• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Music stand dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy girl

Reaction score
How helpful is it to utilise a music stand to hold a heavy accordion when practicing sitting down?

My husband has suggested that I use one instead of changing my instrument. This, he theorises, will support my weak shoulder which has undergone surgery.

I have serious reservations, & hate the idea; holding my accordion is an important aspect to the enjoyment of playing, & I can’t imagine a stand, which holds weight, will alleviate or protect shoulder movement necessary to operate the bellows.

Getting into the habit of resting the instrument on the knee & playing with improved good posture (As described many times on this forum) is better advice in my view, rather than utilizing a bulky stand. This issue, relating to good posture when playing is now sorted.

Changing to a lighter instrument with less bells & whistles is another appealing option, but then I would more than likely get bored without all those registers/couplers.

What is the solution? Do you have a stand & is it helpful to you? Would you ever consider using one & are accordion straps superfluous when using such a contraption?

Your advice, experience & wisdom relating to the usefulness of an accordion stand will be very helpful & appreciated; I need to calm my confused mind & get back into the swing of things soon.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I have a friend who's having problems with his shoulder, and he decided to stop playing for two months, let it heal, and then play again...

Also... can you post a photo of you, playing? we need to see how is your accordion sitting in your left leg, the possition of the accordion in your body, if the straps are correct, also if you use a backstrap, your arms position, all that things are really important. Maybe a video of you playing, and the camera moving arround your body to watch how are you setting with the accordion. Then we can give you advice. You didn't mention what accordion are you playing, wich is also important.

I hope your shoulder problem heal soon, and be able to play for hours without problems. Playing with a stand would kill the feeling

Which shoulder, Happy Girl?
I have a recurrent pain in my left shoulder. I find playing with my left elbow adjoining my ribs very helpful.?

physiotherapist? power training? yoga?

my solution to a nagging shoulder/arm issue was: a lighter accordion

There are stands made for carrying squeeze boxes to play standing up. They are much much sturdier than music stands, most of which seem to struggle to hold more than a few sheets. Somewhere on YouTube there is a video of a bride playing a small accordion at her wedding reception. I think she was using it to stop the bellows from damaging her dress. I looked for it but couldn’t find it.

Hi Happy Girl,

I have this Konig Meyer stand. You will see a lot of professional players in Italy use this stand. It works really well for standing up if you want to play a heavy accordion for a long time.

You can use it sitting down, but it doesn't adjust for sitting in a real low chair, that is you may have to use a taller chair. When sitting down, you can tilt the accordion back so that it is against your body. (You probably can standing too, but I have not tried and don't have it set up right now. )

And yes, you do not use your straps with this stand.

Basically, I much prefer to play without the stand, however I am not getting any younger and can see a time when I use it more often.

I purchased a second, smaller and lighter 72 bass accordion for "strolling" and picking up and practicing. I understand not wanting to totally switch to a smaller, less functions accordion.

Another factor is a good, adjustable backstrap. This can make a huge difference.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, no one should have to suffer to play.

Last edited:
Thank you Tom for the answers I have been seeking. The video is excellent & very informative& I am now reassured this product is not for me.

Reactions: Tom
Here's a clip (thanks JimD) on left-hand technique which may be of help with the shoulder??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back