• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FRX3b woes, or is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks David, I checked this and the light is not on. It seems to me that the factory sets have been deleted and are empty.
I have contacted the seller asking for his e-mail address so that I can discuss the issue, and he replied but Leboncoin, like E-bay don't allow you to send e-mail addresses or phone numbers, so I've asked if he can send it to my mobile phone and am now awaiting his reply.
I noticed that he advertises that he gives accordion lessons so I think he is genuine.
I'm also wondering, if I bought the Richard Noel set could they take the place of the original factory sets?
The Richard Noel sets were all I ever used and needed. They were just wonderful!.

the factory sets are in ROM and are permanent
(Read Only Memory)
in other words, they were burned on/in to the chipset programming

instruments (in general) may be able to pull up a factory program,
and even edit it (depending on the sophistication of the keyboard)
but will by necessity need to WRITE it as a new program in a new
RAM memory location (Volatile, or random access memory)
(the 4 locations available to load whats-is-names programming are RAM)

ROM stays permanently regardless of a presence/absence of voltage

RAM requires that little coin type battery on the circuitboard to be
alive, and they usually last at least 7 to 10 years in most devices

(even when the little coin battery is dead, a reset will load the
factory stuff and you can play normally until you shut the
keyboard device off again... then repeat each time you turn it back on)

if you cannot access the factory sets and programs after a full reset,
then the chipset/associated circuitboard is damaged and something
needs to be repaired or replaced

it is possible the seller may have had all HIS stuff in the RAM area
and had stopped using the factory stuff ages ago

however, we are hoping you just have the volume control at zero
and have simply not noticed it yet

good luck

Ventura

Hello,
Set Editor only requires Java.
Browser being Chrome , Firefox or other has no impact.
Did you load the correct Java version considering your Windows 7 ( I mean 32 or 64 bits ) ?

Hello,
On FRx accordion family, factory sets are loaded in Flash ROM during SW Update sequence.
RAM are not persisted by any coin type battery, and are reloaded at each start-up.
Note : if present, this battery should be easily accessable to be replaced.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Ventura. (y)
No, I wish it was something as simple as volume tuned down.
If I press the Set register, the display changes from ,say, 445, to 11 flashing. It then returns to 445, with the original sounds.
This happens for all 9 registers with the flashing no. incrementing. It also is the same for the 4 user sets.
This would indicate to me that it is trying to switch to the sets but they are either empty or damaged, so it reverts back to the original setting.
The User Program has 10 sets of various combinations, mostly of no use to me, which the seller may have used for his demonstrations.
One thing that struck me. After performing a factory reset, you have to switch off and back on again. If the coin battery is dead, then maybe it will have some affect ?
I will research changing the battery and see if it makes a difference.
I', going to ring the seller at the weekend to get his e-mail address, although I don't hold out much hope of a solution.
The annoying thing is, I was in France for 2 weeks at my house there but didn't get much time to play with it. If I had noticed then, I could have called on the seller on my way back to the UK.
I inclined to think that the Richard Noel sets may be my way out.

Hello,
Set Editor only requires Java.
Browser being Chrome , Firefox or other has no impact.
Did you load the correct Java version considering your Windows 7 ( I mean 32 or 64 bits ) ?
Hi Serge, yes I downloaded the correct 64 bit, latest version.
The files unzip into a load of different components but nothing I do will amke the program run

If I press the Set register, the display changes from ,say, 445, to 11 flashing. It then returns to 445, with the original sounds.
I hope after SET you press one of the register buttons during flashing....?
otherwise it will not switch but indeed revert back

I hope after SET you press one of the register buttons during flashing....?
otherwise it will not switch but indeed revert back
Yes, I've tried all 10 buttons. The flashing light changes to the selected no. eg. 18, flashes a few time then reverts back to the original .

What a sad story about not being able to find a used FR4xb.
I regularly visit two sites: "marktplaats.nl" and "tweedehands.be" and the FR4xb is a regular occurrence there, including postings from music stores (posting used and/or demo instruments). You might have been successful there.
But that said, I'm sure you can enjoy the FR3xb as well. Best of luck!

