• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

ID & info help on International brand "Super" accordion. Full size 41/120 LMMH w/ mics

Reaction score
Going to inspect and purchase a nice looking full size accordion (scaling up from my 17" LM, and very excited). Interested in info on where & when this was manufactured and any other info on the brand International.

On the treble side is written International. On the bass side at the bottom is written Super. Both in cursive script. Only number I'm told on the back is 4659, which may be just a serial number. It has 41 keys, 10 treble combination shifts LMMH plus 2 masters and a palm master switch. The 2 master switches are taller and on the sides of the 2-row oval shape with all 12 switches. The shift switches look a lot like the Centro Matic-style seen on Lira by International brand accordions I have seen before, but it does not say Lira or Centro Matic anywhere in the pictures. On the bass are 7 shifts, 120 buttons. There are 2 pairs of volume and tone knobs on the treble face.

If anyone knows more about International brand, I'd love to hear about it. I'm thinking is the same company that makes/imports the Lira Centro-matic by International I have seen before, but could be wrong. The shift switches look very similar in a 2-row oval shape right above the middle of the keyboard.

Am also wondering if when I open the case to see the reeds, should it say International on the blocks? Any chance it will say Lira instead? Am really wondering if its an Italian build with hand-made reeds or not. I guess ultimately, how it sounds is most important, I just want to approach this private sale with the most knowledge I can. Thanks again for sharing the wealth of knowledge here.

1598266985422.png
I found some other pics of similar online. Here is a link to a closed Reverb auction with an International "Special" Centro Matic that also doesn't mention Lira anywhere on the accordion. Definitely the same brand logo. Also doesn't have mic pickups.

Found a reference to the International brand in a Metro-Times article about Detroit accordions and Castiglione from 2010. "The International Accordion Company, founded in Detroit in 1922 by Castelfidardo, Italy, native Nazzarreno Zoppi". I don't know if this is the same brand, but I'd think so because here is an International Detroit branded accordion with a very similar looking logo. Maybe the company no longer was International-Detroit-branded when they moved out of Detroit, perhaps acquired by the son's company, Gus Zoppi, and produced/imported in Sterling Heights, Michigan?

This is my best guess so far.

Last edited:
In my 40+ years of repairing I've found many variations of Italian models imported here by dealers & distributors.
90% of these models imported here carried a name or badge not of the maker but unique to the US dealer and or distributor.
All the International models I've seen or worked on had "Lira" or "CentroMatic" on the gaudi design grill portion and the name"International"
always appeared on the back side of the accordion.
I can only guess on this one that the US "Lira" badge is missing because it was made for sale in Europe.
As far as all the "Lira's" I've worked on - The build is excellent - the unique shift machine is well made and sturdy.
In your Photo this one looks pristine and as you will find Internationals were built like tanks and have excellent tonal
quality. Good luck with your purchase. And by all means let us know the outcome.

Last edited:
In my 40+ years of repairing I've found many variations of Italian models imported here by dealers & distributors.
90% of these models imported here carried a name or badge not of the maker but unique to the US dealer and or distributor.
All the International models I've seen or worked on had "Lira" or "CentroMatic" on the gaudi design grill portion and the name"International"
always appeared on the back side of the accordion.
I can only guess on this one that the US "Lira" badge is missing because it was made for sale in Europe.
As far as all the "Lira's" I've worked on - The build is excellent - the unique shift machine is well made and sturdy.
In your Photo this one looks pristine and as you will find Internationals were built like tanks and have excellent tonal
quality. Good luck with your purchase. And by all means let us know the outcome.
Hello Jim, one other question I have about the International Lira accordions. On models 10 and 20, I've seen some just as those model numbers, and some as 10B or 20B. Any idea what the 'B' denotes?

Never having actually seen a Lira/International catalog from "back in the day" this is pure speculation- but the 27's I've seen were all three RH reed bank setups whereas the two 27B models were four bank LMMH. One is sitting about three feet from me as I type.

Good serviceable accordions with consistent quality in the manufacturing/assembly- at least according to me!

Back