• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR-8x Intermittent bass chord sustain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimgansett

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced the following problem:
When using guitar voices (possibly Mandolin too, haven't checked) on the Orch Chord I intermittently get chords that are sustaining. They don't stay on forever, but long enough to be very annoying. :hb

There is no way to predict when this will happen and no way to know what triggers it. It's pretty random. The chords it does it on vary with each time it occurs, sometimes on Fm for example, CMaj, G7. Those are just examples, it can happen on pretty much any chord when it occurs and generally on only one chord when it does. For instance, if we consider the G bass, the G7 chord may sustain, but not the G Maj or Gm, or G Dim. It is really weird.

Generally, turning the unit off and on again stops the problem temporarily, until it unpredictably happens again. Particularly annoying since my ORIGINAL 8x had this problem, Roland replaced it ( did not repair it), and now my new replacement 8x is doing the same thing.

I have tried the Factory Reset, since that is what Roland usually makes you do first, and the problem persists. Today, in a span of an hour, it happened about 3 times. Sometimes it might not do it playing for several hours.

If anyone on this forum with an 8x has run into the same problem, I would appreciate hearing about if you found a solution and if so what it was.

Jim

Hi

I do not have the FR-8x, but had a similar problem with my FR-7x which used to, intermittently, produce hanging notes on the treble side.

I also had a replacement FR-7x which did exactly the same.
It was as if a note was not receiving a midi off signal.

I found that I did not always have to turn off the FR-7x, but if I pressed the key again that was continuously sounding then this stopped the hanging note.

It was suggested by Roland that it was a “software” issue but no further updates rectified the problem and they could not offer any remedy.
They did suggest trying to monitor the MIDI data to try and identify why & when the problem occurred.

This problem, for me, occurred when playing a lot of chords in the treble. I never experienced it when playing single notes.

It seemed that no one else reported this problem. So it may have just been the way I played it. (Lots of chords in the treble)

So although I cannot help you with your specific problem it might just be a software/firmware issue.

I can appreciate that it is not very satisfactory situation.

Steve

That's interesting Steve. Many keys on a treble chord....... in my case it is bass chords, essentially is playing multiple notes, which of course is how it should be. Pressing the offending chord again does not stop the problem, only a power down and power back up. And then only until it happens again. I would think if it was a software bug it would occur more continuously and always on the same trigger. Say, always on a G7 chord, but it happens randomly ( seemingly) and could be the chord of any bass and any chord (Maj, minor, 7th, dim). But, then again, who knows.

I can still gig using orch chord voices, just not guitar. So, until this is resolved, it looks like piano on chords!

When I had a 7x, a treble key would occasionally continue playing when released. But, unlike this problem, it happened very rarely, maybe 3 times in 2 years.

I appreciate your feedback, thank you very much.

Jim

Jim

Have you tried posing the same question on the “Roland V-Accordions” forum on Yahoo Groups?

Steve

Steve,

I have posted it to the V-Accordion forum on Yahoo in the 8x section. One suggestion was made that it might have something to do with the 6 string option on the guitar chord which I normally use, but even after going back to the default normal 3 note chord, it still occurs.

Thanks for thinking of me, the quest continues!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back