Thanks for your kind wishes Paul. I wish I had known about these sites before. I thought France would have been the place to look especially as there are so many "proper" accordions for sale there.
Meanwhile , my my problems appear to have become more serious.
I have performed a System Update, or at least tried to.
I have followed the steps implicitly, using a new and tested Usb to copy the update from my laptop.
Followed the start procedure and get the"Upd" message on the screen.
Now the instructions say it takes about 2 minutes to update, then "End" message will appear.
I have been waiting about 30 minutes now and still have the "Upd" message.
Problem is, there is a dire warning that if it is switched off before the end it will cause serious problems needing a visit to an authorised dealer for a board replacement. Beginning to wish I had stuck to my proper accordions :cry:

Well, after waiting over an hour, with the "UPd" message still displayed, I had no choice but to switch off.
Luckily it appeared to have done nothing and still works which is a great relief.

If everything seems Ok except the Set access, it means that you can use it in my prefered mode, by direct selection of User Programs.

Before you try to create new User Programs, I strongly advise you to export the current User Programs on an USB key.
Did you try if it works ?

If everything seems Ok except the Set access, it means that you can use it in my prefered mode, by direct selection of User Programs.

Before you try to create new User Programs, I strongly advise you to export the current User Programs on an USB key.
Did you try if it works ?
Thanks Serge. I'll try copying to a USB. I'm still very new to this so it's a question of reading the manual and then trying it out.
By the way, I noticed that the book says to format the USB on a Roland FR3X. I can't find any reference to formatting in the manual. Is this important or the reason why the update didn't work?

Hello,
No special formatting on accordion is required.
Standard USB key format is usually OK.
Something important which is not known is that "High Speed" USB key is required (which should be the case for recent keys of known brands) (limitation detected on FR1x : "Full Speed" USB key not sufficient...).
Saving the User program content will allow you to recover the current situation specially if you start creating new user programs.
In fact, I advise here to test if you are able to export and also to import the User Program content....

Thanks Serge. I successfully exported the user program with an old usb I had with no problems. Also finally got the set editor to run.
Got a message from Win.rar that my trial free had expired (didn't know I had one) so I deleted it. Set Editor now works perfectly (y)

Good !
I think you should now try to import the User Programs that you exported. (may be useful to recover current situation).

Before you start loading new sets you would create with the Editor, I suggest that you send me your User Programs file.
I will tell you which sets are called by your current User programs.
Meaning, if none of the current User sets are called, you will be free to modify them without impacting your current user programs....
(you have to understand that your User Programs use Sets that use Sound Banks, if you modify Sounds banks or User Sets, you may destroy your current User programs ...)

Hi Serge, I really must thank you so much for all the help you are giving me with this problem (y) .
If it is Ok with you I'll send the User Programs file via PM.
Now, one more worrying development. I loaded a small User Set I got for a Morino musette sound, which I got on you tube, into the 1st User set .
Everything went as described in the manual with the "don" message displayed, but when I tried to access it, I get the same results as the factory sets, in that the numbers just flash, then return to the previous setting. I would have thought that, if the transfer had been unsuccessful, or the memory was faulty, there would be an error message.
I rang the seller this morning and he said he would send me his e-mail address so I can explain (using Google Translate, as my French isn't good enough), and am waiting for him to send it. Many thanks again, Ian
edit: I just tried to send you my User Program file via PM, but it won't accept .UP3 files.
Perhaps, if you could Pm me you e-mail address I could send it that way? unless there is some other way of sending it.

Last edited:
Hello,
It is a plaisure for me if I can help a forum member.
Nice to here that you could load a SET from Internet on your FR3x.
But my suggestion was first to check the sets used by your User Programs before you load any new set.
The risk is that you get unusable User programs (the refered set being replaced).
I send you by mp my email address. I will check and tell you the sets that your User programs are currently calling.

by the way, could you share the link to this Morino Musette sound ?

Concerning the Update process, I checked and saw that you would get a stable "Upd" display if "startup" or "update" files is not on the Key root with PROGRAM.bin and a.rom.
do you confirm that you have these 4 files on root level of your USB key ? (with added folder DATAROM)

Status
Not open for further replies.