• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Digital Accordions vs digital keyboards - pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
debra post_id=50133 time=1504728468 user_id=605 said:
More (money) isnt always more (functionality).
I bought a Yamaha CP-5 digital piano which is great (as a stage piano) with many sounds and possibilities beyond just piano. The other option was to get a Yamaha CP-1 which would offer fewer sounds but even better piano feel at about twice the price. I opted for the CP-5 but in the end used none of the options the CP-1 was lacking and I do notice the situations where the CP-1 would have been better (although the audience would never notice). In the end Im still in doubt whether the CP-5 was a better choice than the CP-1. Only my wallet is very sure I took the better option.
Yamaha CP-1 for $4,999 at Sweetwater.com! My, finally a portable digital piano as expensive as the FR4x, well slightly higher. You are right that with the CP-1 more money doesnt necessarily mean more functionality, but better quality and perhaps more features (wood keys and so forth). I did visit the Yamaha building at NAMM this year, but my ears, eyes, and feet were all tired. After a while, they all looked and sounded the same! Once again, in comparison with accordion pricing, you get a lot more of something with a digital piano for much less money. A number of years the late Roland factory rep Ron Lankford was showing me the new model FR7x, but he sounded like he was more excited about the new portable Roland V piano($6,999 at Sweetwater) and told me that I must try it out. I am not going into the detail but the V piano does have a lot of something which warrants the price tag. Now compare that with a digital accordion like the Gwerder that I had checked into a number of years ago. At first, the price was around $7,500 (maybe due to the exchange rate in part). No English manual. Basically lots of musette sounds(easy to emulate) and GM sound banks. A friend in Europe told me to the effect that you will choose the Roland every time over it.

torch post_id=50140 time=1504734787 user_id=421 said:
debra post_id=50133 time=1504728468 user_id=605 said:
More (money) isnt always more (functionality).
I bought a Yamaha CP-5 digital piano which is great (as a stage piano) with many sounds and possibilities beyond just piano. The other option was to get a Yamaha CP-1 which would offer fewer sounds but even better piano feel at about twice the price. I opted for the CP-5 but in the end used none of the options the CP-1 was lacking and I do notice the situations where the CP-1 would have been better (although the audience would never notice). In the end Im still in doubt whether the CP-5 was a better choice than the CP-1. Only my wallet is very sure I took the better option.
Yamaha CP-1 for $4,999 at Sweetwater.com! My, finally a portable digital piano as expensive as the FR4x, well slightly higher. You are right that with the CP-1 more money doesnt necessarily mean more functionality, but better quality and perhaps more features (wood keys and so forth). I did visit the Yamaha building at NAMM this year, but my ears, eyes, and feet were all tired. After a while, they all looked and sounded the same! Once again, in comparison with accordion pricing, you get a lot more of something with a digital piano for much less money. A number of years the late Roland factory rep Ron Lankford was showing me the new model FR7x, but he sounded like he was more excited about the new portable Roland V piano($6,999 at Sweetwater) and told me that I must try it out. I am not going into the detail but the V piano does have a lot of something which warrants the price tag. Now compare that with a digital accordion like the Gwerder that I had checked into a number of years ago. At first, the price was around $7,500 (maybe due to the exchange rate in part). No English manual. Basically lots of musette sounds(easy to emulate) and GM sound banks. A friend in Europe told me to the effect that you will choose the Roland every time over it.

I had a real piano player play on my then old Korg PA1x. He sounded phenomenal. But needed the sustain pedal which I do not use. I guess a good piano player has a better touch when playing semi weighted keys. But when I play on acoustic or $600 Casio priva, I am somewhat more pleased with my sound. Might be the weighted, wooden keys, attack or...that makes a difference. Although, I will never be just a piano player since my left hand licks are not well trained.
Wow! Paying over 6K/7K for a keyboard or accordion! And then some keep buying the new generations...

