• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Looking for some help/info on this vintage accordion

bookyyyyyy

Reaction score
Hi all,

We recently needed to clean out my grandparents apartment and came across some very old and cool items. One thing we found was my grandfather’s accordion from his younger years. I have vague memories of him playing it for me as a child, but he passed on many years ago. While it’s a very cool item, we don’t have the room or need to keep this. My intentions are to sell it, but I am a novice in the world of vintage accordions. I am an eBay powerseller from the world of sports cards. I am hoping someone on here can help to provide more accurate details on this Wurlitzer accordion.

The case seems to be in pretty decent shape. All the latches lock with ease. There is some expected wear and tear but it’s still quite solid. The accordion itself has some very minor damage on the “teeth” (?) surrounding the logo above the keys. Without knowing exactly what I am doing, the accordion does make a really strong and organic sound still. Is there anything I need to look out for in describing the condition? Is it safe/should I try to open the fan to ensure it’s all intact?

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2682.jpg
    IMG_2682.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2685.jpg
    IMG_2685.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2686.jpg
    IMG_2686.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2687.jpg
    IMG_2687.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2688.jpg
    IMG_2688.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 22
hi

unfortunately, wurlitzer accordions mostly used a unique key action mechanism
which very few technicians still alive today can service

non-serviceable accordions are low on resale value in my opinion, and
i typically advise people to avoid them

i would suggest you find some local accordion player to stop by for free Pizza
and a beer and have them play it for you ang generally evaluate it's playability

if they say it is playable, and you find someone to give you $100 just for
fun that would be about as good as it's gonna get IMHO

power selling it on eBaY will cost more in listing fees, commission, and shipping
than it is worth

I'd add that if you do decide to list it, either on eBay or in the buy/sell forum here, opening it and taking photos of the interior will greatly increase your chances of someone taking an interest and bidding with confidence. To open it, pull the 4-6 bellows pins around the treble (piano) end straight out with pliers. You can use a piece of cloth to keep the pliers from marring the pins. I'd suggest also to keep the pins in order, so they can go back in the same holes. Once one side is free from the bellows, you'll be able to photograph both sides from within.

Back