• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Monkey Island Woodtick cover

Yffisch

Active member
Joined
Mar 18, 2015
Messages
150
Reaction score
1
Ive put a lot of effort on this Monkey Island cover since it was quite hard to learn all those notes by ear since all the parts are quite similar to each other.  But I just had to create a cover on that tune as a project. This time I also put much more effort with the video so I hope you appreciate this one. Im quite satisfied myself :)

[video=youtube]
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,187
Reaction score
217
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Very well done! Good music, good video and I liked it, and I can appreciate how much work goes in to a multi-tracked video!

One question... when you record an acoustic instrument, there shouldn't be any bleed over from track to track, meaning you cannot play through any loudspeakers the other tracks while you are recording one, as you don't want to "pollute" the current track being recorded.

What do you do to prevent this?
 

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Joined
Jul 16, 2014
Messages
3,821
Reaction score
665
Location
Eindhoven, the Nnetherlannds
Yffisch said:
...This time I also put much more effort with the video so I hope you appreciate this one. I'm quite satisfied myself :)

First I thought you had a phone in selfie mode (creating a mirror image), but on closer look it appears you are playing the accordion upside down.
Any special reason for that?
 

Yffisch

Active member
Joined
Mar 18, 2015
Messages
150
Reaction score
1
JerryPH said:
Very well done!  Good music, good video and I liked it, and I can appreciate how much work goes in to a multi-tracked video!

One question... when you record an acoustic instrument, there shouldn't be any bleed over from track to track, meaning you cannot play through any loudspeakers the other tracks while you are recording one, as you don't want to "pollute" the current track being recorded.

What do you do to prevent this?

Thanks a lot for your comment and I'm glad you liked it :)
Well, the video is only playback so I record the tracks with my earphones on. I use to start by learning the accordion tune as good as it can be. Then I make a recording with one bass mic and one mic for the main hand. Of course the bass mic picks up some of the melody, and the opposite, but it's not that bad.
After that I listen to my accordion track with my earphones which does not leak any sound at all, and I record the other instruments!


debra said:
Yffisch said:
...This time I also put much more effort with the video so I hope you appreciate this one. I'm quite satisfied myself :)

First I thought you had a phone in selfie mode (creating a mirror image), but on closer look it appears you are playing the accordion upside down.
Any special reason for that?

Hehe, yes it's upside down. I just turned it over when I started playing because I'm left handed and that felt more natural for me. No other explanation. Then I stuck to that technique even though some of my accordion teachers I had said "You will never become a good accordionist by playing like that, you have to re-learn the right way". But I ignored them and kept doing what I did (even though I got extremely sad when they said that to me).

jozz said:
exemplary performance!

as is all your MI stuff

Thanks jozz! I'm happy you like them since I've put a lot of effort on all of them. I really don't want them to be shitty since they are extremely important for me to be good. Other music that I've created, I usually put 5-6 hours and then they are finished. Usually the result sucks. But the MI tunes are days/weeks of work :)
 

Eddy Yates

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2018
Messages
814
Reaction score
40
Location
Montana, USA
Wow! A left-handed accordion playing monkey!!!
Very fun, especially the vocal. But I don’t understand the language....
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,187
Reaction score
217
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Yffisch said:
Thanks a lot for your comment and I'm glad you liked it :)
Well, the video is only playback so I record the tracks with my earphones on.





I did, I really liked it.  :)

I also used small earphones and route the wire behind me, but only on the acoustic accordion.  The cheap small earphones that do not seal well work best for me, it leaks in the acoustic accordion in to my ears without letting any sound leak to the external microphones which can be a couple feet away anyway.


The digital setup has no mics, so it is impossible to capture external sounds.  This makes recording in a noisy basement with the furnace working at full blast a 100% zero problem situation... one of the huge advantages of al all digital setups, zero feedback, zero interference between tracks/instruments and zero chance of bleed-through, unless I want it to do so in the mix.

Thanks again!
 

jozz

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Joined
Nov 7, 2017
Messages
1,584
Reaction score
301
Location
The Netherlands
JerryPH said:
I also used small earphones and route the wire behind me, but only on the acoustic accordion.  The cheap small earphones that do not seal well work best for me, it leaks in the acoustic accordion in to my ears without letting any sound leak to the external microphones which can be a couple feet away anyway.

