• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

My new box ,a little Hohner Starlet 40 accordion.Made in Germany 1973/95 "what a cutie"

Plinky

Reaction score
My new box a little Hohner Starlet 40 accordion.Made in Germany between 1973/95

She's in her original case and packaging ,and still has her inspection ticket ,luckily been well stored and on my scales, 7 ½ lbs ,Hohner “T” reeds
Very cute little box cant put the bloody thing down.

Attachments

• IMG_3722.JPG
    IMG_3722.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 19
Wow, amazing!!!!! What a beauty, good find.

Wow, amazing!!!!! What a beauty, good find.
Hi Tom its crazy just sat on shelf in its box for 30/50 years ,the only info I can find is.

"In 1973, prior to the reunification, the Federal Court of Justice of Germany ruled that “Made in Germany” did not adequately distinguish between the two Germanys of the time and therefore “Made in West Germany” came into popular use. Items with that stamping date roughly 1973-1990"
On the box it says made in w Germany?
It does have a serial number so I might contact Hohner its an entry level box,but i think its very cool :)

Attachments

• IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 5
Cool story, yup, small, light accordions definitely have their spot. I’ve kept one but imagine more will come my way.

Hohner was in west Germany so it might not have the east/west indicator. Hohner contracted instruments out of Klingenthal (east Germany) and oddly these often say "Hohner International". I just sold one of these little guys I restored a few weeks ago. They can sometimes have issues with the glue failing on the valves, I wrote a bit about it on my blog. https://www.smythesaccordioncenter.com/the-accordion-blog/a-little-bit-of-rust

Hohner was in west Germany so it might not have the east/west indicator. Hohner contracted instruments out of Klingenthal (east Germany) and oddly these often say "Hohner International". I just sold one of these little guys I restored a few weeks ago. They can sometimes have issues with the glue failing on the valves, I wrote a bit about it on my blog. https://www.smythesaccordioncenter.com/the-accordion-blog/a-little-bit-of-rust
Hi Kimric
to be honest I bought it because it was unopened,how often do you get to buy something that was sealed in a box for at least 30 years and has never been played.

It was more of a novelty thing ,moulded plastic case ,8x5 bass and mint condition.

I've taken it apart ,no rust on reeds,valves all good and surprisingly it plays absolutely great.
and she has that Hohner sound

I thought my 50s Hohner Student vm was light ,but on my scales the scarlet is 7 ½ lbs
And I think she's a lovely addition to my little collection:)

Attachments

• IMG_3729.JPG
    IMG_3729.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Awesome find!
I was cleaning out a music store that closed a few years ago and I bought ten 1950's Ancona student 120 accordions that were all the same model in different colors.

Hi Kimric very cool,I,m mid 60s and I've been a working musician most of my adult life ,and have only ever found two boxed old stock instruments.
A 60s Tele with tags/case candy ,and this little Hohner starlet.

I,m actually quite chuffed as just about everybody i,ve played with over the years, seemed to be constantly having these sort of finds !

time stands still

do you have one in red ?
do you have enough old time accordion studio chrome letters to spell
"Dorothy"

time stands still
Hi Ventura I think this little "kinder" box pretty much confirms and validates your rants;) about build quality decline.
Shes listed as a child's starter box ! plays really nice ,plastic case but beautifully built ,the reeds are really sweet sounding and speak quickly and it's been sitting on the shelf in a box for at least 30 years,leather straps.bellows are same quality as the VM
Fitted lockable hard case.

I think over time we've just got used to a decline in quality,I don't know what it's like in the US but in the UK just about everything you can buy now comes from China.
If this exact box was being sold in shops today at just 7 1/2 lbs weight ,40 bass ,light action I think a lot more people would take it up.

I love it can't put the bloody thing down:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-26 6.59.46 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-26 6.59.46 AM.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 3
My new box a little Hohner Starlet 40 accordion.Made in Germany between 1973/95

She's in her original case and packaging ,and still has her inspection ticket ,luckily been well stored and on my scales, 7 ½ lbs ,Hohner “T” reeds
Very cute little box cant put the bloody thing down.

Very nice!

Back