• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Atlantic IV de Lux Bellows Gasket Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnniez

Hi all you Atlantic fans.. {}

Well I got the gasket this morning from Jim.D, great service by the way, and do have a question.. ? Sorry my first time messing with an accordion. Taking my time. don't want to mess it up. This box is too good to do that. Being an old man and a pensioner I just did not have the funds to have it over hauled professionally.. But what the hell, eh, Have to just dive in and take care of business. lol

enclosed is a photo..

You see the gasket sitting in the gasket groove and it goes up against the metal piece that has something to do with locking on the lid. .

Where you see the gasket up against the metal piece DO I try to go between the metal piece and the wood on the inner side towards the bellows interior.. What I call the lid/cover, sits between the metal and the wood toward the bellows interior..
OR
Do I cut the gasket in the middle to split on both sides of the metal piece. there are two metal pieces one left and right. I know I am not explaining very well .. sorry.

Also when I go around the corner, do I first stick to the outside then fill up the gap that will be there, OR do I hug the inner groove against the wood then fill the gap between the gasket and the white trim you see there. It looks like when I put the lid on and using a mirror that the cover is following the OUTER edge of the wood close to the white trim.. Eyes ain't good but seems to be that way.. ?????????

Thanks and thanks again Jim.D
Johnnie

here is pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,169
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 1,169
As you say, the seal is obtained between the c2mm thick metal (in Atlantics) of the treble section and the gasket - so you'll follow the shape of metal of the treble section... which follows the curve of the wood on the inside curve. When you come to put the top back on, located correctly you'll realise it's a snug fit against the inside curve. Just had a look on mine.. it looks a neater job to fill the area out to the decorative trim but you cant see it with the grill on anyway.

Hi John; I see now what you'r concerned with. First of all the bellows gasket that I have sent you is a unique new gasket material. It is used now by all Italian accordion, "V" accordion, and German accordion makers (except China) and is the standard for replacement material today. I have sent you slightly more than you will need for your Hohner and you can with a razor knife cut small pieces to fit around protruding parts. This new type gasket can be overlapped at joints 1/16" or 2 mm. When the gasket is applied with the overlap and assembled, after 24 hours you can dis-assemble the accordion and the gasket will appear as one solid piece without gaps. {} :tup: {}
JIM

Sorry missed part of your question there, yes you do need to lay the gasket between the locating lug and the wood. I don't know material Jim supplied, so he's best to say if you can just squeeze it in there or best to cut a notch to allow it to sit neatly and not pucker.

Me again...
Well I am now going to install the gaskets on the bellows front and back.. Like I said .. I never looked at an accordion till but a few months ago.. Actually a few weeks before I joined this site. So I hope I am not being a headache to you all.. I know lots say well thats what the forum is for.. But I spoz it can get tiring.. But.. I just don't know .. anything about accordions.. BUT I am learning.. Really fast I might add.. lol.

???????'sssss

When I put down the gasket do I just pull off the tap as I go and let it fall where it lays, with a fair bit of pressure so it sticks 'with guidance'. ;-) OR do I do same but pull/stretch it a tad as I go along the slot....

Good day to all .. and thanks to all for all the help Good bunch of folks on here.

Johnnie

A little bit of both.

I messed around with the plastic bass register and got that glued back together. Its working right now but don't know for how long. Good enough for all I do anyway.. Just wont press that register.. Not sure what it opens up.. Its the register closest to chin.

I surprised myself fixing the bass mechanism.. Smooth as silk now..

Off to find another gasket.... help Jimbo.. lol.. I think the wood frame that the bellows are attached to is warped a bit in middle. I did not do anything about that tho, as I thought the bolts to bolt it back together might pull it back in .. Guess it did not. I think I need a gasket at least 1/8 think maybe more to make up for the warp.. I did not notice it till got it back together. If you look at first pick.. double click it for bigger and better look.. You will see just above the bass registers there is a thicker line. Thats where its warped. I thought about using filler and try to build it up and make flat. But I think I will try some thicker gasket material or even window stripping foam. Not as good as the stuff I got off of JimD. as that stuf is condensed .. nice stuff. You got thicker of that Jimbo. ??? !!!! :ch

Johnnie

Attachments

• IMG_000006.JPG
    IMG_000006.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 1,080
Your learning!! I myself have Canadian heritage and they were carpenter's . My uncles always said measure once and then measure twice. Of course you have heard of the carpenter that complained that I cut this thing twice and it's still to short !!
John; I really appreciate your endeavor and perseverance in what you have taken on with. Most would have given up by now. We all learn things and forget some, but mistakes we always remember. If you have need for more assistance --- send me a PM

Hi Johnnie. Couple of things.
The bass cover doesn't look like it's on properly - looks like it's snagged on the left side above the Atlantic badge, against the trim. Slack off the feet and push with your thumbs/fingers along the front edges of the bass cover so it slips inside the bellows trim. Be careful not to chip the enamel with edges under pressure rubbing.
And what is that sticking out between cover & trim above the middle switch - looks like a ventile? It won't seal if it's between the gasket and bellows.

Hi Mr Soul. ;-)

Yes I noticed that. Last couple days been messin with it and I am having a hell of a time getting the treble side to sit right..

Is there a trick to put that treble side on.. I have been putting the back side down first on an angle and making sure that body is between the metal catch or whatever you call it and the wood.. I get it all together and it just does not want to stay. One end keeps popping up..

Am I not getting the metal latch/catch in there properly .. Anyone have a good pic of how its going to sit.. I figure its not that difficult but sure is giving me grief..

Bottom half yes I noticed that sticking out and fixed no biggy..

Johnnie

More gasket on the way. Who said learning a new trade wasn't fun. {} :lol: {}

Johnniez said:
Hi Mr Soul. ;-)

...I am having a hell of a time getting the treble side to sit right.. I have been putting the back side down first on an angle and making sure that body is between the metal catch or whatever you call it and the wood.. I get it all together and it just does not want to stay. One end keeps popping up..

Am I not getting the metal latch/catch in there properly .. Anyone have a good pic of how its going to sit.. I figure its not that difficult but sure is giving me grief..

Johnnie
Sounds like the right approach: Two notches on the treble edge back line up with the locating lugs on the edge of the bellows wood (memory), maintain pressure at the back as you lower the front.. front body fits snugly over the wood, and all should sit flat/feel right, allowing the locks to be turned out and lock it tightly closed. If its raising up at one side at the front (or back), the front (or back) possibly hasnt latched that side.

Where, in Ontario, are you John ? And where can I get some of this gasket material ? I am overhauling an old Atlantic. Might as well get some pad material while I'm at it as mine are so thin, they make a tapping sound, when they close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back