• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Iorio Accorgan Orchestra Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breezebender

Reaction score
Hello All, and thank you for allowing me to join in.
I have acquired an Iorio Accorgan, Orchestra model. I do not play and know nothing about the instrument. It is in a hard case and appears to be in excellent condition, though it is missing the electrical cord. I’ve used the search feature here (and advanced search) and while I’ve found other Iorio, I’ve found nothing on the Orchestra model. There is very little information online. I found one YouTube video where the musician removed the electronics and played it acoustically.
If anyone can provide any insight as to the value or age of the instrument I’d be most grateful. It is beautiful, made in Italy, I am guessing it is a vintage instrument. It is quite heavy and has some wear to the back material, showing that it has been played and cared for.

6191DEE1-28BE-452E-9E58-3D43794E2547.jpeg7DE2BEF5-9E72-4A47-81BC-1E59359F97BD.jpeg06A54D9E-51C3-4ED7-83F6-3A5585D64332.jpeg

Looks like a beauty! I have no experience with the Symphony but do have a similar Iorio. The electronics are pretty outdated in terms of sound and may not even be functional. They were removed in mine and the instrument repaired and reconditioned by Guenadiy Lazorov of the Accordion Gallery. I bought it for around $900. Hope that helps.

Thank you, Eddy Yates, for your feedback. It is not a Symphony model, but rather an Orchestra model. I’m surprised there is so little about it online. I weighed it today- a whopping 42 lbs! (with case) I guess this instrument is best played sitting down! Any idea how involved it is to remove the electronics? And would that decrease the value of the instrument? My niece is interested in learning, but it is much too heavy for her.

Hi Breezebender,

You have a very nice instrument there ...... congratulations.

Your interest in this instrument is not yet clear. Is it your intention to learn to play it, or do you simply wish to sell it?

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Thank you for your feedback, Stephen. My interest is in learning more about the value of this instrument so that I can sell it. I wrote that in my original post, not knowing that I cannot do that on this forum as a newcomer, so my post was edited by the administrator. I certainly didn’t intend to break (or even bend) the rules. My hope is to learn more about this particular model so that I can advertise it for sale. I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it so I thought this forum would be a good place to start.

It's a 70's vintage and trying to find an original schematic from Iorio will be nearly impossible.
Best bet is try to find an Orchestra owner that has a working model and can provide you with info & pic's of the firing cable so you can
then copy one.
Even after copying a firing cable you might find the electronics in the tone generator and in the box have become deteriorated with age.
Now on the other hand you can remove the electronics (except the mic's) and have a lighter acoustic accordion.
Looks like a L M M model and which in most cases will have hand made reeds.

Last edited:
It's a 70's vintage and trying to find an original schematic from Iorio will be nearly impossible.
Best bet is try to find an Orchestra owner that has a working model and can provide you with info & pic's of the firing cable so you can
then copy one.
Even after copying a firing cable you might find the electronics in the tone generator and in the box have become deteriorated with age.
Now on the other hand you can remove the electronics (except the mic's) and have a lighter acoustic accordion.
Looks like a L M M model and which in most cases will have hand made reeds.
There is an Iorio firing cable on eBay for $40 that LOOKS like it would fit, but I’m not sure I want to take that gamble.. so again I ask, is removing the electronics a very expensive/extensive job? I’m thinking now that I will just post it locally and see what happens rather than invest money into it (unless it’s a fairly straight forward procedure)

If your not sure if you can properly remove the electronics DON'T TRY IT !!
Improper removal of the wiring & electronics will make it's value as a good working acoustic accordion valueless.

If your not sure if you can properly remove the electronics DON'T TRY IT !!
Improper removal of the wiring & electronics will make it's value as a good working acoustic accordion valueless.
I have NO intentions of trying to remove the electronics myself! I wouldn’t know the first thing about it, which is why I asked if it’s an expensive procedure to have done. In any case, I will bring the instrument to a music store and ask for advice there. They may take it on consignment.

