• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Double Bassoon in free basses (Modding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastian Bravo

Reaction score
Hi forum! Hope you all are having a good time in quarentine, playing the accordion is a good way to get our minds away from the chaotic situation we are living now. I decided to share with you something i did days ago in my accordion, as i had some free time to make a new modding!

As some of you guys know, i have been modifying my accordion a lot since i bought it: I expanded the basses from 72 to 96, made a free bass section in the bottom part, installed a DIY 5+3 microphone system, replaced the reeds with higher quality Artiste Hohner reeds, and now, i decided to add another 16 set of reeds to the bass side, just to have that double bassoon sound in the free bass section.

Its a Hohner Concerto III, so, the chord reeds are 16+8+4, but i dont like the sound of the 5th reed, its too high for the basses. So, the plan was to modify that reed block, to make enough room for larger 16 reeds.

I had some 3mm MDF wood, it was the only wood i had in my house, and i cant go out and buy better quality wood because of the quarentine. But i was so motivated that i used the MDF anyways, just wanted to make the double 16 sound a reality.

First, i tried to make a normal reed block, but the space was so little, that i had to make it in 90[font=arial, sans-serif]°, just how the italian 5th reeds are placed. I also used the slider part of the original reed block.[/font]

(I dont have propper wood tools to cut it, so i used my dremel, kinda burned the wood in that spot hahah)

As for the reeds, i had some T. Hohner reeds from a Student VM. These are smaller, cheaper reeds, but they would do the job. There were 4 missing reeds, but i found them in another box.

After testing the sound, i decided to tune them to produce a very soft tremolo.
(still needs better fine tuning, but maybe tomorrow :D )

So, the new free bass configuratons can be 16+16 in the tenor register, and 16+16+8 in the master. Just need to add an individual switch to activate/deactivate the reeds, i will try to copy the 5th reed switch of a Hohner Morino VI N that i repaired months ago.
I am very happy with the new sound! It is a prototype, using only materials i had in my house. Maybe in the future i will make it again, with better wood and reeds.

Attachments

• rsz_img_20200429_042945_313.jpg
    rsz_img_20200429_042945_313.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 43
  • rsz_img_20200429_191305_869.jpg
    rsz_img_20200429_191305_869.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 38
  • rsz_img_20200429_223216_341.jpg
    rsz_img_20200429_223216_341.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 38
  • rsz_1img_20200503_020628.jpg
    rsz_1img_20200503_020628.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 32
  • rsz_img_20200503_020536.jpg
    rsz_img_20200503_020536.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 30
Amazing work! Next challenge: make a cassotto on the treble side for the L reeds  ;)

Dingo40 pid=71742 dateline=1588490491 said:
SB, youre amazing!
Whats your day job? :)

Thanks Dingo40. I work as an accordion technician, but i work in the night! :D

oldbayan pid=71758 dateline=1588513703 said:
Amazing work! Next challenge: make a cassotto on the treble side for the L reeds  ;)

Thats too much hahah, but maybe i will try to add piccolo reeds in the top of the clarinet reeds, in 90[font=arial, sans-serif]° of course![/font]

You keep embarking on new adventures... Keep it up! You're doing fine and learning a lot by experimenting.

The Frankenstein of all accordions sounds incredible... and... it's ALIIIVE! :) :) :)
What a pleasant sound... I've never heard FB like that!

Thanks Paul and Jerry for your kind comments!
i just finished the activator switch, it was a really hard work! but i managed to make it work perfectly!
[video=youtube]I will record some videos playing it tomorrow

In your first video, were you playing the bass with the right hand, meaning was the accordion flipped upside down? :)

JerryPH said:
In your first video, were you playing the bass with the right hand, meaning was the accordion flipped upside down?  :)

Sadly, the main camera of my phone is dead, so, i have to record videos with the selfie camera, and it mirrors the images, that's why it looks like this. But i play the accordion as normal (left hand basses and right hand keyboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back