• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Learning to repair a piano accordion?

Rosie C

Reaction score
As mentioned in another topic, my grandfather played a pre-war Settimio Soprani accordion. I was drawn to the idea of buying one in good cosmetic condition, just for display.

It wouldn't be cost-effective to pay a professional to overhaul it. But I'm beginning to wonder about how practical it would be to learn the skills myself, and overhaul one, over a few years? I have a few metalwork skills, I've rebuilt a carburettor, I'm wondering how practical it would be?

If you think you would enjoy the time spent learning how and doing it, then it’s practical. The reason professionals cost so much money is because so many time consuming tasks are required to overhaul an instrument. It will take you longer than the professional to do the same tasks. If you look at those tasks as work then it’s probably not going to practical for you.

As mentioned in another topic, my grandfather played a pre-war Settimio Soprani accordion. I was drawn to the idea of buying one in good cosmetic condition, just for display.

It wouldn't be cost-effective to pay a professional to overhaul it. But I'm beginning to wonder about how practical it would be to learn the skills myself, and overhaul one, over a few years? I have a few metalwork skills, I've rebuilt a carburettor, I'm wondering how practical it would be?

I’m in a somewhat parallel situation, and often repair/rebuild things including carburetors, engines, pumps, hydraulics, electric motors, compressors, electronics, and brass instruments. Some years ago I was able to rebuild the works of a player piano that was in poor condition - they work on air vacuum with lots of bellows, valves, and clever vacuum-powered mechanisms. (that rebuild took a month, working every day!)

I’m fascinated by the inner workings of an accordion although as mentioned before I’m a beginner at learning to play. I do have the good fortune of knowing a local accordion repair person willing to teach me and have had a couple of sessions watching him make some minor repairs and adjustments on mine. I’ve also read every word on the accordionrevival.com web site. I’m now comfortable in opening mine and making minor adjustments. I have a small machine shop and plan to soon make custom rod-bending tools to adjust the piano key heights. I often work with wood, steel, aluminum, brass, plastics, and other materials.

The problem I see with overhauling my only accordion is it might then be down, maybe even for an extended time, when I want to practice playing! Rather than work on mine for other than minor things my plan is to acquire a few cheap accordions, likely with some problems, This way I can learn and practice without risking damage to the accordion I’m learning to play! I’ve acquired a bellows to make a suitable test bellows for adjusting and tuning (I want to use it with some harmonicas too). A few years ago I built a 24x62’ shop with heat&air and have room to work.

If I can eventually overhaul a second accordion enough to practice on it I might be more inclined to work more on the current one!

JKJ

Last edited:
a few thoughts

picking up a couple junker accordions is easy, but some junk
is maybe not good to start with, like an old Wurlitzer, the
stuff you might learn on it might only be useful on another one just like it

so maybe don't grab the first ones you see for $20, but take your time
and watch for what is around that there are a few of in your area..
if you can find 2 of the same old student 3 reed model from the 50's 60's
you might end up with one to play when you are finished

next, the pretty little art case 4 row bass maybe 3 octave types
from before WW2 are super simple, usually the shorter keyboards
are easier to pull the pivot-rod that a full size.. the little grey
Hohner even the 120 bass ones from this early period are
also easier to work on and figure out

but pass on the ones with stink from mold or insects,
and if they were overheated in an attic for too long you should
notice cracks and fissures and discoloration

if you can get some nice leather and make some of your own "parts"
you can save money

and be very careful and use the correct types of glues and wax

picking up a couple junker accordions is easy, but some junk
is maybe not good to start with…

It would be great to find
  1. at least one of the same model as my working accordion. Likely difficult or impossible to find so next choice,
  2. two of a different model, or
  3. two of similar models from different makers but both PA 41/120
JKJ

I have a few metalwork skills, I've rebuilt a carburettor,
Rosie: Perhaps it should be explained, for the benefit of some younger members, what a carburettor is.
Of course you can teach yourself accordion repair skills! Practice on an old instrument. After you've made a few mistakes you will learn the correct way. It all takes time.....

It would be great to find
  1. at least one of the same model as my working accordion. Likely difficult or impossible to find so next choice,
  2. two of a different model, or
  3. two of similar models from different makers but both PA 41/120
JKJ

I was thinking along these lines. If I could find two accordions like my grandfather's then I could practice on one, and hone my skills. But it would also be a useful source of spare parts.

waaaay back when telephones had round dialers that made noise
and records went around and around
and carburetors fed the gasoline to our motors through little jets
and gulped air like a liturgical Dallape to do it

Danica Patrick drops to my Number 2 in this category !

Rosie C are you and the Webber's pictured on any Racing calendars or posters ?

Danica Patrick drops to my Number 2 in this category !

Rosie C are you and the Webber's pictured on any Racing calendars or posters ?

No, but I did get an article in a classic car magazine a while ago, I'll dig it out

No, but I did get an article in a classic car magazine a while ago, I'll dig it out
Is ethanol free petrol easy to get in the UK? I try to use it as much as possible for my carbureted motors but it’s kind of tricky to come by.

Rosie, I’m sure you can figure out any accordion repair. It’s a fun hobby like any other that “only” requires acquiring the right tools and materials, patience and research. Of course, there will be some that are not possible due to extensive damage or lack of materials. But you’ve shown the wherewithal to be here, you can do it! The only question, as has been noted, is the time factor. I’ve decided not to pursue it, as I prefer to spend my time playing and performing, but I still will repair when needed. Good luck to you!!!!

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't thinking of it as work, more like a new hobby and skill to learn 😎
If you want to enjoy the new hobby even more, you might consider taking courses at the Accordion Craft Academy (in Castelfidardo, Italy). If you want a much more cost-effective but lonelier approach, study www.accordionrevival.com and work from there...

Is ethanol free petrol easy to get in the UK? I try to use it as much as possible for my carbureted motors but it’s kind of tricky to come by.

Yes, one of our main brands (Shell) has a performance fuel that is supposed to be ethanol free. So maybe one in every 10 fuel stations has it available.

Last edited:
If you want to enjoy the new hobby even more, you might consider taking courses at the Accordion Craft Academy (in Castelfidardo, Italy). If you want a much more cost-effective but lonelier approach, study www.accordionrevival.com and work from there...

Thanks for your reply Paul. The revival site looks very useful, but the craft academy courses... ah, the idea of a week in Italy with some accordion repair thrown in is most attractive.

Thanks for your reply Paul. The revival site looks very useful, but the craft academy courses... ah, the idea of a week in Italy with some accordion repair thrown in is most attractive.
It certainly is attractive to go to Italy to learn from the people who actually build (and also repair) accordions. There are four courses. Tier 1 and 2 teach you the basics (like complete disassembly and reassembly, dealing with celluloid, valves, and wax, and then a bit of tuning). Tier 3 is for more difficult technical stuff you probably don't need often, like making your own reeds, changing the function of registers, etc. What I call Tier 4 and they call "Advanced Tuning" is what finally makes you into a skilled repairer because you need to get to the point where everything in your accordion is in tune and you need to learn how to do that tuning not only so that everything is in tune but also so that you don't break anything!
All in all for me it was then just under 2 weeks for Tier 1 and 2 (you can do them in sequence and then you can do the round-trip in 11 or 12 days), and just under a week for each of Tier 3 and 4. In between the sessions there is plenty of time to enjoy good Italian cooking from the different restaurants in Castelfidardo (or surrounding towns) and of course also to enjoy delicious gelato (you will never call that ice cream after you tasted it).

Back