• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

I'm a little stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well I never got to start up lessons again; its almost a hundred miles round trip to the nearest tutor so would cost as much in fuel as the lessons cost. Also the tutor is a French lady who speaks no English and my Spanish wouldnt be good enough. So Ive started by myself last week after hardly touching my accordion for nearly 2 years. Ive started way back in Sedlon 1A and worked through the stuff I did ages ago as a refresher. Im up to the last exercise in the book before going on to 1B but Im a little stuck with it, so have posted a picture below and circled the offending bit:

Am I right in thinking that this is 2 notes played together? If so, is there some particular reason why the bottom note head is smaller than the top one?

Also, there are a lot of > shown in this piece - can someone explain what they signify please?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Caissons008.jpg
    Caissons008.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,345
Yes two notes played togeather. > is an accent marker. Give those notes a little more. Not sure if the size of the notes meaning?

All the dirt; All the grit: Hoover gets out every bit.. 'cos it beatsas, it sweepsas, it cleans...

Believe it's just indicating which the harmony note is as I think it's optional 'at teachers discretion' at this 1A stage. It isn't smaller later... Good idea if it stated that, tho'. Welcome back on the journey. :tup:

Hi Knobby,

Good little tune that, I remember it appearing in a Palmer Hughes book (No 2 perhaps) as well, concerning 'alternating bass' practise although without the two-note chord if I recall correctly.

I would guess that the bigger looking minim, the G, would be emphasised more than the smaller chord note E underneath (although how you could achieve this playing both together on an accordion I cannot see, unless you strike one just before the other). Certainly the G is the original tune, so perhaps it means instead 'if you don't fancy playing the two together, play just the bigger G' (rather than the smaller E). I've not seen that before.

Hope that helps …… errm…..not just the cause of confusion..

Rob

>= emphasis/accent.. as Sam said. I call them 'bird beaks'; is there an official name?

Usually a smaller note means that it's an optional extra, i.e. if you're going to leave one out, make it that one. At least that's how I've seen it used in piano notation.

Yes, there is an official name -- ACCENT or ACCENTO

> = Accent - I give it a little extra nudge/pull on the bellows!

Top larger note is the melody.
Lower small note is the harmony.
They are to be played together. But if you are only playing one note at a time, play the bigger note.

Glad to hear you're picking the accordion back up after a break. I took a 15 yr break and started from the beginning with all my lessons books, working from the 1st book all the way through to the 9th (not sure what happened to the 10th book, maybe there were only 9!). Good luck! Lots of people on here willing to help!!!

Brandy

BrandyD said:
> = Accent - I give it a little extra nudge/pull on the bellows!

I took a 15 yr break and started from the beginning with all my lessons books, working from the 1st book all the way through to the 9th (not sure what happened to the 10th book, maybe there were only 9!). Good luck! Lots of people on here willing to help!!!

Brandy
Yep but bet you did it in a couple weeks... :tup:
What method?
<S>I saw a 1950s(think) Magnante method book the other day - never seen one here (UK) before.</S> Strike that - must be Ive its just not noticed, noticed more since posting.

SoulSaver - I think it took me about 3 weeks to get through all the books!!!! Didn't like Book 9 too much, it was more classical and I don't, as a general rule, play classical music. I do a few songs, but not many.

Remember I started in 1968, took lessons through 1974, in So California! Accordion method was Aretta's (formerly Howell-Aretta System). A few specialty Palmer-Hughes books thrown in - Jazz, Mambo, Boogie, etc. I actually play many of the songs from these books in public - polkas, rock n roll, boogies, etc.

Brandy

Blimey Brandy - I was joking; it'd take me forever... if not longer.
I shape up a piece... and almost instantaneously forget it again. And I'm not a good sight reader, either... yet. :)

I can't play by ear - and I hate memorizing songs. I am an excellent sight reader and enjoy trying new songs if I have the score. I've been uploading all my sheet music into my computer so I have all my songs at my fingertips.

Brandy

BrandyD said:
I cant play by ear - and I hate memorizing songs. I am an excellent sight reader and enjoy trying new songs if I have the score. Ive been uploading all my sheet music into my computer so I have all my songs at my fingertips.

Brandy
Should I start a thread about tips on how to become a good sight reader? Or is the answer: Practice, Practice, Practice?

Comes naturally for me I think - not sure. I started playing the violin when I was 5 years old. I don't even remember how I learned how to read music!!!!!

[/quote]

Should I start a thread about tips on how to become a good sight reader? [/quote]

this sounds potentially very helpful (could be my imagination but i think there may have been a thread previously on this)

:)

smdc66 said:
soulsaver said:
Should I start a thread about tips on how to become a good sight reader?

this sounds potentially very helpful (could be my imagination but i think there may have been a thread previously on this)

:)

Dave! I wondered if youd taken up knitting or summat... :D Long time not seen any posts. Welcome back.
Yep we did, cant remember what was said. Always worth another go with so many more people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back