• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

powering midi transmitter from accordion

BOB V

Reaction score
I have a Midi accordion that I would like to make wireless. The transmitter can't be powered from my midi unit in the accordion (no power connection). I do have available either 5 or 9 volts from inside the accordion, which I can bring out to power the transmitter. Which pins, and voltage, from the accordion could I use to power the transmitter? I believe it would be pin 1 on the connector for + V, and pin 3 for ground. I have the feeling that the standard is 5 volts out. Is this correct?
Thanks for your help.

I have a Midi accordion that I would like to make wireless. The transmitter can't be powered from my midi unit in the accordion (no power connection). I do have available either 5 or 9 volts from inside the accordion, which I can bring out to power the transmitter. Which pins, and voltage, from the accordion could I use to power the transmitter? I believe it would be pin 1 on the connector for + V, and pin 3 for ground. I have the feeling that the standard is 5 volts out. Is this correct?
Thanks for your help.
MIDI essentially works with a current loop (driving an optocoupler, so LED current). The example circuits in the standard are powered by 5V since that was powering the TTL logic used at the time they were written.

But that has nothing to do with the voltage that the transmitter will work with. It will have its own specs. The MIDI standard does not really suggest a voltage it would use.

There are some wireless bluetooth MIDI interfaces that can be powered by the MIDI output itself. They steal the small amount of power they need from the current loop interface. I have never tried one, so I am not saying this will work for you, but it might. Some MIDI outputs may not work, depending on the design. You could try one and return it if it doesn't work.

Here are two examples. There are others, search Amazon for "wireless bluetooth midi"

Nektar WIDIFLEX

CME WIDI Jack

Thanks for your help.

I would not connect a 5V current to the MIDi out in parallel (!) with the already wired MIDI processor of your accordion until you are 100% sure it doesnˋt harm the MIDI chip in your accordion.

I would rather wire the 5V source from your accordion to an external MIDI device which is prepared to take separate power like CME WIDI Uhost.

Or try an external MIDI device which is self powered. These are fairly cheap on Ali Express (less then 20$ if I remember correctly). They have an inbuild rechargeable battery and have to be charged via USB-chord before use. Dońt know how long they will last with one charge though.

This is all above my tiny head . !! I have a acoustic midi accordion.it came with the music tech midi system installed . I purchased the music tech wireless system with transmitter and receiver unit . the Transmitter also powers the midi accordion .it's brilliant and connects to any midi keyboard or module i may want to use..
and 100 percent reliable.................... just my thoughts ......Good Luck with what ever you decide to do !!

CME WIDI transmitter can be powered by midi out and/or by a small 5v Power Bank depending on model. They work well and are cheap enough to experiment with. Received will need a 5v power supply

I use a five volt battery inside the accordion to power the midi system, and it also powers the widi unit. Been using it for a few years…. Works well, and a little cell phone battery lasts a couple of evenings easily. I installed an on off switch, so that when I play at home, it will take power from my arranger.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_0091.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 9
Back