• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Little finger for bass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentaprism

Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Gallianos book uses the little finger (5) on the bass side. For example, fingering for C major scale is 4(C) 2(D) 4(E) 5(F) 3(G) 5(A) 3(B) 4(C). I find this difficult.

Should I keep trying or should I find another way? Is there any other tutor using the little finger on the bass side?

Indeed, as you progress in the bass the 5th finger comes up trumps more often.
I find it the least reliable finger but it does come in useful. Afraid it is a question of getting used to it.
If you only play regular bass patterns you can probably get away with not using it.
By the way, you can take the alternative route to the Cmaj scale by playing the D on the counter bass row.
In that case you start with C(2).

I would use all fingerings as per the book, and try to find a way to strengthen your 5th finger. Tap even quavers on a table top for instance.

If you start to pick and choose parts to use or ignore, it’s arguable that you’ve wasted some of your money, a teacher might insist that you use your 5th if you’re starting from scratch.

It's probably not worth letting it hold you up - something to come back to over time.
Not using the little finger is (will be) limiting because it removes an option.
It's not only useful for the scale - how would you make a minor arpeggio eg C Eb G? (Unless you have the 3+3 bass layout.)
As to "find another way" it's always worth extending options. A given fingering may be just a starting point.
I have a well-respected tutor book which advises against using anything outside of the first 3 rows as otherwise would be "the easy way out"
and
if you do have the extra row of basses don't use them until you have acquired "satisfactory technique" on the 2 rows.
Looking back I think I made life difficult for myself by not daring to just experiment sometimes - after all what is there to lose?

It's difficult at the start, but it's good to use 5th finger.

The little finger is mainly used for 'runs' and and scales so for relative beginners comes under the heading of useful but not essential. So my advice would be to not get 'hung up' over it but to give it a go from time to time and not worry if you don't get the hang of it quickly.

As others have said it can't be done if the pinky is not fit for purpose. Separate exercises for that digit are more or less essential as most people don't really use it other than perhaps for the occasional exploration of the nasal organ..

I have never had trouble using either little finger as in my teens I learned to touch type on an upright old Underwood manual typewriter, a task that requires the same strength form all fingers!

So if you see one in a secondhand/junk shop!!!

george :)

There are several generally accepted bass scale fingering methods not using the pinky... (in fact I haven't come across it recommended) - but it it doesn't mean the need to use it doesn't crop up, so best get on with strengthening it anyhow. I have a slightly bent broken LH pinky - so I avoid it except if absolutely necessary stretch, but I do try to strengthening exercises and it has improved. But I dont let it hold me back, and I dont use it for bass scales.

I have a Hohner Lucia III that has quite strong bass button springs, way heavier than any others I have and that strengthens my LH fingers when I practice on it.

Thanhks for the advice, folks. Let me keep going at it for a while to see if I can get used to it.

Part of the reason I find it difficult is that I have minor arthritis at the joint between the hand and the thumb. It doesn't hurt too bad but once in a while I can feel some "jerkiness" (not smooth) in the action.

Is it arthritis or 'triger finger' The latter gives the feel of jerkiness and can be improved in the short tem by an injection or cured by an operation. I have had 2 fingers operated on with complete success and now am awaiting treatment for my right thumb which it is impossible to move smoothly

george

Those of us who use the old fashioned 3, 2 bass fingering, a major scale is much easier. C3, D2 E3 (C counter bass), F4, G2, A4 (F counter bass) B2 (G counter bass), C3

What sort of bass....acoustic upright---electric guitar ? Oh,Sorry....I thought it was a Yakuza trade off thing type of thingy !

Guernseyman said:
Those of us who use the old fashioned 3, 2 bass fingering, a major scale is much easier. C3, D2 E3 (C counter bass), F4, G2, A4 (F counter bass) B2 (G counter bass), C3

<COLOR color=#0040FF><FONT font=Garamond><SIZE size=125>Im with you, Guernseyman. The 5th finger should be utilized, but it is totally unnecessary in this case.<i></i>

I was pondering this subject whilst practising this afternoon, and my conclusion was that I couldn't possibly play without using my left pinky. For instance, how do you play the minor third, or the numerous runs on the left hand. A few accomplished players have intimated its possible on this thread, but I must be missing something. Surely the way to approach this is by the conventional teaching method and practising all the scales including both minors and chromatics, that way the use of the little finger becomes normal. After all you wouldn't even consider trying to play the piano without it, so why the accordion?

Can you give us an example Pietro of a run or how you play the minor third at present?

Pietro said:
.....how do you play the minor third, or the numerous runs on the left hand.?

I assume that you mean play a minor 3rd in the same row because of course it’s easy to play them by jumping rows.
I had worked the scales and their degrees before I found a decent book, so had the habit of not using the 5th for them, but have many different scale fingerings which is handy in many ways.
I use the 5th for chords like C/Bb or when I absolutely have to. Playing a full chromatic scale looks almost impossible without it, and if/when that time comes I’ll use it.
I do routinely use parts of chromatic scales and can easily play melodies on the bass rows.

But for anyone who want to go down the formal path and play complex arrangements, specifically written for the accordion, using the 5th seems essential..

re 'The pinky should be used' - some of us can't. My left little finger is weak and not properly straight (never has been), which makes it fairly useless. It is almost impossible to hit just one button with it: it usually takes at least one more with it.

Great if all four fingers work for you - but it IS optional. Karen Tweed, for example, does extremely well on the bass with just three fingers.

Guernseyman said:
What book did you use Bob?

I wanted to add this to the my topic of printed music but it’s all gone a bit pear shaped.

Luigi o. Anzaghi. Complete Method for Accordion . Pub Ricordi.

A bit old fashioned but does the job, 4:3 LH fingering though.

BobM said:
But for anyone who want to go down the formal path and play complex arrangements, specifically written for the accordion, using the 5th seems essential..

Bob Im assuming the whole point of learning to play any instrument is to be able to play it proficiently. I was taught to play the piano and brass instruments when I was young and then very late in life the accordion. Im still learning and interested how other people approach the job. I suppose its normal to develop ones own way of playing, and particularly with the accordion, there are many different ways to adapt the Stradella to ones own preference. Maybe my constant use of the pinky is only one way of doing. Incidentally I do play mainly pieces written for the accordion or the piano, although not all complex as you say.

Pete

Pietro said:
Maybe my constant use of the pinky is only one way of doing. Incidentally I do play mainly pieces written for the accordion or the piano, although not all complex as you say.

Pete

Which Method books are you working from?

BobM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back