• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How has your life changed because of the accordion?

Ooh boy! Now this is a prompt. I first picked up an accordion a few years ago and started playing backup for the great tradition of Missouri Valley fiddling with very good people and excellent musicians. They saved my life in a way (won't get too personal). After about a year I was playing square dances and contra dances and it gave me an outlet for creativity that I hadn't had prior. I decided while learning the accordion that I wanted to be a music teacher and go to college. That is where I am now. I am a music education major playing trumpet way too much. Playing in college ensembles all the time takes a lot of time away from the box, but I still find time to ruin jam sessions down south (kidding, of course). It fills me with joy and gratitude every time I get to pick it up, although it has had a toll on my shoulder lately. I am thankful to the teachers I have had over the years who never accepted any pay and for the people I have gotten to play with. It has made me a better musician and teacher. And I look forward to it every day.

Excellent prompt friend, I look forward to reading other people's journeys.

It has brought me fame, glory and debt - not necessarily in that order. Oh, and some semblance of a sense of humour at long last.

As far as a better human goes...it's made me a lot more self aware as a middle aged musician learning a new instrument - especially at jams, and I suppose a lot of that has translated personally too. A bit of humble humility has so far gone a long ways. Thanks accordion :).

Also met lots of interesting people. Found a good way to play solo since my singing is abysmal. Learned some things about (musical) culture in other countries.

Very interesting and amusing answers. Let's see, since I started around 6 yrs old it kept me from playing sand lot baseball for one. Actually, I'd have to think pretty deeply about an answer to this question. I have been playing so long, I'm not sure who I would be w/o the accordion ! I've met, like Tom a lot of interesting people in the last 70 yrs with it on my chest, and as Jerry said, it's been a heck of a ride ! I think the greatest thing I've taken away with the accordion is the fact that my Dad was an accordionist and taught me to play; that means everything to me ! I know he's up there watching !

Ooh boy! Now this is a prompt. I first picked up an accordion a few years ago and started playing backup for the great tradition of Missouri Valley fiddling with very good people and excellent musicians. They saved my life in a way (won't get too personal). After about a year I was playing square dances and contra dances and it gave me an outlet for creativity that I hadn't had prior. I decided while learning the accordion that I wanted to be a music teacher and go to college. That is where I am now. I am a music education major playing trumpet way too much. Playing in college ensembles all the time takes a lot of time away from the box, but I still find time to ruin jam sessions down south (kidding, of course). It fills me with joy and gratitude every time I get to pick it up, although it has had a toll on my shoulder lately. I am thankful to the teachers I have had over the years who never accepted any pay and for the people I have gotten to play with. It has made me a better musician and teacher. And I look forward to it every day.

Excellent prompt friend, I look forward to reading other people's journeys.
Wow! Amazing. Thank you.

Very interesting and amusing answers. Let's see, since I started around 6 yrs old it kept me from playing sand lot baseball for one. Actually, I'd have to think pretty deeply about an answer to this question. I have been playing so long, I'm not sure who I would be w/o the accordion ! I've met, like Tom a lot of interesting people in the last 70 yrs with it on my chest, and as Jerry said, it's been a heck of a ride ! I think the greatest thing I've taken away with the accordion is the fact that my Dad was an accordionist and taught me to play; that means everything to me ! I know he's up there watching !
beautiful. absolutely beautiful.

It opened up a whole new world of music for me.

I played violin for more than 3 decades, but in that time, I don't remember ever learning to play a piece just for fun. I played in quartets and orchestras, playing music somebody else chose, and I played insanely hard etudes, I had no energy left over to play even more after that, and had no love for the sound of my own playing, only for how the orchestra sounded together. I sure as hell didn't listen to very many solo violin recordings for fun.

I bought an accordion because I was in an ensemble that was all treble instruments and we needed someone who could play the cello parts. The ensemble fell apart before my accordion arrived in the mail.

And then - wow!

For the first time I could play complete pieces of music, melody and chords together rather than a single line. I could play anything I wanted, subject to the limits of my ability. I had to, or got to, think about how to organize a mini-concert program. I could think about busking. I could play just to make myself happy.

Practicing is actually fun. Sure there are frustrating days... but I can hear myself sounding better with time, I can enjoy listening to recordings of others playing my instrument, I can go to accordion festivals. (There are lots of classical music festivals -- mostly exclusive and expensive, either to play or to watch, but not 'violin festivals' outside of teaching clinics). It is the only time in my life that playing has been anything close to as fun as writing music or reading about theory. I wish I had done it far sooner.

Well, I learnt a lot about music, patience and tenacity, I'd no idea how damn difficult it would be to achieve a decent standard . I also learnt that I have the confidence and ability to get up and perform on a stage despite long held and deep seated doubts. Accordions have improved my confidence enormously. The vast majority of the people I've met within the accordion-o-sphere have been delightful in the very best of ways. Sadly, I've also met a handful of awful, judgmental, unkind people that have caused me bitter disappointment and the darkest despondency.( But, I guess they'd have been %^$£bags what ever sphere there were in ) On balance I'm a better person for the accordion. But why is it when you start learning to play the accordions, no-one tells you about instrument acquisition syndrome?

Being an accordionist in this time and place is good for character building... not following the flock. It builds inner resilience and allows you to develop a sense of your identity regardless of the changing trends of the day. Accordion is not mainstream cool, and it is really quite liberating - not caring or being a slave to the times. That's why I love it. It's rooted in the traditions and ways that matter to me and not what modern whims dictate we should value...

Long live the traditional accordion!

For me there are two aspects,

The first is social - I've met some great individuals and joined a local accordion band. After our weekly rehearsals a number of us go to a pub after, and as many of the members are of retirement age it's the only time I talk to some of the older generations (outside of family)

The other is more of a personal development aspect. This is the first time I've taken an instrument seriously, and learning as a beginner adult has has challenges, but I really feel some cognitive benefits of playing an instrument. It's also rewarding to make tangible progress!

It has changed me for the best.
I used to be addicted to video games, thinking somehow that if I became good at it, some people will acknowledge me.

Then, one day, I decided to get an used accordion, and from there I started to developed a more wholesome hobby than videogames could ever hoped to be.
It helped me to connect with people (I'm very bashful and lonely by character) and that felt wonderful.

The accordion makes me happy and spreads that happiness to people around me.

Back