• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

hohner atlantic IV deluxe foam pallets

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smdc66

has anyone any experience of these on the older models from the 60's with black treble couplers.

i am puzzled by what a reputable dealer said

'they replace the aluminium key pallets ends with wood and felt as if they replace the foam on the alu ones they dont seal well afterwards and the wooden pallets are better' :? :?: :!:

this sounds controversial :)

I've kept the ally pallets & replaced foam with felted leather, without any problem in the past.
See what Jim, Adam &/or Theo say, in their experience, too. I've seen loads of the ally pallets on these Hohners from the time still in use, often with felted leather now - so dunno why anyone would want to put wood .. unless they had 'em & thought they could make an extra buck.

Again I must repeat "Don't try to fix something that's not broken" If your pallets are in good shape, reface them with felt & leather. JIM D.

Nothing wrong with Ally pallets, loads of boxes use them (Paolo Soprani even used plastic ones for a very long time !) .. as Jim said, if it works leave it alone, if it needs doing, put felt and leather on, Charlie Marshall does a complete Atlantic pallet felt kit

Soulsaver said:
.. unless they had em & thought they could make an extra buck.

dont think this is the case and this came out more in conversation speaking from experience

they order in the wooden pallets from numana italy i think they said and they are cheaper than using the alu ones i think they said also (but not sure if they said cheaper than replacing foam but possibly so as apparently can take hours to reseal for leaks )

they do look in good shape to me :)

i did post pics on here once which you may have seen but they may not have been clear enough as i have oldish small cheap digital camera

smdc66 said:
they order in the wooden pallets from numana italy i think they said and they are cheaper than using the alu ones i think they said also (but not sure if they said cheaper than replacing foam but possibly so as apparently can take hours to reseal for leaks )

That seems very strange. Ive replaced foam with felt on Atlantic ally pallets with no problem at all in sealing leaks. The ally pallets have a rubber mount to connect to the lever arms so there is some flexibility there which enables the pallets to seal with minimal adjustment. If the rubber has hardened there might be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back