Keymn post_id=50125 time=1504700796 user_id=2502 said:
I think we are on the same page. To clarify, If a dining Club gig wants a piano player, use a good piano, not bring the accordion (I even tried that Casio, which fits my budget). SNIP
Sadly, that seems to be the reality. Once my teacher Johnny was playing in an upscale restaurant where a lot of young people hang around. He had his arranger keyboard and his 3x. As he was picking up the 3x, the owner told him not to play the accordion. I thought that If the young people were given the opportunity to hear fine music and different instruments of the 3x played by a top notch professional musician, they would have really enjoyed it. When Johnny and I took our Roland accordions to local music stores to try out different amps and PA speakers, all the young employees who are all musicians seemed so amazed. No hint of accordion bashing in them to say the least.

torch post_id=50147 time=1504745833 user_id=421 said:
Keymn post_id=50125 time=1504700796 user_id=2502 said:
I think we are on the same page. To clarify, If a dining Club gig wants a piano player, use a good piano, not bring the accordion (I even tried that Casio, which fits my budget). SNIP
Sadly, that seems to be the reality. Once my teacher Johnny was playing in an upscale restaurant where a lot of young people hang around. He had his arranger keyboard and his 3x. As he was picking up the 3x, the owner told him not to play the accordion. I thought that If the young people were given the opportunity to hear fine music and different instruments of the 3x played by a top notch professional musician, they would have really enjoyed it. When Johnny and I took our Roland accordions to local music stores to try out different amps and PA speakers, all the young employees who are all musicians seemed so amazed. No hint of accordion bashing in them to say the least.
In my experience young people are amazed with the accordion. Yes there is those diehard managers or agents that think that all there good for is Polkas and Oktoberfest. When I am at the German Restaurant, I sit comfortable on a stage play the accordion all the time, using arranger keyboard as style backup. Play German style, classic country, Oldies Rock, Latin and even Lay Down Sally. When I see a family with children, make an effort to go the table play without the arranger. A guaranteed bill in the tip jar!
As far as a arranger keyboard, I would never spend over 2K again. Put the money in the accordion! You will get more gigs. French, Italian and German Oktoberfest themes are top sellers.

Its prevalent in the US with the exception of young people who havent been exposed to the prejudices of the past. My teacher plays restaurants, with jazz groups, with a tango group, etc., and his constant cry is that accordionists have to shake things up and play what the public does NOT expect from accordions, or we will never rid ourselves of the negative image.

Alan

Alan Sharkis post_id=50166 time=1504804898 user_id=1714 said:

Its prevalent in the US with the exception of young people who havent been exposed to the prejudices of the past. My teacher plays restaurants, with jazz groups, with a tango group, etc., and his constant cry is that accordionists have to shake things up and play what the public does NOT expect from accordions, or we will never rid ourselves of the negative image.

Alan
In my younger days played the Cordovox, had a jazz/pop trio but also played top 40 which was then the 70s. No shame there, working in a hotel lounge nightly for 3 years. Developed a following until Corporate decided to change to a jazz nightclub moving In a grand piano. Called us back 6 months later, but we were committed to other gigs. The lounge never recouped.

Thanks to artists such as Nette Skog that pushes the VAccordion to the limit. No negative image there!

Keymn post_id=50156 time=1504772027 user_id=2502 said:
SNIP
As far as a arranger keyboard, I would never spend over 2K again. Put the money in the accordion! You will get more gigs. French, Italian and German Oktoberfest themes are top sellers.
Right, you dont have to spend over 2k. The latest Roland arranger E-A7 is only $1,299 (I think only accordionists can say it with ease...). How about the BK5 which is the keyboard version for the BK7m? The same number of sounds, probably more features, and 61 keys for the same price of the BK7m! What kind of accordion can you buy for 1k?

Oh, btw I called my 82 year old teacher and talked to him about this thread. I asked him whether he still had his old arranger keyboard. Its almost 20 years old, but that keyboard has over 3,000 high quality sounds, a light sensor(I think Roland calls it D-Beam, I have a keyboard like that), very powerful built in speakers. He will tell you it has so many good sounds. At the end, this is what he said, I dont really get too many jobs for the keyboard, but mostly accordion jobs... The keyboard model he has can be bought these days for under $400......

torch post_id=50223 time=1504936286 user_id=421 said:
Keymn post_id=50156 time=1504772027 user_id=2502 said:
SNIP
Right, you dont have to spend over 2k. The latest Roland arranger E-A7 is only $1,299 (I think only accordionists can say it with ease...). How about the BK5 which is the keyboard version for the BK7m? The same number of sounds, probably more features, and 61 keys for the same price of the BK7m! What kind of accordion can you buy for 1k?

