which includes a Polkas, old style Country and Western, or various Folk danceable tunes, its still a 2 Beat and has the same basic components, in this case Bass Chord, Bass Chord, but this is where it gets interesting, a Root to Chord rhythm only, has less apparent depth than one that includes a Dominant bass where it can be fitted in, and its this Dominant bass note that opens the door to other rhythms.

Getting back to the OT, theres many different valid versions out there. Its not a tragic song, even though the lyric at the end suggests a little doubt or need. I imagine this played in time with a flowing RH going to chords on the longer notes but the LH playing a more juxtaposed 60s pop ballad rhythm, B C BB C. etc etc..

Cheers Bob...you're making as good sense as ever...my metronome is loaded... Boom cha Boom Boom Cha ;)

Terry (if you're still here) I thought what you'd done with the tune was great. I don't know enough harmony to interpret it but the way it moved from a darker feel at the start to a brighter more open feel towards the end was excellent. Maybe that's all written into the music, I don't know. I can appreciate Bob's point about the two beat rhythm - as I remember, you did something similar with Polka Dots and Moonbeams (?). I can imagine these with a drummer with brushes. At the same time I find your recent habit of throwing the phrases into mid-air with a bit of silence around the, very emotional. For someone like me who has trouble recognising a IV chord, I also find your videos very helpful because they show me in close up just what the effect of a change in harmony can be. Anyway I look forward to hearing what you come up with when you come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back