• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

can i get some info on digital accordions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

accordian

I plan to buy a digital accordion in the future but with there being the fr1 the fr 3 etc. i dont know which one would be the right one for me. from what i have seen the fr 1 doesnt have a full set of buttons for the bass the fr3 does etc. so there is alot of options to pick

what i'm looking for is an accordion which has 120 bass buttons and from what i can see the digital accordions can play different instruments in terms of this ive seen various digital accordions that can play harmonica , guitar , organ etc. in terms of this i would be looking for harmonica , guitar and mussette

I don't mean to sound as though anyone works in a shop or anything it's just i cant seem to find enough information.

thanks

Hello,
There is a lot to learn about digital accordions and you've found a good site to begin. The Roland digital accordion is one that is available and widely discussed here. You might check out the Roland website (Roland.com) and type in "V accordion" in the search box to see what they offer.

The FR1-X is the smallest, 26 treble keys and 72 bass buttons. There also is a button treble instrument.

If you want a 120 bass instrument, then you'll be looking at the FR3-X or the newer FR4-X both of which have 120 basses as does their top of the line FR8-X. Both the 3 and 4 X's have 37 piano treble keys (and button models as well) but they are quite different:

The 3X has 21 accordion "sets" 10 "orchestral" sounds (Trombone, Trumpet, T Sax, A Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Violin, Flute, El. PianoOrg, Strings) 10 organ sounds and 7 orchestral bass sounds. A "set" is like a different accordion, switching sets is like picking up a different accordion.

The 4X has 100 accordion "sets" 162 "orchestral" sounds and 32 organ sounds.

Each also has the capability of creating user programs for combining different sounds that can be changed to with just the push of a button.

These accordions are not inexpensive. I have seen the 3X for about $2000-2500 and the 4X for about $3500-4000. The little 1X might be found for $1500-2000. So they are an investment, for a long time. If you play now, you might check out if there's one near you to see, hear and try. There are also many, many YouTube videos to give you some idea of what they sound like as well.

Keep looking and learning about them and have fun!

It's difficult for the folks here to help you with the little info you provided.

- What's your level as an accordion player? Novice? Advanced? Professional?
- Do you currently own any accordion?
- How do you know you need 120 bass button?

In the current Roland line-up, I think the FR-4x and FR-8x have 120 bass. The FR-1x has 72.

IMO, the more severe limit of the FR-1x is on the treble side, only 2 octaves. The FR-1xb, having 3 octaves, is sufficient for most people. I, as a mid-level player, am happy with the FR-1xb. But if I were playing piano accordion, I'd get an FR-4x or FR-3x.

If you just start playing accordion, I suggest you NOT to worry about the different sounds the accordion can play. If you later have needs for different sounds, you can easily add a sound module/arranger/backing unit.

Why don't you start your research with downloading and reading the owners' manuals?

If you post your location, someone in the neighborhood may offer you to come and try his/her accordions.

well ive been playing for over a month now and can play quite alot of songs the reason that i would like to buy a 120 bass is because i keep finding that im running out of buttons both vertically and horizontally. as said iv'e been playing for over a month (lost track) but with a 32 bass as long as i have enough buttons i'm seeming ok to learn it and not too dificult. some songs i can just play first try, some i have to take slower but either way im invested and would like to get an accordion that i wouldn't have to keep buying bigger ones for. I know the acoustic 120 bass would be cheaper but i dont think my neigbours would be too happy. and so with this in mind if im going to be buying a digital accordion then im going to be waiting a little while anyway so why not get the one I think is best rather than just the cheapest available.

If I were you, and if I had the fund, I'd go for an FR-4x. If I wanted to save some money, I'd get a used FR-3x.

Note that my advice is worth exactly the price you pay for it.

I just played a 4 hour gig with my 4x. Doing an Oktoberfest show with a 4 piece band. I am tired, but my shoulders/back ok.
I just could not see playing standing and strolling around the stage with an 8x. Only thing I miss sometimes is those extra treble keys on the full size accordion. Sitting in a performance maybe ok with a full size, but I like mobility when I perform. I think too is stay at the upper limit of $3K - 4K.

Wireless audio update: :b
My Line 6 G10 worked perfectly at tonight's gig. I wandered out over maybe 60 feet, no drop outs.

I don't own a digital accordion, but I know several people who do. They are all professional accordionists who bought their digital accordions after many years of playing acoustic accordions. They all say that there is a place for both acoustic and digital accordions in their work. For example, the digital will be less subject to the effects of smoky, humid, or salt-air environments, and it will provide effects, such as reverb as well as other instrument sounds. But they also say that it took a long time to get used to the bellows action of their digital accordions which is not the same as that of acoustic accordions, and to get used to the deeper keyboard action that digital accordions must have in order to provide velocity sensitivity and aftertouch. It also takes some learning to be able to program and "tweak" the sounds of the digital accordions.

