• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR3X First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keelbolt

I have had the FR3X for a few days now, and played it out at two sessions - one, a fairly loose English folk singing / instrumental session, the other strictly an instrument only English tunes session. Thought I'd give my three penny worth on the instrument.

Yes, it's early days. But I love the sound. It fits in really well with both sessions, and all but the most traditional of players liked it. A few comments around 'it feels wrong' from the acoustic accordionists when they tried it. But mostly positive or very positive.

I like the variety of sounds. I am getting used to the bellows action, which can be VERY expressive once you've got it sorted. Battery life seems good - I bought a dozen Eneloop Pro AAs to run it, and will get eight more so I have a back up. One charge lasted both sessions - four to five hours - but I was careful to switch off between sets.

What don't I like? Firstly, having to remove the batteries to charge them, then replace them every time they are charged. This is a real pain, a cause of wear and tear, and a silly design fault. A small change in the circuitry and some temperature monitoring would allow them to be charged in situ. The connector between the battery pack and the circuit board is a square white clip connector, and the one on my instrument is loose and seems to be a potential fault in the making.

And changing sets isn't as straight forward as the manual would have you believe. Not sure yet if it's a fault, but when I press set and select a new accordion sound, it stays selected for a few seconds but then reverts back to the original setting without me doing anything. Need to work that one out. It feels like a fault, but I've been here before with new electronic equipment and it's usually turned out to be me not reading the destructions correctly. Will try a global reset or something first.

And finally, getting the paperwork out of Promenade Music is beginning to be a concern. I need a receipt both for the insurance and for registering the warranty. Have promises so far, but nothing yet in paper. But it is Christmas, and he's probably very busy....

Hi keelbolt;
Getting your feet wet with a new V accordion can be enjoyable and frustrating at times but you seem to be progressing well. As far as the AA battery problem - send me a PM and Ill explain how to use an alternative power source. As far as programming sets you may contact our forum member -- http://www.accordionists.co.uk/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=651 -- and Im sure he will help you.

keelbolt said:
What dont I like? Firstly, having to remove the batteries to charge them, then replace them every time they are charged. This is a real pain, a cause of wear and tear, and a silly design fault. A small change in the circuitry and some temperature monitoring would allow them to be charged in situ. The connector between the battery pack and the circuit board is a square white clip connector, and the one on my instrument is loose and seems to be a potential fault in the making.

I would not use that square white connector to remove or change battery packs. Just unclip the +/- connector off the pack instead. If that ever breaks it would be an easy repair vs the internals of the white connector. With regards to wear and tear , I`ve been changing battery packs every 4-5 hrs use for 3 yrs without a problem.
Did you read this thread? http://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3122

Hi keelbolt: I found out that in the FR8-X (and I would think the other V-accordions) you don't have to mess with batteries, especially if you're not on stage performing. I suspect Jim D. could verify this, but I believe this can be operated by simply plugging into the wall (mains) without the battery pack at all. I'm considering a V-Accordion like many on the forum, but if it could only operate from the battery pack, that might make me re-think the idea of getting one. Good playing and congratulations!

Yes the 8x will work on AC power with or without the battery installed.

This is the way I played my 8X in the shop before I bought it. In fact it makes the accordion lighter if you leave the battery out. Quite a bit in fact.

keelbolt said:
What dont I like? Firstly, having to remove the batteries to charge them, then replace them every time they are charged. This is a real pain, a cause of wear and tear, and a silly design fault. A small change in the circuitry and some temperature monitoring would allow them to be charged in situ.

Have you read this thread?

I was wondering about your first impressions of V10 in combination with Hapi.

Best regards Arnoud

keelbolt said:
And changing sets isnt as straight forward as the manual would have you believe. Not sure yet if its a fault, but when I press set and select a new accordion sound, it stays selected for a few seconds but then reverts back to the original setting without me doing anything. Need to work that one out. It feels like a fault, but Ive been here before with new electronic equipment and its usually turned out to be me not reading the destructions correctly. Will try a global reset or something first.
Well, this is rather an old message but Ill still reply based on my experience with the FR-1b which might or might not apply equally well to the FR-3x.

im often irritated with set selection as well since it is easy to confuse set selection and register selection (which happens without pressing set in advance). When you have selected a set, the selected register afterwards changes back to the same register (or rather the new sets variant of it) it was in before the set change. That change of the lighted button is easy to mistake for the set changing back and often tempts one to press the register button again, messing with the register then instead of the set.

Its just a matter of getting used to the multiple functions of the register selectors. I suspect that something similar to this is going on with your FR-3x.

To Davidplaysaccordion: You will want to get all of the manuals, including the manual for the 4x editor from the Roland site. There’s a lot of customizing that can be done with the FR-4x that’s not immediately obvious, including the tweaking of individual “reeds.” This forum has some very knowledgeable 4x users, but so do the FR-4x group at groups.io; and also GR8 IDEAS and Roland FR-4x Users and Future Users, both at Facebook.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back