• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Dynamics

One thing this discussion brings to mind is in both live sound and even more in recording (for many genres) is a desire for reduced true volume dynamics. This keeps quiet bits still audible when there’s road noise as you drive and doesn’t blow you away when the louder bits come on after you turned up the volume to hear the quieter ones.

This is usually done with audio compression to make quiet bits louder and loud bits softer. Because timbre of many instruments changes with the original volume there is still good “perception” of decent dynamic range. Compressors also have a delay to allow some transients through, to keep things exciting. I never really considered how the sound of accordion is effected by this. It would be something to experiment with.

The only real "issue" with dynamics is that you only have "global" dynamics control and you cannot really play a chord where one note is loud and the other notes are soft. That's why an accordion ensemble can always sound nicer than a solo player.
To be really pedantic, there is button dynamics working with only slightly open pallets. It's not overly feasible for "playing a chord where one note is loud and the other notes are soft", but it at least works for throttling off left hand chords in a manner where they decay in a somewhat natural manner while there are sustained notes in the right hand. That can help somewhat with balance issues. That doesn't really map to the MIDI universe I think, and I don't think either the electronic key sensors for MIDIfied acoustic or for digital accordions provide more than on/off information to the electronics. But with MIDI, you have other tools for balancing stuff.

Here is a recording of a very good Italian accordionist who displays real sensitivity and musicality …

I would also add a recording of Hanzhi Wang on button accordion. In addition to her expressiveness, her movements are 'at one' with the accordion.

Maybe being 'at one' with the instrument is a sign of great musicians.​

Thank you for posting these two wonderful videos. I love the expressions, both in their faces and body motion. I could almost feel the emotion radiating through my iPad screen and headphones. (of course, the specific music selections contributed significantly!) I contrast this to videos I’ve seen where the musician sits more like a stone and with facial expression that appears to project boredom rather than passion.

I even did something I rarely do - looked both up and put them on the 75” screen and listened through the good speakers - I especially loved the guy’s rendition (Francesco Palazzo?).

JKJ

That doesn't really map to the MIDI universe I think, and I don't think either the electronic key sensors for MIDIfied acoustic or for digital accordions provide more than on/off information to the electronics.
Thinko here: of course many (like the Rolands) provide key velocity, allowing them to deliver the "right" amount of button noise. But they don't catch the position or whether you linger in the almost-closed position.
But with MIDI, you have other tools for balancing stuff.

Back