What I do own is an accordion with midi installed. It's another way to go. There are several midi units on the market. Mine happens to be Master Midi Play, but I know that MusicTech is another popular brand with several models available. Actually, midi can be installed in any acoustic accordion, and it can give you many, if not all, of the other instrument sounds that you might need. However, you will need to buy an amplifier (not a guitar amplifier, but a full-range amplifier such as a keyboard amplifier) to use with it. Most midi units also have earphone jacks, so if your accordion has a "mute" register you can play through the midi unit without disturbing your neighbors. If it doesn't have a "mute" register, you can close the bellows straps and rely on a foot volume pedal for expression. You also have the possibility of playing the acoustic reeds along with other sounds provided by the midi.

Good luck in your quest!

Alan

Alan Sharkis post_id=50921 time=1506881105 user_id=1714 said:
I dont own a digital accordion, but I know several people who do. They are all professional accordionists who bought their digital accordions after many years of playing acoustic accordions. They all say that there is a place for both acoustic and digital accordions in their work. For example, the digital will be less subject to the effects of smoky, humid, or salt-air environments, and it will provide effects, such as reverb as well as other instrument sounds. But they also say that it took a long time to get used to the bellows action of their digital accordions which is not the same as that of acoustic accordions, and to get used to the deeper keyboard action that digital accordions must have in order to provide velocity sensitivity and aftertouch. It also takes some learning to be able to program and tweak the sounds of the digital accordions.

What I do own is an accordion with midi installed. Its another way to go. There are several midi units on the market. Mine happens to be Master Midi Play, but I know that MusicTech is another popular brand with several models available. Actually, midi can be installed in any acoustic accordion, and it can give you many, if not all, of the other instrument sounds that you might need. However, you will need to buy an amplifier (not a guitar amplifier, but a full-range amplifier such as a keyboard amplifier) to use with it. Most midi units also have earphone jacks, so if your accordion has a mute register you can play through the midi unit without disturbing your neighbors. If it doesnt have a mute register, you can close the bellows straps and rely on a foot volume pedal for expression. You also have the possibility of playing the acoustic reeds along with other sounds provided by the midi.

Good luck in your quest!

Alan
Yes, I agree, nothing like an acoustic accordion with midi installed. In my case I perform many environments in humid conditions. Like this outdoor festivals I just performed. My fr4x performed well in high humidity. It sounded awesome clean through pair of QSC K12 system. Switching accordion to the sax sound harmonizing with a live trumpet player too was a nice feel. Not sure about reed action in these conditions?
Yes there is editing on VAccordion which sometimes a selling point with third party edit included. Because my style of music is different from those third parties, I chose to edit myself. It is not that difficult but could be time consuming.

Keymn post_id=50889 time=1506742861 user_id=2502 said:
I just could not see playing standing and strolling around the stage with an 8x.

The 8X is not heavy as accordions go, but it is heavier than a 4X by about 7 pounds (26 lbs. 11 oz. vs 19 lbs. 10 oz.). I used to do standing 8 hour stints twice weekly (with six 15 minute breaks in there), with a 36 pound Hohner Morino VI N, so using the 8X would be a walk in the park. Every time I put it on, I marvel at how light the 8X feels for me!

Being older and smarter now, I would not recommend doing 4 hours straight doing ANYTHING physical without several breaks in there and of course being in shape to handle any weight you place on your body using any instrument, of course. :)

Also, there is nothing wrong with doing a partial set sitting in a proper throne or stool to give your back and shoulders a rest. I prefer sitting, but when around people, yes, I will tend to want to stand and walk around... but knowing what I do now, I would limit things just so that I can play the accordion 35 years from now in my 90s... lol Taking care now means better future health and ability to play, so if that is important to you, do what is logical and take care of your body. ;) :b

JerryPH post_id=50940 time=1506905318 user_id=1475 said:
Keymn post_id=50889 time=1506742861 user_id=2502 said:
I just could not see playing standing and strolling around the stage with an 8x.

The 8X is not heavy as accordions go, but it is heavier than a 4X by about 7 pounds (26 lbs. 11 oz. vs 19 lbs. 10 oz.). I used to do standing 8 hour stints twice weekly (with six 15 minute breaks in there), with a 36 pound Hohner Morino VI N, so using the 8X would be a walk in the park. Every time I put it on, I marvel at how light the 8X feels for me!

Being older and smarter now, I would not recommend doing 4 hours straight doing ANYTHING physical without several breaks in there and of course being in shape to handle any weight you place on your body using any instrument, of course. :)

Also, there is nothing wrong with doing a partial set sitting in a proper throne or stool to give your back and shoulders a rest. I prefer sitting, but when around people, yes, I will tend to want to stand and walk around... but knowing what I do now, I would limit things just so that I can play the accordion 35 years from now in my 90s... lol Taking care now means better future health and ability to play, so if that is important to you, do what is logical and take care of your body. ;) :b

What did those Cordovox weigh? Played six night 4 hour gigs with one, standing. But in my 20s.
I agree sitting and standing as a trade off during sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back