• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

George Secor, Baby Accordion layout?

Plinky

Reaction score
Hi would anyone have the George Secor, Baby Accordion 15 button freebass layout?
A friend have just given me an old Hohner 32 bass end and thought I would be fun try it out

I figured its a portion of one of these?

many thanks

Attachments

• Melodiebass.jpg
    Melodiebass.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 9
Secor played (he's passed away, I believe), a Moschino system Free Bass, probably the least popular around. No V-Accordion supports this system.

Secor played (he's passed away, I believe), a Moschino system Free Bass, probably the least popular around. No V-Accordion supports this system.
Hi Jerry “the least popular around and No V-Accordion supports this system”

I would suggest they are two very good reasons for building one😜

I.ve never seen one of those.. Looks like lightweight fun.
Hi Caps I'm trying to work out from the video how to layout the 15 buttons I thought someone might have either tried it or had the layout

This is the moschino layout ,it looks a fun project. I have plenty of PA bass reeds and it should be an easy swap to try out on my Hohner 48 bass.

Attachments

• Moschino_free_bass.gif
    Moschino_free_bass.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 3
Moschino (and other isomorphic layouts) really need to be big to reap any benefits from them. If you have less than 2.5-3 octaves you very quickly "run out" of keyboard and have to come up with all sorts of daft & uncomfortable fingerings. The system stops working as intended in the original design.
I've heard exactly the same accounts from people playing a "reduced" Wiki-Hayden layout on concertinas, although I haven't tried W-H myself yet.

Also, moschino really shines in an 8-row version, while a 6-row becomes a lot harder and less intuitive to play. It's still better than the conventional free bass systems, but not quite the same league as the 8-row.

I therefore regret to say that I don't see any benefit at all in a severely castrated moschino, unless it's done as a fun novelty project.

Hi, Tcabot I don't really see instruments in that way.
Something like a one row melodeon ,some may consider a limited instrument
but in the right hands can be quite wonderful.

Brahms Hungarian Dance No5 - George Secor, Baby Accordion

I think it not only looks like an interesting project but could be quite versatile and certainly fun to make and play.
Moschino (and other isomorphic layouts) really need to be big to reap any benefits from them. If you have less than 2.5-3 octaves you very quickly "run out" of keyboard and have to come up with all sorts of daft & uncomfortable fingerings. The system stops working as intended in the original design.
I've heard exactly the same accounts from people playing a "reduced" Wiki-Hayden layout on concertinas, although I haven't tried W-H myself yet.

Also, moschino really shines in an 8-row version, while a 6-row becomes a lot harder and less intuitive to play. It's still better than the conventional free bass systems, but not quite the same league as the 8-row.

I therefore regret to say that I don't see any benefit at all in a severely castrated moschino, unless it's done as a fun novelty project.

Yes, but a one-row melodeon was designed to be a one-row melodeon!

You'll have a fun free-bass mini box, but it won't play a Moschino.

Yes, but a one-row melodeon was designed to be a one-row melodeon!

You'll have a fun free-bass mini box, but it won't play a Moschino.
Hi ,without innovation we would all be playing drums. Someone designed everything ,and almost everything is a derivation of something else.

It looks and sounds to me like an interesting instrument ,it may be a scaled down version of something else ,but I don't think that detracts from its purpose and its ability to make music.
I think it's actually a rather cool little box that appears very versatile and lightweight and could be great fun to build and play.

Hi ,without innovation we would all be playing drums. Someone designed everything ,and almost everything is a derivation of something else.

It looks and sounds to me like an interesting instrument ,it may be a scaled down version of something else ,but I don't think that detracts from its purpose and its ability to make music.
I think it's actually a rather cool little box that appears very versatile and lightweight and could be great fun to build and play.
Another drummer joke?🤣🤣🤣🤣. As a former and infrequent practitioner, I resemble that comment! I play once in a while with a banjo player so we have to joke about our bagpipe playing neighbor.

Another drummer joke?🤣🤣🤣🤣. As a former and infrequent practitioner, I resemble that comment! I play once in a while with a banjo player so we have to joke about our bagpipe playing neighbor.
Hi Tom I used the term “drums” but was actually referring to stone age man.🤣
As Drum- like devices were amongst the first instruments along with bone flutes,so every modern instrument is in some way derivative.

I'm retired now but was a professional musician for most of my adult life and some of the most inspiring guest moments have been playing with musicians that played what by some ,could be considered either limited or novelty instruments.
But through inspiration and ability have elevated the instrument to something quite wonderful

I'm a big fan of "it's not what you have ,its what you do with it"(y)

Back