• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Identification of Excelsior 922

Jones

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and happy about the interesting informations I've already found.

Sometimes on pictures of used Excelsior accordions there are some numbers marked on the bottom side next to the model number, e.g. see attached picture, numbers 45 40. Is there a systematic behind these numbers, especially to find out the year of production?
If not, can someone help me to estimate the age and price worthiness of the Excelsior 922 in this ebay offer: https://www.ebay.de/itm/354639614263 ?

I've seen the long thread with a kind of similar question about Excelsior 922 https://www.accordionists.info/thre...fy-the-year-value-of-this-excelsior-922.4593/ As year of production 1983 is mentioned there, the numbers are 132 15 . Is there a timespan from... until... that these models have been built?

On the Excelsior webpage there is model 921R https://www.excelsior-accordions.it/product/921r as topmodel, from the outside looking quite similar to the 922. Might the 922 and 921R be of similar "topmodel quality level" or are these completely different instruments besides the 4 reeds vs. 5 reeds in 921R vs. 922?

Many thanks for impressions, clarifications and hints!
Jones

numbers.jpg

the 9xx series, built for many decades, is the basic professional line.

in the USA we saw 910, 940 and 960 models mostly (Piano)

prior to Pigini buying out Excelsior, this meant these models were
built entirely in the factory from raw materials, using best practices
in all areas to include kilning the woods in their own kiln also on the premises

the 910 and 940 were basically identical except for addition of a tone chamber,
the 960 added a 5th treble reedset

i do not know the chromatic models differences, but this info should be
available in old brocures etc. from the Euro dealers

any 9xx model in good condition from the old days would
be an excellent investment.. models made after Pigini assumed
control would also be quite good, but not necessarily up to
the old standards

slight changes in the grillwork and shift plastics can give a clue
which era produced a given model, but it is not easy to date them
with accuracy afaik without a trained eye looking inside the box

Thank you Ventura for these informations and the good overview.
So I'll try to find out if this is a model of the old days ... ;)
Obviously event these numbers don't seem to be helpfull in any way and I even couldn't find out whether these unusual register labellings (only instrument names and without the usual "dot-system") were just an extra option or a specific feature during some years.

There is a shop in the UK advertising the new button model 921R for £12,750. It's a fantastic looking accordion with a scary price tag.

Back