Oh, btw I called my 82 year old teacher and talked to him about this thread. I asked him whether he still had his old arranger keyboard. Its almost 20 years old, but that keyboard has over 3,000 high quality sounds, a light sensor(I think Roland calls it D-Beam, I have a keyboard like that), very powerful built in speakers. He will tell you it has so many good sounds. At the end, this is what he said, I dont really get too many jobs for the keyboard, but mostly accordion jobs... The keyboard model he has can be bought these days for under $400......

Being a Full-time musician, rely more on improving music skills then being buried in whats new. Are they going to pay more if I had FR8X? I will never know...?
I have a friend whom finds guitars that are dumped and makes them into a fine tuned instrument. Has a collection that is priceless.

It is interesting what Korg is doing. They now released a pa700 for $1300.00 (after the pa1000).
Has many of the flagship pa4x functions. Has a Guitar function, instead of appegio, a real strum feel, I think when you hold a chord?
Something I would consider but my PA3x is bought and paid!

One strategy to get a great digital piano is to get the cheapest midi-enabled keyboard you like, and then play the piano sound via a laptop. The best piano sound I know is from PianoTeq. It is a physically-modeled piano (no samples, so its small) and its relativel inexpensive (from $129). (BTW, I have no association with Modart other than being a satisfied customer.) Yes, you have to have a laptop, but you probably already have one. My favorite digital piano action is by Kawai (I use an old MP-8). Its a fantastic combination when I play late at night and dont want to annoy the neighbors.

(Mandatory accordion content.) I wish I could find software to run on my laptop with a good acoustic accordion sound. The Roland FR-3X is a good midi controller, but I do not like its sound.

xocd post_id=50374 time=1505408593 user_id=2246 said:
One strategy to get a great digital piano is to get the cheapest midi-enabled keyboard you like, and then play the piano sound via a laptop. The best piano sound I know is from PianoTeq. It is a physically-modeled piano (no samples, so its small) and its relativel inexpensive (from $129). (BTW, I have no association with Modart other than being a satisfied customer.) Yes, you have to have a laptop, but you probably already have one. My favorite digital piano action is by Kawai (I use an old MP-8). Its a fantastic combination when I play late at night and dont want to annoy the neighbors.

(Mandatory accordion content.) I wish I could find software to run on my laptop with a good acoustic accordion sound. The Roland FR-3X is a good midi controller, but I do not like its sound.
iPad too has some nice piano apps. I ran them with my Korg Microarranger. But with iPad, the camera kit connection is not very reliable. Make sure if you invest, cut the wires and go with keys with Bluetooth built in. Digital is digital, acoustic is acoustic. I like the accordion sounds on my Korg PA3x. Much warmer!
If you got the bucks the Roland Integra-7 must be something awesome. Something I would get if recording in my home studio. Not for Me as a poor gigging musician.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Integra7

xocd post_id=50374 time=1505408593 user_id=2246 said:
I wish I could find software to run on my laptop with a good acoustic accordion sound. The Roland FR-3X is a good midi controller, but I do not like its sound.

There are more options out there than you may think. Kontact is a good place to start.

<YOUTUBE id=5yb-0OcHQ_w url=></YOUTUBE>
<YOUTUBE id=M5SRXxSJ5xE url=></YOUTUBE>
<YOUTUBE id=pLPbGAjVKGk url=>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLPbGAjVKGk</YOUTUBE>
<YOUTUBE id=Mdq5CkshrjA url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdq5CkshrjA>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdq5CkshrjA</YOUTUBE>
<YOUTUBE id=mL-ixaqe6FA url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-ixaqe6FA>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-ixaqe6FA</YOUTUBE>
<YOUTUBE id=nOz1j3FjDc8 url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOz1j3FjDc8>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOz1j3FjDc8</YOUTUBE>
<YOUTUBE id=dKPPfwyzFMg url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKPPfwyzFMg>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKPPfwyzFMg</YOUTUBE>

None of these players consider playing the bass in real time though. Playing the bass from a keyboard will be a tough call to get it to sound authentic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glenn post_id=50384 time=1505426780 user_id=61 said:
None of these players consider playing the bass in real time though. Playing the bass from a keyboard will be a tough call to get it to sound authentic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is a start, but may take time for further software development...I never knew this existed. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back