Jerry, do you not have an option to live monitor your acoustic through your audio interface? Seems a bit inefficient to not put it on your in-ears.
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,187
Reaction score
217
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
jozz said:
JerryPH said:
I also used small earphones and route the wire behind me, but only on the acoustic accordion.  The cheap small earphones that do not seal well work best for me, it leaks in the acoustic accordion in to my ears without letting any sound leak to the external microphones which can be a couple feet away anyway.

Jerry, do you not have an option to live monitor your acoustic through your audio interface? Seems a bit inefficient to not put it on your in-ears.

Yes of course, I "pipe" the acoustic recorded sound through the system but I still want to be able to hear it live.  The only reason for that is just the pleasure of hearing it because that is how I get the biggest pleasure from it.

This may sound funny, but I prefer to record "dry" (meaning no effects at all) and add whatever effects I want, later, during the post processing process.  I know people that wear huge headphones to get accurate sounds, effects and an accurate soundstage, but I certainly do NOT want to be making videos of me wearing a professional sound studio headset... kind of kills the entire visual for me.
 

Anadi

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2019
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
New Zealand
I just watched two of your videos. And I totally approve of your choice of Black Sando! (wife-beater in English?).  I happen to wear a black sando when I play violin, as everything else restricts my bow arm. Anyway, you have inspired me,  I have always wanted to make some violin duet videos and with my collection of sandos I feel that I am at least half way there! But alas, now the thing that truly stops me is my fear that I just don't have guns of sufficient dimension for a youtube video. 

All of you guys (monkeys?) look great and sound even better!
 

Yffisch

Active member
Joined
Mar 18, 2015
Messages
150
Reaction score
1
Eddy Yates pid=64324 dateline=1551985756 said:
Wow! A left-handed accordion playing monkey!!!
Very fun, especially the vocal. But I don’t understand the language....
Haha! Well, now Im not sure what language you mean. There is only woohoo boohoo language in this song :D
 
JerryPH pid=64326 dateline=1551999207 said:
Yffisch pid=64275 dateline=1551555490 said:
Thanks a lot for your comment and Im glad you liked it :)
Well, the video is only playback so I record the tracks with my earphones on.





I did, I really liked it.  :)

I also used small earphones and route the wire behind me, but only on the acoustic accordion.  The cheap small earphones that do not seal well work best for me, it leaks in the acoustic accordion in to my ears without letting any sound leak to the external microphones which can be a couple feet away anyway.


The digital setup has no mics, so it is impossible to capture external sounds.  This makes recording in a noisy basement with the furnace working at full blast a 100% zero problem situation... one of the huge advantages of al all digital setups, zero feedback, zero interference between tracks/instruments and zero chance of bleed-through, unless I want it to do so in the mix.

Thanks again!


I have not experienced any sound leaks yet at least. I have a pair of JTS-CX516 accordion mics, but one of them is buzzing so I only use one on the bass side. For the melody side I use Rode NT-1a and I plug them both in a Focusrite 2i2. The Röde Nt-1A mic picks up the bass a bit of course, but since I record 2 channels at once its not really noticable. And my earphones is completely silent to the outside world. And usually I record the accordion at first so I dont need to have the earphones on. I just free play and record that first. Then I add all the other stuff with earphones, listening to my accordion recording and I play with it. Maybe Im confused by your question and did not really understand what you meant, but I hope it made sense! 
Anadi pid=64337 dateline=1552192217 said:
I just watched two of your videos. And I totally approve of your choice of Black Sando! (wife-beater in English?).  I happen to wear a black sando when I play violin, as everything else restricts my bow arm. Anyway, you have inspired me,  I have always wanted to make some violin duet videos and with my collection of sandos I feel that I am at least half way there! But alas, now the thing that truly stops me is my fear that I just dont have guns of sufficient dimension for a youtube video. 

All of you guys (monkeys?) look great and sound even better!

