• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Finnish C Griff Stradella with Key Layout

Briegley

Reaction score
Having drawn up a key layout for myself while I learn to play my new friend, I thought it might be useful information for the next person looking to decipher a Finnish / Skandinavian made accordion. Having looked at a few during my research, while many different layouts were sometimes used, it also not unlike swedish, norwegian and danish c-griff accordions as well. I still think shes a beaut and I'm having great fun. :)

20221028_085337.jpg

Oy Harmonikka Kouvola Suomi - Kuningatar - SN 3339.png

As your drawing shows Finnish system is the same as C-system, but starting on row 3 instead of row 1.
Someone who is used to play Finnish using mostly the first three rows (and occasionally the fourth) can easily play C-system by ignoring the first row and starting to play on the second row. When you use rows 2,3,4,5 on C-system it's like using rows 1,2,3,4 on Finnish system.

I see one potential problem with your bass notes. I believe the proper convention is to continue with either sharps or flats and not mix them up.
So - above B the bass button would continue F#, C#, G#, D#, A#, E# and below F would continue Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb, Fb
If you were reading sheet music the notes in the key would be either all flats or all sharps.

All the different layouts can be found in the Roland FRxB Owners Manuals which can be downloaded for free from their website

All the different layouts can be found in the Roland FRxB Owners Manuals which can be downloaded for free from their website
Yes the Roland Manual was very helpful! https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/FR-4x_reference_e01_W.pdf
Within the many referenced types, the 'C-Griff Fin' treble and the '2 Bass Row' bass diagrams were accurate for my model.

It was still a bit of work to figure out what I had of the options listed, what keys were dummies (and remind myself of the chords and music theory I'm rusty on so my guide will be helpful to me haha), would've been a lot more work without the manual though. :)

I see one potential problem with your bass notes. I believe the proper convention is to continue with either sharps or flats and not mix them up.
So - above B the bass button would continue F#, C#, G#, D#, A#, E# and below F would continue Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb, Fb
If you were reading sheet music the notes in the key would be either all flats or all sharps.
This is helpful information to know when comparing to how other guide information and sheet music may be written up thanks!
This Finnish Bass layout does seem to be an interesting variation (and challenge) that should keep things interesting.
I've been trying to track down as much written material as I can to get my head around some of the good practices from various playing traditions and think about how to apply it in my case as I'm mostly planning on picking away at this in my own time. This forum is a great primer already. ;)

Does anyone know how the Finnish system came about? If it came after the 'standard' C system, why was it made and how did it catch on in only a small part of the world?
I've always spread the idea that various CBA layouts, and things like the "upside down" Belgian 3/3 left-hand, happened when pioneers carrying early accordions over mountain ranges dropped them. When they put the buttons back together differently, here we are.

Does anyone know how the Finnish system came about? If it came after the 'standard' C system, why was it made and how did it catch on in only a small part of the world?
My theory is that if you mirror a 5-row B system accordion around the middle row, you get to keep the same reed blocks (different order) and notes. Makes it possible to serve either customer with the same materials (and ranges). Of course that theory would be dead if you find specifically Finnish 3-row accordions with the Finnish system since for 3 rows, reflecting a B system around the middle gets you a proper C system.

Having drawn up a key layout for myself while I learn to play my new friend, I thought it might be useful information for the next person looking to decipher a Finnish / Skandinavian made accordion. Having looked at a few during my research, while many different layouts were sometimes used, it also not unlike swedish, norwegian and danish c-griff accordions as well. I still think shes a beaut and I'm having great fun. :)

20221028_085337.jpg

Oy Harmonikka Kouvola Suomi - Kuningatar - SN 3339.png
What is the difference between standard bass and Finnish bass? They appear to be the same.

Standard:
1701214558019.png
Free Bass:
1701214370553.png111
That Free Bass arrangement would support an old pet theory of mine, that the Finnish system has grown from the 3-row C system by placing the redundant helper rows outside rather than inside (the free bass is basically C system with one help row on the outside).

However, that pet theory died sort of a flaming death when actually looking at videos of Finnish players of solid skill levels: they mainly work the three outer rows, just like normal C system players would. So it may be good as memorization aid for foreigners but not much else.

Standard:
1701214558019.png
Free Bass:
1701214370553.png111
I know the difference between Stradella and free bass. I was confused about the original image posted, which has two bass charts that are the same. It seemed to be saying that the second one was the Finnish system. I may have read this wrong. I have COVID and may not be at my sharpest.

I know the difference between Stradella and free bass. I was confused about the original image posted, which has two bass charts that are the same. It seemed to be saying that the second one was the Finnish system. I may have read this wrong. I have COVID and may not be at my sharpest.
No, it just shows the Finnish system once with chord designations and once with a list of the chord notes. If it is correct, the seventh chords would use 4 notes (like old German accordions) instead of the usual variant these days omitting the fifth.

If that is the case, if you lie on your back with the accordion in front and press the c7 chord (C E G B♭), then both of the c chord (C E G) and the g° chord (G B♭ E) will fall in because all of their respective notes are already covered. Frankly, I doubt it. Everybody has moved on from 4-note seventh chords decades ago.

No, it just shows the Finnish system once with chord designations and once with a list of the chord notes. If it is correct, the seventh chords would use 4 notes (like old German accordions) instead of the usual variant these days omitting the fifth.

If that is the case, if you lie on your back with the accordion in front and press the c7 chord (C E G B♭), then both of the c chord (C E G) and the g° chord (G B♭ E) will fall in because all of their respective notes are already covered. Frankly, I doubt it. Everybody has moved on from 4-note seventh chords decades ago.
Yes, though I have an extremely good Stradavox from from the 1960s that, curiously, has the 5ths in the 7th chords. I've been meaning to get in there with a wire cutter and fix that, as it messes with some of the pieces I play. Other than that, the only ones I've seen with 5ths in the dominant chords were pre WW2.

Back