• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Confusion Learning Greensleeves on DBA

RYLUNDO

Reaction score
I am still very new to sheet music and decided to challenge myself by learning a song with sheet music. It was going very well. I had the sheet music in front of me and a chart showing me where each note is located. I came across an issue when I reached G#. I do not believe my layout has either G# or Ab. Is there any way I can substitute G#/Ab with any other note and have it sound close to the original?

Transpose it to a key that has all the notes on your layout? If not possible, play a G instead
as a dominant 7th, not so bad. Good luck!

A DBA only supports playing in certain diatonic keys. If you have sheet music in some other key, you will have missing notes. You can try to play around the missing notes or transpose your tune into a key the DBA supports.

One exception is an Irish-style DBA that has two rows a half-step interval apart, such as B/C or C#/D. Those DBAs are fully chromatic and have all of the notes, but with limitations compared to a CBA. Another exception is that some DBAs provide some of the missing notes (accidentals) in a separate partial row (e.g. a 2 1/2 row DBA) or as special buttons at the end of a row.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help and explanations. I will try G rather than G# later today.
A DBA only supports playing in certain diatonic keys. If you have sheet music in some other key, you will have missing notes. You can try to play around the missing notes or transpose your tune into a key the DBA supports.
My accordion is in BbEbAb but I am using a note chart for GCF instead of BbEbAb. I was recommended to try this in a previous forum and it has worked for the first part of the song. While my accordion doesn't technically support laying in C, I'm trying to transpose the music to Bb by just acting as though I'm playing in GCF. I hope that made sense.

I'm guessing you are reading the tune in Aminor. (It would be unusual to have a G# in a simple tune in C.)
In so-called 'art music' an Aminor tune may dip down from A to a G#.
It is acceptable to play the G - some might say more authentic.
Minor keys as played on a diatonic are usually modal - this simply means the same notes are used as for the relative major.
So, the major key of C has no sharps or flats and neither does its relative minor - Aminor.
By the way, you are doing just the right thing to make the most of your (somewhat) unusual layout.

Back