• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Looking for brand & price of this accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chrisstian5

Hello dear accordionists community,

My mother has found an accordion in her parents' old house, but we can't find any Information on the brand "Estrada" (atleast that's what we think it says). We would be very thankful if someone could enlighten us on this and perhaps even estimate a price that this could have. It's from russia.

Pictures are as attachment.

Thank you in advance

Chris

Attachments

• 20160525_215234.jpg
    20160525_215234.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 494
  • 20160525_215309.jpg
    20160525_215309.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 491
  • 20160525_215414.jpg
    20160525_215414.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 490
  • 20160525_215327.jpg
    20160525_215327.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 490
Hello
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's monetary value will be rather low. It looks like a low-mid range east german or russian box from maybe the 70s or 80s (at a glance). LMH tuning could be a selling point depending on where you are, but the box looks very well used, judging by the yellowing on the register switches, and if it has been stored for a long time this will have a very negative impact on the instrument.
Unlike violins, accordions do not hold their value, as technology has changed and massive improvements have been made to response and weight. Also, accordions are made of wax and leather inside, neither of which age particularly well, and their condition is never improved by typical storage conditions (loft/cellar) where temperatures can vary widely, and damp is rather common.
If you could give it a quick go and see how airtight it is, if all the keys, buttons and switches work, and whether it smells of mildew, that will enable a better assessment, but I shouldn't expect more than about £250 max if all well and good, as these low level full size boxes abound, and are generally too big for beginners and not good enough for more advanced players.

If it was down to me, I quite like an older one with a bit of character and some little quirks, but that's certainly not the general consensus. Or maybe i've just resigned myself to them because I can't afford a nicer one. Anyhow...
Your best bet would be to learn to play it - it would be worth a lot more sentimentally or in use than it would for sale.

Good luck whatever you decide, and if you're anywhere near me I'll quite happily take it off your hands - I do love a project, and it would be nice to have a spare.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back