• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Drum Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike K

Reaction score
Wondering if any one out there uses drum machines with their solo performances (acoustic accordions). I am thinking of trying one but I really know very little about them. Any recommendations/ideas/issues are welcome.

Lucky man you in the usa.....check out beatbuddy footpedal...think looks superb but difficult to import here without loads of costs (uk)

The big thing about rhythm machines is that they all work best with a MIDI interface. Without MIDI, all you have is the potential for drums to accompany you. The real magic happens when you can get accompaniment via drums and several other instruments all at the same time.

I own three machines now. The old king of the hill used to be the Solton Programmer 24. Solton was then bought out by Ketron, they make some good units and I also own a X4, which is great. The most recent one, and one optimized to work with the Roland V-accordion (though it can be made to work with just the drums alone if needed, but this is like running a Ferrari only in first gear... lol), is the Roland BK-7m. There are several other brands out there, but these are the ones I have experience with.

I you have an iPad, MacBook, etc., there are built-in "virtual drummers" in Garageband (free and included already) that you can play along with.

I think the winning feature of the beatbuddy for me is 'sampled' real drums and not midi generated electronic imitation sounds
Along with the ability to STOMP rhythmic fills , changes , intros and endings on the fly....

losthobos post_id=50886 time=1506726387 user_id=729 said:
I think the winning feature of the beatbuddy for me is sampled real drums and not midi generated electronic imitation sounds
Along with the ability to STOMP rhythmic fills , changes , intros and endings on the fly....

Beatbuddy, Also the ability to receive program changes from iPad apps such as OnSong and Songbook+. beatbuddy has some videos out on this. Although, I think it is pricy.

Just learned of this new product from Roland (Boss):

https://www.boss.info/us/products/dr-01s/

<YOUTUBE id=806rjdJc2Lk url=></YOUTUBE>

Basically a flexible drum machine with a built-in speaker. Or a really fancy metronome with drum sounds, depending on how you look at it. The patterns and samples seem to lean more toward acoustic/folk music--i.e., tambourines and shakers and such to go on top of standard drum set sounds, rather than a bunch of electronic-sounding dance beats.

Looks like its selling for $230 USD, which seems a bit overpriced for what you get (compared to just using drum machine software on a tablet or phone and running it through a bluetooth speaker or something), but I do like the convenience of it, and that nice woodgrain look. You can hook up footswitches to it for hand-free starts/stops/fills.

Nice one Jeff...i like the samples a lot ...
Ideally id love to find some decent conga loops myself or conga drum machine rhythm patterns....all I ever seem to find are patterns a programmer has arranged and nothing a real conga player would ever play....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back