• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

In trouble and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike K

Reaction score
I have a 60s Giulietti Model N4 Transformer (convertor) accordion. I was practicing today and it would not shift into free bass mode. Well it sort of did but its like the reeds were all not sounding correctly. I took the bass side apart and saw that the little windows were not opening all the way. eventually I found that the cam mechanism was not sliding all the way over because a small screw was stuck in it. I removed the screw and it appeared to shift okay. I have no idea where the screw came from. It is a small round headed screw and I cannot find a hole that appears to be missing one.

Put it back together....after some issues due to my lack of knowledge.....first time I took the bass side apart....more on that later. tried playing and now the first four rows of bassetti bass are always in that mode....when it should be just the first two rows. I cannot get the D sharp and A sharp chords on the 120 bass buttons. If you look at the picture you can see the first two rows stick out from the stradella bass. they are always in Bassetti mode. the next two rows should be A sharp and D Sharp. Now they are always part of the chromatic bassettit bass.

I really do not know how this mechanism works and looking at it did not make it any clearer to me. Anyone know how to correct this issue. the missing screw could be part of the problem.

If I cannot fix it, anyone know the closest repair tech for this type of accordion to Central Virginia USA?

Attachments

• IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 817
Well first of all DONT GO ANY FURTHER if you are not familiar with his type of shift slide machine and its operation.
That screw came loose from under one the slides and cant be seen at this point.
You have now a slide assembly thats misaligned, and with parts that are no longer made and now listed as obsolete by Zero Sette.
If you have no knowledge of repairing a converter or transformer shift machine, it will be best to take it to an accordion tech.
The good news is that at this point, your existing parts should be reparable by a tech thats familiar with a well made, but now a 60 year old bass machine design.
Id like to help you on this one but the distance between us is much to far.
In your case I would recommend you give a call to Frank Romano of --
http://frment.com/ --
Frank is a wholesaler and if there is a accordion tech in your area, they would have, or still do buy parts from FRM.

Mike , this might help. We have a member here that is located in NC . His name is Al DiMarco and Ive been mentoring him in accordion repair for 5 years now.
Al has just moved (still in NC) and setting up his computer system at this time.
When Al has his computer and (Skype) set up we can do repair procedures on line.
You might give him a call 910 754 2207 and tell him Jim sent you.
If you dont remember who Al is ---
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlDiMarco111

I found where the screw came from.....I was looking in the wrong place. I was one of the screws holding the slide that holds a treble reed in place. Hole got a little too big. Stuck a toothpick in, broke it off and tightened the screw up. Appears okay now. Have no idea what is going on with the Bassetti and the D# and A# chords though. May be totally unrelated and may have been that way for a while....How often do you actually use those chords?

Need to put it back together and test everything out. Hopefully, it will be fine except for that little issue.

I did talk to Frank Romano. He recommended Dale Wise, who I have worked with before. Dale told me he does not work on free bass though.

On to my next problem now. Picked up a student accordion very cheap, that looks great except......the treble keys are very slow returning to closed position. Not just one....appears to be all of them. Have not taken a treble keyboard apart yet. Rather do it on this one than one of my good accordions. Other than that, It looks really clean. It is a Marotta. made in Italy, medium grade from what I have read. Nothing fancy. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back