• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Instruction manual for Roland FR8X Accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockie

Reaction score
I hope to buy a Roland FR8x early 2022, in the meantime I'd like to get the instrument instruction manual.
Is it available to download free or will I need to purchase one.

I hope to buy a Roland FR8x early 2022, in the meantime I'd like to get the instrument instruction manual.
Congratulations! It's a great choice and I'm sure that you will love it. Two things to consider; purchase the sets by Richard Noel because they will get you started with this complex instrument and provide you with instant enjoyment of the full potential of the accordion. Secondly install the set editor once you have made yourself familiar with your Fr8x. This will make it easier to create your own user sets once you need to create something to meet a specific requirement, or it helps you to move them to different buttons and even rename them to suit you.

I've owned my FR8X for 5 years now and only regret not purchasing it sooner. My accordion shop included the Richard Noel sets because their experience showed that some people are intimidated with the complexity and potential of the Midi accordion and were frustrated that they could not find a custom sound easily as a novice user. Those two pieces of advice saved me a lot of potential frustration and made the entire package so much better. The Noel sets are not free but the set editor utility for your computer is.

Congratulations! It's a great choice and I'm sure that you will love it. Two things to consider; purchase the sets by Richard Noel because they will get you started with this complex instrument and provide you with instant enjoyment of the full potential of the accordion. Secondly install the set editor once you have made yourself familiar with your Fr8x. This will make it easier to create your own user sets once you need to create something to meet a specific requirement, or it helps you to move them to different buttons and even rename them to suit you.

I've owned my FR8X for 5 years now and only regret not purchasing it sooner. My accordion shop included the Richard Noel sets because their experience showed that some people are intimidated with the complexity and potential of the Midi accordion and were frustrated that they could not find a custom sound easily as a novice user. Those two pieces of advice saved me a lot of potential frustration and made the entire package so much better. The Noel sets are not free but the set editor utility for your computer is.
Thank you Valski, as a matter of how are Richard Noel's or anyone's set installed on the FR8x.

... and here is a video I made for them too.

Thank you Valski, as a matter of how are Richard Noel's or anyone's set installed on the FR8x.
No kidding... with the Richard Noel sets, this is how the 8X *should* have come from the factory. With it's base factory setup, it's like 90% of the capabilities are really well hidden to new owners, but with the sets and UPGs installed, it is a big upgrade and really starts to show what the 8X is capable of. This is likely the best investment you can make besides the purchase of the accordion itself.

Last edited:
When you purchase the Richard Noel Fr-8X sets, he has very detailed instructions on the installation. He even has you check if you have an expansion slot available. I had an empty slot on my 8X and he sent me "Balkan" to install in the expansion slot. You will not have any problem with the installation using his instructions. If you do, you can send him an e-mail with your question. He responds very quickly--usually the same day.

John M.

No kidding... with the Richard Noel sets, this is how the 8X *should* have come from the factory. With it's base factory setup, it's like 90% of the capabilities are really well hidden to new owners, but with the sets and UPGs installed, it is a big upgrade and really starts to show what the 8X is capable of. This is likely the best investment you can make besides the purchase of the accordion itself.
Kieth Anderson of Anderson’s Accordions told me that he includes the Richard Noel sets because otherwise many players who are new to digital accordions would get frustrated and want to return their instruments. Having the professional sets improves customer satisfaction and gives you a better idea of how you can set up your newly created sets when you decide to try creating your own.

It's a very wise approach to customer service because it attracts customers from far and wide

Thanks Valski.
Are 'sets' downloaded to the 8x from an attachment after being purchased, in this case from Richard Noel.

To JerryPH
Hi Jerry
Re your Guantanamera demo in your video, is that percussion coming from the FRX8 or an added expander/ drum machine

You purchase the sets and they are downloaded to your computer. You can then move them over to the Fr8x to an unused spot in the user sets. You have 100 banks available with 14 separate sets per bank so you could have 1400 sets saved right on your accordion. If you use the set editor you can more easily save your settings to back them up or to re-arrange them in different locations to suit you better. You can really get creative here if you're interested in the technology.

You purchase the sets and they are downloaded to your computer. You can then move them over to the Fr8x to an unused spot in the user sets. You have 100 banks available with 14 separate sets per bank so you could have 1400 sets saved right on your accordion. If you use the set editor you can more easily save your settings to back them up or to re-arrange them in different locations to suit you better. You can really get creative here if you're interested in the technology.
Valski thanks for info.
"I'll be back"............

On that song, it's the addition of the Roland BK-7m arranger. :)
Thanks Jerry, I have the BK7 but I was wondering if it was possible to layer a basic drum "kit" on top of the bass notes and chords on left hand, giving me a total unit ( FR8X) independent an arranger module

Thanks Jerry, I have the BK7 but I was wondering if it was possible to layer a basic drum "kit" on top of the bass notes and chords on left hand, giving me a total unit ( FR8X) independent an arranger module
*Independent of an arranger module

Yes it is possible, however it is not as comprehensive and is completely manual.
Go to the 9:38 time marker in this video:

I use the internal drum effects in other videos as well, but its more subtle.

It's possible to layer drum sounds on some of the bass buttons but it would be difficult to layer a drum kit. Even if you did I'm not sure how you would play the kit to any great effect. Since you already own a Bk7m then you should try to incorporate that into your playing.
I enjoy some of my sets with the incorporated drum sounds but I feel that these should be used discretely.

It's possible to layer drum sounds on some of the bass buttons but it would be difficult to layer a drum kit. Even if you did I'm not sure how you would play the kit to any great effect. Since you already own a Bk7m then you should try to incorporate that into your playing.
I enjoy some of my sets with the incorporated drum sounds but I feel that these should be used discretely.
Thanks Valski, I will bear that in mind.
I was thinking not so much as a drum kit but drum "voices.
Example, maybe bass drum on bass note and brush or hi hat with chord. To be used with accordion voices on musette waltzes etc.
I will post examples later from Pieter Bosma a Dutch accordionist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back