Hahaha, but a wife beater is the one with holes in? Isnt this a wife beater: https://www.gustextil.se/bilder/artiklar/921011r.jpg ?
But yeah, I usually wear black/white sandos all year long. I totally understand what you mean with restricts your bow arm. You feel completely free with a sando and nothing is in the way which creates a more relaxed feeling. I use my cap as well since that somehow give that extra feeling as well. I dont know why, but it makes me feel less naked and more confident in my playing! I guess its personal.
You could always try to make a video, otherwise you will not know. Though I would say that the mixing/mastering is one of the hardest parts of them all. Together with learning the tune. This tune took me weeeeks to learn by ear so that I could play it from my head. Because all the parts are quite similar and it was very hard to separate them.
Im working on an even harder tune at the moment that is 5 minutes long of unique tones and similar parts all over and its really a shit job to try to differentiate all the parts so that all the notes gets stuck in your head. I work on 1 minute at a time and I repeat that minute until I can free play that part without brain struggle. Then I keep on to the next minute, until Im done, haha.
Thanks a lot for your comment.
 

Anadi

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2019
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
New Zealand
Hahaha, but a wife beater is the one with holes in? Isnt this a wife beater: https://www.gustextil.se/bilder/artiklar/921011r.jpg ?

Maybe, now I am not so sure, since there are so many English language slang terms for this kind of shirt. Speaking of dialects of English language slang, I realize that I used the word guns which is slang for biceps. I just looked it up and it is not even universal English slang, but only used is some dialects and cultures.
 

Yffisch

Active member
Joined
Mar 18, 2015
Messages
150
Reaction score
1
Anadi pid=64376 dateline=1552388675 said:
Hahaha, but a wife beater is the one with holes in? Isnt this a wife beater: https://www.gustextil.se/bilder/artiklar/921011r.jpg ?

Maybe, now I am not so sure, since there are so many English language slang terms for this kind of shirt. Speaking of dialects of English language slang, I realize that I used the word guns which is slang for biceps. I just looked it up and it is not even universal English slang, but only used is some dialects and cultures.

Aha! Yeah, I did not understand what you meant with guns! I thought it was similar to I dont have balls/time/energy of making a youtube video. Now I see what you mean :D
 

Anadi

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2019
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
New Zealand
Yffisch pid=64377 dateline=1552396683 said:
Anadi pid=64376 dateline=1552388675 said:
Hahaha, but a wife beater is the one with holes in? Isnt this a wife beater: https://www.gustextil.se/bilder/artiklar/921011r.jpg ?

Maybe, now I am not so sure, since there are so many English language slang terms for this kind of shirt. Speaking of dialects of English language slang, I realize that I used the word guns which is slang for biceps. I just looked it up and it is not even universal English slang, but only used is some dialects and cultures.

Aha! Yeah, I did not understand what you meant with guns! I thought it was similar to I dont have balls/time/energy of making a youtube video. Now I see what you mean :D

Ok! I started biceps curls today! Just so I can make a video. How long did you have to do biceps curls for, before you made your first video?
 

Yffisch

Active member
Joined
Mar 18, 2015
Messages
150
Reaction score
1
Anadi pid=64386 dateline=1552455936 said:
Yffisch pid=64377 dateline=1552396683 said:
Anadi pid=64376 dateline=1552388675 said:
Hahaha, but a wife beater is the one with holes in? Isnt this a wife beater: https://www.gustextil.se/bilder/artiklar/921011r.jpg ?

Maybe, now I am not so sure, since there are so many English language slang terms for this kind of shirt. Speaking of dialects of English language slang, I realize that I used the word guns which is slang for biceps. I just looked it up and it is not even universal English slang, but only used is some dialects and cultures.

Aha! Yeah, I did not understand what you meant with guns! I thought it was similar to I dont have balls/time/energy of making a youtube video. Now I see what you mean :D

Ok! I started biceps curls today! Just so I can make a video. How long did you have to do biceps curls for, before you made your first video?

Lol, must be the strangest comment Ive seen on this forum :p Well, I started biceps curling 16 years ago, then I quit biceps curling for a couple of years and then I started again. The guns have been 39cm around them back in the days, but now I guess they are only 36cm. Did not really curl for the video, but thats a good idea for my next video to curl a bit before I record it because the muscles gets pumped for a while right after the excersice.
 

Similar threads

Top