• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hello from northe east Hampshire GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gastro

My parents bought my first piano accordion for me when I was just 6 years old. A Gallerini 80 bass. I had weekly lessons for years and passed exams. As I progressed my parents traded-in the Gallerini for a Scandalli 120 bass ‘Scott-Wood Special’ complete with curved keyboard! I still own the Scandalli but haven’t played for many years and I’m afraid it’s now beyond mere TLC and probably worth very little. I’m now in my 74th year and quite fancy having another go, hence my presence on here. I reckon it’s probably like riding a bike and that I’ll soon get the hang of it again. I can still read music but I’m a bit rusty after all these years. So I’m looking for a 120bass accordion and have spotted a Hohner Atlantic IV N De-luxe for sale in Germany not far from where it was made. I have a reasonable budget but ‘cold-feeet’ after all this time away. So I’d welcome your commments and advice and encouragement if appropriate, and look forward to hearing from you. Incidentally I’m not averse to finding a teacher who might be prepared to take me on as a mature pupil.
Thanks

Welcome Gastro!

Playing the accordion is like riding a bike: you will soon get the hang of it again.
Regarding the cold feet, I would be more worried about getting an accordion from this far (transport isn't the safest thing for an accordion) than about being able to play it. Piano-accordion is popular enough in the UK that you should be able to find a nice used accordion closer to home.

Thank you Paul for those reassuring words. I have happy memories of beautiful Eindhoven and many pleasant lunches of moules with frits and cold Heineken watching smiling people go on their way.

The Atlantic IV (though particularly so the non-de luxe model) is a screamer due to its partly metal frame and filling. So it would not really be my top pick for getting back into playing for private enjoyment. I'd recommend letting someone look over your Scandalli: maybe it can be brought back into playable condition for less than you think.

I hear what you say about the Atlantic IV and share your misgivings particularly about the tone. It’s clear from many YouTube clips that it’s better suited to a stage performance than merely playing for personal pleasure in a home environment. My old Scandalli was such a rich and mellow sound and could be played softly and very expressively, which looks as though it would be quite challenging on the Hohner. The Scandalli needs new bellows and major reed maintenance since being in the loft for over 20 years and I’m concerned that such a project would have a detrimental effect on my current enthusiasm which at my age isn’t boundless!

Hi Gastro, you're very welcome.

I was very fond of my Atlantic IV DL, before I changed to chromatic. The one thing I'd say about the tone is that I always played it with the sordino blind (jalousie) closed, and then it sounded great, so make sure that's in place.
But yes, I think buying from Germany is a bit of a long shot.

NE Hampshire, - I'd suggest a trip up the A34/M40 to see Nigel at Fair Deal accordions in s B'ham. Really nice bloke, a great enthusiast and he has some decent instruments at fair prices.

Good luck all round,
Tom

Hello Gastro; Congratulations on your decision to take up the accordion again.

Another port of call to buy an instrument could be Accordions of Coventry. They came highly recommended, & you will get an instrument with a three year guarantee. I have always had excellent advice from the experienced couple who run the shop & I have never been short changed.

It is best to ring up first & discuss your requirements before travelling & see what they have to offer you.
https://www.accordionsofcoventry.co.uk/

Use the search box on this forum to research Nigel at Fair Deal accordions & Accordions of Coventry; they have both been reviewed by members very favourably.

Good luck with your search, happy playing, & do let us know how you get on. :tup:

TomBR post_id=55309 time=1518187479 user_id=323 said:
Hi Gastro, youre very welcome.

I was very fond of my Atlantic IV DL, before I changed to chromatic. The one thing Id say about the tone is that I always played it with the sordino blind (jalousie) closed, and then it sounded great, so make sure thats in place.
I dont think the Atlantic IV N even has the blind. Its only the early models that have them I think.

Geronimo post_id=55320 time=1518205326 user_id=2623 said:
TomBR post_id=55309 time=1518187479 user_id=323 said:
Hi Gastro, youre very welcome.

I was very fond of my Atlantic IV DL, before I changed to chromatic. The one thing Id say about the tone is that I always played it with the sordino blind (jalousie) closed, and then it sounded great, so make sure thats in place.
I dont think the Atlantic IV N even has the blind. Its only the early models that have them I think.
Fair enough. Mine came without one, but it had internal mic wiring that would have forced it to be removed. The mics had gone and a kind forum member gave me a sordino so I took out the wires. The sordino just clipped straight in so played away with it closed until I changed to CBA. My Atlantic had been further converted, the couplers were marked up for LMMH but the actual reed set was LMMM.

Anyway, welcome Gastro, I hope you enjoy your continuing accordion journey and find an instrument you like at the right price.

Hello Gastro,

Nice to have you on board, and even nicer that you have decided to take up the accordion again. Good luck with all your endeavours.

"The Accordion Shop" in Sunningdale is closer than the others mentioned here. I bought a Galotta from them a couple of years ago, and was impressed by their good manners and efficiency. Why not visit their website?

Please tell us all about your aspirations.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen Hawkins post_id=55326 time=1518214732 user_id=1440 said:
The Accordion Shop in Sunningdale is closer than the others mentioned here.
Interesting. Thanks Stephen, I hadnt realised they were in Berkshire, though theres the question of whether a given instrument is in Sunningdale or Rochdale!
Personal recommendation is always valuable though.
Tom

Hi Tom,

The advertisements for individual instruments on their website are marked: "Sunningdale", "Rochdale" or "All Stores". It just happened that the particular instrument I was interested in was stored at the Sunningdale Store.

I have had some communications with the Rochdale store (which is far nearer to me) and found Peter to be very friendly and helpful.

It is possible that you pay a premium for dealing with small family owned outlets, but I think the additional cost is outweighed by the value of the personal service and peace of mind.

Anyway, The Accordion Shop delivers free right across the UK, so it really doesn't matter which store the instrument of your desire is held at. Mine arrived in perfect condition, and I strongly suspect that the courier has received instructions regarding the transportation of valuable/fragile musical instruments.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back