• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR7 weak treble notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimurr

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea why my Roland FR7 has weak sound from a few keys on the treble side. It was playing fine. Hardly ever used it. Sat on my dresser for over a year (regularily dusted). Tried it a few days ago and g and a above C1 have virtually no responsiveness or attack. Tried different bellow curves. No difference. 

A y ideas. Does anyone have a service manual?

Cheers 
Murray

I don't own the 7 but an 8X, nor do I have access to the service manual, however, have you tried a factory reset?

Normally I would think that even a digital accordion, if left unused, will in some way deteriorate. Oxidation over contact areas is a real consideration and at the very least that battery should be recharged fully at least once every 1-2 months else it too becomes damaged and unable to hold a charge.

my.roland.com/support/by_product/fr-7/owners_manuals/7820
Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies.  Just charged a fresh battery and swapped it out... still the same few notes are not responding.  I think it could be related to the bellows sensor as if I play the notes in question with accents they do respond but not with the same responsive ness as the rest of the keyboard.

Any more ideas are welcome.
Cheers
Murray

Minimurr said:
Thanks for all the replies.  Just charged a fresh battery and swapped it out... still the same few notes are not responding.  I think it could be related to the bellows sensor as if I play the notes in question with accents they do respond but not with the same responsive ness as the rest of the keyboard.

Any more ideas are welcome.
Cheers
Murray

It may be the key contacts. I don't have a Roland V-accordion but used to have a Roland digital piano and there the key contacts were a weak point. On the other hand I also had a problem with one key on a Yamaha digital piano and there a faulty ROM was the cause. Both types of problems make we wonder whether you can have a problem that can be solved without sending in the instrument for repair. That's the problem with electronics: often there is not a lot we can still do ourselves (whereas on a regular accordion I can fix almost everything myself)...

sounds like dirt or dust

before taking it apart I would tip it over, beat it a little, see if this changes anything

then remove covers and take a vacuum hose to it, before complete disassembly

if you are going to take it apart you might not find instructions / video tutorials for this accordion, but you will find instructions for synthesizers with similar problems

good luck

By all means if you have no experience in "V" accordion repair DO NOT DISASSEMBLE YOUR KEYBOARD.
As you don't have access to the proper parts needed and alignment instructions you will dig yourself in a deeper hole.
Iv'e been working with "V" accordion keyboard problems for many years now and it sounds like the contact mat inside the keyboard. The mat and contacts can be cleaned but labor can be expensive and it is more economical to replace the contact pad and avoid future problems.
A Roland repair dealer would in most instances remove your keyboard, replace & align the pad & reassemble the keyboard.

JIM D. said:
By all means if you have no experience in "V" accordion repair DO NOT DISASSEMBLE YOUR KEYBOARD.
As you don't have access to the proper parts needed and alignment instructions you will dig yourself in a deeper hole.
Iv'e been working with "V" accordion keyboard problems for many years now and it sounds like the contact mat inside the keyboard.  The mat and contacts can be cleaned but labor can be expensive and it is more economical to replace the contact pad and avoid future problems.
A Roland repair dealer would in most instances remove your keyboard, replace & align the pad & reassemble the keyboard.

A "mat" was also the weak element in my old Roland digital piano. The material (silicone-rubber?) started to crack and it became unreliable. That was after about 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back