There is an Iorio firing cable on eBay for $40 that LOOKS like it would fit
I would imagine that removing the electronics would be far more than $40. Why not buy the cable and see if it works? If it does then great; if it doesn’t stick it back on eBay and get (most if not all) your money back.

HI FOLKS:
I am also a Iorio Acorgan owner with little to no understanding and / or inkling of how to get this box to function.
I've had several comments---most of which have been quite discouraging. Doesn't seem to be much to do unless all the
electronics can be located, and hooked up correctly.
Hey Breezbender, if you get that cable from e-bay, and find it's not the right thing, I may have an interest in it.
My Acorgan is a "Philharmaonic" model. F.Y.I.
What to do with this OLD technology ?? Do I really want to go through this exercise ??
CHICKERS

This one will require a firing cable (cord) and a foot pedal assembly to operate. The cable alone will not work as it plugs into the
foot pedal and then pedal to a amplifier.
With electronics removed the grill will have openings and need cosmetic alteration. Also with electronics & switches removed
you will still be left with a large & heavy acoustic accordion. I will be difficult finding a buyer. Best to sell it as is to a buyer that
wishes to do the conversion themselves.

Last edited:
JimD as usual is very accurate :)
This Iorio is more specifically from the mid-late 70's and is actually the 2nd iteration of the evolution as the "Orchestra" designation shows. They were quickly replaced within months of release of production with the S3 version, which I have:

Iorio1.JPG

Iorio2.JPG

This iteration has the same basic accordion, a 3 reed 41 key right hand, 4 reed 120 bass left hand but is a little different in that the rotary knobs are 2 level and...

Iorio3.JPG

Has a a double knob with 4 sections at the top and bottom as opposed to 3 singular knobs for added functionality and control added.

In these days they used a lot of electronics that had a limited lifespan of like 10-20 years (issues with failed or failing resistors, transistors and capacitors is super common), and so the chances of this having a fully functional *analog* electronic section, even with the fully working pedal (and the cable from pedal to accordion and the plug inside the accordion on these things were a huge point of failure too)... is slim to none.

Sure a good electrician could spend a nice amount of time tracing things down replacing things and getting it to work, but by the time you pay the man for his time and efforts, you've either come close to, or exceeded the value of the entire accordion.

No, this accordion isn't a high value item... with mine, we're looking at maybe $500-$600 if it was complete and fully functional, if you were lucky enough to find the right buyer. Less so without a pedal or not fully functioning electronics.

That said, it's still a good instrument and fun to play even if its as a straight basic acoustic accordion. That is where it's true value lies, in the sentimentality for someone or the joy of playing. One important fact most people forget... accordions deteriorate much faster if you DON"T use them versus if they are used regularly...the worst accordions are the ones that are placed in a closet or attic for decades and forgotten.

Very sound good advice ....When I stopped using my Farfisa Synthaccordion many years ago and changed to the Elkavox 83. I decided to keep the Syntaccordion as a spare you never know !! it might be needed with busy gigging schedules .....after a few years of just storage it was very unreliable and the electronics kept playing up .
I learnt a lesson from that incident !!...................I sold at a silly knock down price ...................it needed a lot of expensive electronic engineer time to get it right .....................if ever it was put right ?

I have an Iori with the electronics removed, but it is LMMM.
Can anybody explain how the Orchestra and S3 model has Musette of MM but the master does not?
Simon

I have an Iori with the electronics removed, but it is LMMM.
Can anybody explain how the Orchestra and S3 model has Musette of MM but the master does not?
Sure thing... I had to pull mine out and test... but though the register does not show it, it *does* have the musette reeds in play while in Master. Chalk that up to someone at the factory not paying attention. :)

IMHO the Clarinet and Oboe should also be different but they are not. I noticed this once decades ago... and then just forgot all about it as it was the sound that was important, not the register markings, I rarely looked at them... lol

Oh yes, it's a fine Accordion, nothing wrong with that part, it was the analog electronics that were the weakest link in that chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back