• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Midi socket on FR4x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keymn

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I have been noticing the midi socket on my FR4x has been a looser fit. Probably from 100+ plug in/out. Thinking of future preventative maintenance to change this out. I never had the FR4x apart. Is this an outlet soldered onto a circuit board? Like the audio outlets?
So far no issues...
As a backup, is it possible to access midi through the computer port? I heard about a midi host module that some are using to connect midi pedal to FR4x? Maybe a backup plan? Think someone had a post on this?

Why not cut through all the "fixes" and just go wireless MIDI? This is my next planned big project for my 8X later this summer. :)

JerryPH said:
Why not cut through all the "fixes" and just go wireless MIDI? This is my next planned big project for my 8X later this summer. :)
Have MidiJet wireless, but still need socket! Maybe super glue the short midi cable to the box?

Keymn pid=69869 dateline=1581263653 said:
JerryPH pid=69865 dateline=1581260424 said:
Why not cut through all the fixes and just go wireless MIDI?  This is my next planned big project for my 8X later this summer.  :)
Have MidiJet wireless, but still need socket! Maybe super glue the short midi cable to the box?

Ok, I should have been clearer... install the MidiJet… INSIDE the V-accordion... its both invisible from the outside and works to perfection... leaving the MIDI connector unused. The unit itself is also even powered by the V-accordion battery, so one thing less to think about! ;)

wmidi.jpg

Sorry for not being clearer.  :)

JerryPH pid=69881 dateline=1581292160 said:
Why not cut through all the fixes and just go wireless MIDI?  This is my next planned big project for my 8X later this summer.  :)

Ok, I should have been clearer... install the MidiJet… INSIDE the V-accordion... its both invisible from the outside and works to perfection... leaving the MIDI connector unused. The unit itself is also even powered by the V-accordion battery, so one thing less to think about! ;)

wmidi.jpg

After using the MIDI Jet for several years, find it is not perfect. To install internal may be good idea, but any wire mishap, channel interference could be a problem. The downfall of the MIDI Jet is you have to set the din switch for a 30 different channel selection. Believe me, I did a gig under a router, much interference. Recommend channel 30 which I use all the time. Think not a busy channel?
I am sold on MIDI Jet and only problems I had was the accordion MIDI cable would go bad and the frequency module jarred loose out of the socket. Works good in my situation and yes looks bulky on the accordion.
I commend those that have knowledge in these hardware items and can install into an accordion. Looks successful!

Keymn pid=69992 dateline=1582039728 said:

Ok, I should have been clearer... install the MidiJet… INSIDE the V-accordion... its both invisible from the outside and works to perfection... leaving the MIDI connector unused.  The unit itself is also even powered by the V-accordion battery, so one thing less to think about!  ;)

wmidi.jpg

After using the MIDI Jet for several years, find it is not perfect. To install internal may be good idea, but any wire mishap, channel interference could be a problem. The downfall of the MIDI Jet is you have to set the din switch for a 30 different channel selection. Believe me, I did a gig under a router, much interference. Recommend channel 30 which I use all the time. Think not a busy channel?
I am sold on MIDI Jet and only problems I had was the accordion MIDI cable would go bad and the frequency module  jarred loose out of the socket. Works good in my situation and yes looks bulky on the accordion.
I commend those that have knowledge in these hardware items and can install into an accordion. Looks successful!
When I get a chance, I will take a look at the 4x schematics and let you know.  Im no technician, either.   Find someone like Jerry in your area to do whatever you need to do; either replace the MIDI socket or install a wireless midi inside the 4x.

torch pid=70001 dateline=1582098470 said:

Ok, I should have been clearer... install the MidiJet… INSIDE the V-accordion... its both invisible from the outside and works to perfection... leaving the MIDI connector unused.  The unit itself is also even powered by the V-accordion battery, so one thing less to think about!  ;)

wmidi.jpg

I am sold on MIDI Jet and only problems I had was the accordion MIDI cable would go bad and the frequency module  jarred loose out of the socket. Works good in my situation and yes looks bulky on the accordion.
When I get a chance, I will take a look at the 4x schematics and let you know.  Im no technician, either.   Find someone like Jerry in your area to do whatever you need to do; either replace the MIDI socket or install a wireless midi inside the 4x.

Installing a wireless midi inside accordion is not an option. Have a working wireless system and the socket is fine for now, just thinking future...
Thanks for input...

torch pid=70001 dateline=1582098470 said:

wmidi.jpg

Installing a wireless midi inside accordion is not an option. Have a working wireless system and the socket is fine for now, just thinking future...
Thanks for input...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back