• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FRX3b woes, or is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipemajor

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my attempts to buy a used FRX4b came to nothing.
There are none for sale in the UK, so I turned to Leboncoin in France where there were 2 .
The first one I paid for using Leboncoin's guaranteed payment service wherebye they don't release the money until the goods are received to your satisfaction. No response from the seller and my money was returned to me.
The second was similar in that I paid up front again and after 10 days the seller replied saying he had been away working and that he preferred a bank transfer to his account, after all safety checks had been made to prove his credentials.
I agreed to this and asked for his bank details, then nothing. Once again my money was returned by Leboncoin.
I reluctantly settled for a FRX3b and after a couple of fruitless enquiries, eventually found one in Normandy.
Booked my ferry crossing, the got an e-mail saying he had a gig (he is a semi pro player) in Paris that weekend and wouldn't be back until the Monday morning, so I spent the weekend in a little town in Northern France twiddling my thumbs and reading up on the manual which I had printed off .
All went well with the sale. He was a very friendly chap and an accomplished player, demonstrating the Roland for about 20 minutes to my complete satisfaction.
Anyway, to cut a long ramble short, after returning home and trying to get to grips with it, I find that I can't access the Factory Sets. I am following the instructions ( I think) to the letter.
I press the Set key and the lights flash. I then press the set number I want. In my case, I'm trying to get Scottish so I press the 9 register twice. The lights change to 92 but keep flashing and then return to the original setting.
I have tried this on every Factory Set and get the same result. It's as if the Factory Sets aren't there.
When I got the accordion I found it was configured as a 3 x 3 base and I did a factory reset thinking that would return it to "normal". That didn't work so I then read the appropriate section and configured it back to 2 x 4 base.
I'm just hoping that I'm doing something wrong here and that I haven't bought a faulty box.
Everything else seems to work just fine except that some of the Orchestra sounds , especially the "trumpet" are a bit of a joke.

Thanks for your reply pentaprism. Yes one of the first things I did, initially thinking it would restore the 2 x 4 base settings was a factory reset as you showed. I've done it 3 times now but still no change. I'm hoping there is a way to restore these as, without them it's just a glorified electronic keyboard.

Hi David, I haven't contacted him yet as his English is non existent and my French is limited to normal day to day stuff, certainly not good enough to discuss technical details. He did demonstrate it very well to me, but, as I'd never seen one in the flesh before, I wasn't aware of which registers he was using. He is a semi pro musician and had a beautiful (and very expensive) wood bodied Victoria CBA , keyboards, and all the usual stuff a musician would have, in his house. He was extremely friendly and not pushy , telling me about his gig in Paris the weekend before (he accompanies a magicians act with his girlfriend who also plays accordion). I don't get the impression that he would cheat me, but, although I could probably ask the questions, I wouldn't be able to understand the any replies given :unsure:

If you use deepl.com, you can get a very good English to French translation if you use simple and reasonably short sentences. Why not try to email him.

The manual does say that while USER PRG is lit below the display you cannot select sets. If lit try pressing the USER PROGRAM button to deselect.

Last edited:
The manual does say that while USER PRG is lit below the display you cannot select sets. If lit try pressing the USER PROGRAM button to deselect.
Thanks David, I checked this and the light is not on. It seems to me that the factory sets have been deleted and are empty.
I have contacted the seller asking for his e-mail address so that I can discuss the issue, and he replied but Leboncoin, like E-bay don't allow you to send e-mail addresses or phone numbers, so I've asked if he can send it to my mobile phone and am now awaiting his reply.
I noticed that he advertises that he gives accordion lessons so I think he is genuine.
I'm also wondering, if I bought the Richard Noel set could they take the place of the original factory sets?

Other things to try:

• try to hook it up to the Set Editor? what does it say
  • apply the 1.05 system update (maybe the seller botched this one...)

I checked the update version and it is version 1.05.
I'm having difficulty in opening the set editor as, after decrompressing the file, I get is a list of files, none of which will start the program.

I checked the update version and it is version 1.05.
I'm having difficulty in opening the set editor as, after decrompressing the file, I get is a list of files, none of which will start the program.
yes you need the Java Runtime Environment to start the editor.jar file

Even though the box says it's on system 1.05 you could opt to re-install it again. This might restore everything back to normal. I flushed my FR1x like this, although it had working factory sets. Can't hurt I guess if it's already broken

Thanks Jozz, I had installed the latest version of Java. I uninstalled it and reloaded again, then noticed that it said it didn't work on Chrome as Chrome don't support it anymore. Sure enough it still didn't work.
It would be interesting to know if anyone has got it to work on Chrome and if not, what platform is used.

Hello,
I only have the FR1x which is very similar to the FR3x.
Reading the FR3x user guide, I see that the 4 User sets that you can load do not overwrite any factory SET (which is the case for the FR1x).
see page 25 (chapter 7. Using Sets) and page 69 (Chapter 9 Appendix)
So, you can load any set (max 4 at a time) that you will create with the Set Editor or get from someone else.

Now, Jozz recommend to hook it up with the Set Editor.
I do not understand what is meant here.
As far as I know, you can only import Sets to the FR3x (no export possible).
Jozz, could you please clarify how the Set Editor (when working ...) should be used by Pipemajor ?

may be a question, does the User Program mode work well ?
If yes, this could explain why the demonstration was OK ...

Salut SergeRbt, when you extract the set editor software, there is a pdf file explaining how to use it.
I haven't read it in any great depth yet as I still can't get the program to run despite downloading the latest version of Java.
I'm still waiting for the seller to send me his e-mail address so that I can discuss the problem with him.
The User Progam and indeed all other functions work perfectly, it's just the Factory Sets I can't access.

Last edited:
I'm unsure how the editor will help but you can create sets with it, then import.

I'm wondering if when you simply do the steps of creating and importing a fresh set, will restore something to @Pipemajor 's box

otherwise I would try to flash the firware again with the 1.05 version

(i have the editor working on the latest java se runtime, 64 bit windows 10)

I'm unsure how the editor will help but you can create sets with it, then import.

I'm wondering if when you simply do the steps of creating and importing a fresh set, will restore something to @Pipemajor 's box

otherwise I would try to flash the firware again with the 1.05 version

(i have the editor working on the latest java se runtime, 64 bit windows 10)
Thanks Jozz, I was thinking along the same lines but, until I can get the editor working I'm stuffed.
I'm still using Windows 7 pro as I prefer it, but as far as I known Java should run on any version.
I was kinda hoping JimD could kindly give the benefit of his extensive expertise.

Hello,
I am also using Windows 7 Pro and have no problem with the Set Editor on Java.
The Set Editor will only allow you to create new sets and load then on the 4 available User Sets (you cannot load your own sets on the factory sets).
I fear this will not help you much.

Hello,
I am also using Windows 7 Pro and have no problem with the Set Editor on Java.
The Set Editor will only allow you to create new sets and load then on the 4 available User Sets (you cannot load your own sets on the factory sets).
I fear this will not help you much.
That's strange. I can't think where I'm going wrong. Are you using Chrome or another browser?
I've tried Internet Explorer and Firefox and still get the same problems.
Yes, I appreciate that I can only create the 4 User Sets with the editor, but I could try an update to see if it re installs the missing Factory Sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.