• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

I Inherited Grandpa's Accordian

Kielbasa

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new here. I play acoustic guitar, know nothing about accordian, but enjoy watching the accordianists jam out at my Polish fests in the Chicago and Rockford, IL area. I Inherited this from my dad who was left it by his father. Gramps was a career Navy guy working abroad on a minesweeper. The outside of the case is rough. It appears this has been around. Gramps liked to drink and when he did, the accordian came out and a show ensued. Lol.

Anyways, I'm wondering about it. I googled the maker and couldn't find any others that look like it. I cleaned it up and messed around with it. Everything seemingly works except a little scroll wheel on the side is very stiff. It's missing some of the "diamonds", but those can be bought cheap and reapplied.

Just wondering the vintage. Maybe a few facts. Is it a good accordian to learn on? Maybe it's just a low quality instrument. I don't know anything about them. Thanks in advance! 20240124_012957.jpg20240124_010107.jpg20240126_231858.jpg20240124_013031.jpg20240124_010118.jpg

Attachments

• 20240124_012957.jpg
    20240124_012957.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 5
Welcome Kielbasa!🙂
Great, clear photos!🙂
Very nice, vintage, 2-voice, 37/56 beginner's or amateur's , ladies (or youths) sized piano accordion from the late 1940s to early 1950s, by a reputable well- known maker in good cosmetic shape for age.
They made even the entry range instruments very well in those days, and they were not cheap then either.
Nowadays, in playable condition, could sell for a few hundred dollars, depending on your local market .
The hard case is most likely a later (1960s-1970s) replacement.
Relatively light weight.
Quite adequate for a folk musician, busker or popular music amateur.
A nice thing!🙂

Last edited:
That's a nice looking accordion. I have a Settimio from the 1930s and yours has a nod to the earlier design of mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 08.46.54.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 08.46.54.png
    816.7 KB · Views: 4
Anyways, I'm wondering about it. I googled the maker and couldn't find any others that look like it. I cleaned it up and messed around with it. Everything seemingly works except a little scroll wheel on the side is very stiff.
That's likely for adjusting the bass bellow strap tension. If you can turn it in "loosening" direction until the strap falls out, you should be able to apply a bit of WD40 to the screw and then work it back and forth in the wheel until it turns smoothly. Get it back out, wipe off the oily rust carefully and put on the tiniest bit of grease (generally, grease and most other forms of lubrication are a bad idea in an accordion almost anywhere, but here it is more for preventing new rust forming than anything else).

Welcome Kielbasa!🙂
Great, clear photos!🙂
Very nice, vintage, 2-voice, 37/56 beginner's or amateur's , ladies (or youths) sized piano accordion from the late 1940s to early 1950s, by a reputable well- known maker in good cosmetic shape for age.
They made even the entry range instruments very well in those days, and they were not cheap then either.
Nowadays, in playable condition, could sell for a few hundred dollars, depending on your local market .
The hard case is most likely a later (1960s-1970s) replacement.
Relatively light weight.
Quite adequate for a folk musician, busker or popular music amateur.
A nice thing!🙂
Thanks for that info. I really appreciate it. I plan on trying to find somebody local to look it over and give it a whirl some day. Such a neat sounding instrument!

Back