• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Interesting Similarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickers

Reaction score
I'm not sure who was making what in the accordion industry back in the 1960's but I find an awful lot of "similarity" between my Excelsiola Model 612M and my Guerrini & Sons--photos attached
It's very apparent in the grill work of both accordions. Of-couse the internal mechanisms are quite different -; The Excelsiola is a 3-4 reed, whereas the Guerrini is a 4-5 reed. Excelsiola is dry tune, the Guerrini is slightly wet tune. I have not been able to obtain much information on the manufacture of these two accordions, except both made in Italy, and both made somewhere early 1960's. I really like the "playability" of the Excelsiola, but really enjoy the sound of the Guerrini.
I would appreciate any comments and / or history on these two accordions that any of you longtime accordion experts could provide .
CHICKERS

Attachments

• EXCELSIOR ECELSIOLA 1.JPG
    EXCELSIOR ECELSIOLA 1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
  • GUERRINI 1.JPG
    GUERRINI 1.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 17
Something is not right here. The design of the grille is definitely that of Excelsior (also used on Excelsiola) and I have never seen a Guerrini with that grille. Something does not look right about the Guerrini. It is possible that the grille was replaced (maybe after damage?) or it is possible that the grille is original but the Guerrini name is not... I'm sure JimD will know more. He has decades more experience with the accordion industry.

PAUL:
In reviewing the Guerrini, I'm reasonably sure it's original as manufactured. I purchased it from the original owner.
Notice the similarity of not only the grill, but the key and button construction, the placement and design of the registers.
I am also attaching pictures of the name badges.
My understanding is "A. Guerrini & Sons" is not the company as Guerrini of the U.S.---or maybe another Guerrini
The name badge says ---Special Production For North America
Interesting
CHICKERS

Attachments

• GUERRINI 2 IMG_0711.jpg
    GUERRINI 2 IMG_0711.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 9
  • GUERRINI 3 IMG_0712 (1).jpg
    GUERRINI 3 IMG_0712 (1).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 8
  • GUERRINI IMG_0710.jpg
    GUERRINI IMG_0710.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 9
Many Italian brands for a time copied the Excelsior grill designs in the 50's & 60's. The firm MODERN was a good example --

Firms rarely copyrighted their grill designs and because of a makes popularity the designs were frequently copied.
The practice was ignored many times as the saying goes "Imitation is the sincerest form of Flattery".

PAUL:
In reviewing the Guerrini, I'm reasonably sure it's original as manufactured. I purchased it from the original owner.
Notice the similarity of not only the grill, but the key and button construction, the placement and design of the registers.
I am also attaching pictures of the name badges.
My understanding is "A. Guerrini & Sons" is not the company as Guerrini of the U.S.---or maybe another Guerrini
The name badge says ---Special Production For North America
Interesting
CHICKERS
Accordions are made of many "standard" parts, which makes that many things are similar. Accordion factories buy many mechanical parts, keys, buttons, register mechanisms, etc. What they do make themselves are reed blocks (giving the characteristic sound of each brand), treble and bass case, and the grille. So the grille is often part of the "signature" of a brand. But... there are some grille designs that many brands have copied and still do, like a grille with simple squares (very common in convertor instruments) and recently the "cobweb" design that looks random (but of course isn't). Sadly nowadays some truly unique grille designs (like the one used by Bugari) also get copied by Chinese companies making fakes... There are certainly Chinese fakes with the signature Excelsior grille too (but your accordions are too old to be fakes).

Accordions are made of many "standard" parts, which makes that many things are similar. Accordion factories buy many mechanical parts, keys, buttons, register mechanisms, etc. What they do make themselves are reed blocks (giving the characteristic sound of each brand), treble and bass case, and the grille. So the grille is often part of the "signature" of a brand. But... there are some grille designs that many brands have copied and still do, like a grille with simple squares (very common in convertor instruments) and recently the "cobweb" design that looks random (but of course isn't). Sadly nowadays some truly unique grille designs (like the one used by Bugari) also get copied by Chinese companies making fakes... There are certainly Chinese fakes with the signature Excelsior grille too (but your accordions are too old to be fakes).
This is all very interesting and I'm sure that many accordion designs are copies of successful products from other companies. The same applies to other products such as automobiles where one manufacturer releases a popular and successful model and others release their own version with similar styling. There have been many autos produced strikingly similar to the Mercedes.

Like with any product if it meets your requirements and was purchased for a fair price without being represented as being something much more expensive then enjoy it on its own merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back