• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Daily exercises for CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo

Reaction score
I'm wondering what daily exercises are the best use of time.
When I was a pianist I did at least an hour of scales, arpeggios and Hanon/Schmidt/etc. before even starting on repertoire.

I don't have that kind of time these days.

Right now I play major scales in all 12 keys using rows 1-3.
Then 2-octave arpeggios.
Then Palmer-Hughes Adventures in Bassland for LH warmup.

Then on to songs.

I know I should probably add minor scales and arpeggios.

Anything I'm missing that can help with muscle memory for the treble?

Using numbered music notation (Chevé notation, the scales from 1 to 7) for the melody line can improve muscle memory on the CBA.
It's key independent.

i'd say it depends where you want your playing to go and what you wish to achieve...
I've never been consistent with practicing scales...or anything for that matter...however i often think the most important practice for me would be the transition notes that lead well into the next chord as well as the target tone in the next chord...
i must practice more...

Although I play the Pa, not the CBA, I find it interesting to see what other people's daily practice looks like.

I usually practice scales for about 15 minutes. I then go over songs that I have memorized. Next, I will work on going through a tutor book lesson. Finally, I play whatever I feel like playing.

to me it is the same be it a continental chromatic, a piano box or indeed a british chromatic (diatonic) and probably any other instrument.

regular Scale practice in several keys is essential both as a warming up exercise but also because scales are the road along which any tune moves along. This applies to both 'dotists' and ''earists'

I would suggest that time is also given tp practicing tricky parts of particular tunes seperate from the tune as a whole. eg the fast run down in Harvest Home hornpipe. This is because inabaility to play the tricky bits at the right speed i.e. slowing down for the tricky bits often lets a tune down . Aslo the 'tricky bits' of one tune may well occur in other tunes or at least something similar.
After that just play whatever comes to mind with particular attention being payed to improving RPD (rhythm, phrasing and dynamics) which are the oft neglected bits that turn the right notes in the right order inato something 'musical'!

george

Fingering is always problematical

...anyone have 'easy' fingering suggestions for the scale of G and D on a 3 row (CBA C system) please?

Bocsa,

If you're using the thumb it's actually fairly easy using only three fingers. You probably won't find these fingerings in any of the current method books, and I'll admit that they may be a bit unorthodox. However, these are about the easiest I can think of. I taught myself to play using the French Ferrero method which prohibited use of the thumb entirely. However, I now take lessons from a CBA teacher, and I've revised my fingering to make what we both consider to be the best use of it. For some tunes I simply cannot use the fingering he uses and he cannot use mine, so don't get bogged down with "right and wrong". We both just play along using whatever fingering we can manage. Certain styles of music often require a fingering rethink, and I still keep the thumb on the side most of the time when I play French musette, so that I can get a better staccato sound. However, for most other styles my thumb is working overtime, all over the outside three rows of the keyboard.

For G try 2,1,2,1,2,3,1,2

For D try 2,3,1,2,1,2,1,2

If neither of them work then just try and find something that suits you. The thumb can be a great ally on a 3 row but try and keep it on the outside row only unless you're playing 4 or 5 note chords.

If you don't use the thumb you can play both scales by using the principle of finger 2 on third row, finger 3 on second row and finger 4 on first row, although that doesn't work for the C scale, where you need to start the scale with finger 2 on row 1. Starting the G scale on the second row with the third finger might seem a bit strange, and for that reason I would seriously recommend using that thumb.

Thanks M> that's given me something to try tomorrow ... so many notes, so few fingers ;)

I did ask a 'Professional' at a Box and Fiddle club a year or two ago ...the flash B just ran his fingers up and down the buttons and said is that what you mean? (!)
Felt a bit sorry for him, such an ego must have been a great burden ...

Bocsa,

I've seen at least a dozen method books, and no two of them give identical fingering. The vast majority of French method books only give fingering for the outside three rows, at least in the early stages, but their teaching methods are/were consistent with the fact that the earliest French CBAs had very small closely spaced buttons that made use of the thumb impractical.

Since about the 1970s they have revised their philosophies on fingering and now tend to follow the global trend of using all five fingers. If you've ever seen or played a modern French instrument you'll realise that, although the treble buttons are now of a more manageable diameter, they are still smaller than the "standard" size, and their closer spacing will often tempt the player to keep the thumb on the outside of the treble keyboard out of the way until it is required.

Unfortunately, even when CBA is played slowly it is often impossible to work out visually what a player is actually doing. One example is button trills. Most players will probably use a combination of three or even four fingers to achieve a button trill, whereas a French player will often use just fingers 2 and 3 only in quick repetition, having learned to do that from the fingering stipulated in a French method book. If I can dare to be unorthodox yet again, place your thumb on the outside edge of the treble keyboard and try playing a complete scale using only fingers 2 and 3 to trill each note, working slowly (2,3,2 - 3,2,3, then repeat as you go) until you can manage three consecutive notes. If you can manage a complete scale then good, but I appreciate that your playing aspirations may not include French musette. Don't worry about patterns, or any notion of "correctness". Your only aim is to get finger 2 or 3 on the next button in the scale, even if it seems that another finger would be a more natural choice. Fingers 2 and 3 are the only ones allowed. Then try the same thing using three or four fingers of your choice without using the thumb as a "pivot" and see how you get on.

If everything turns out as it should you'll probably be able to work out why the older French musette players kept the thumb off. I'm not saying you should use it as a daily exercise, as it flies in the face of modern convention, but the old adage was why use three fingers when two will do, and also minimise the chance of a mistake?

I dare say PA players will have similar "tricks", but I've never played a PA.

Thanks once again M>
The advice on trills will be useful (Jacqueline Waltz ...if I ever get round to it)

Just need the self discipline to make trills a daily exercise ... along with just the D & G scales for now.

*** mitchnc ..thanks for starting this thread :)

Bocsa,

Your mention of Jacqueline Waltz takes me back to the 50s and 60s when it was a very popular tune in Scotland. Will Starr was born about 10 miles away from where I lived in North Lanarkshire. I don't know how he did the trills on his B,C,C# box, but very few people indeed have managed to "nail" the tune on any other kind of accordion. Most Scottish players who attempt it slow it down a tad so that they have more control, but Will played it slightly up tempo. He had been playing (and recording) various French musette standards about the time he composed the tune. When he played "Continental" music his style was similar to that of the revered French player, Emile Vacher, who played a "mixte" accordion that was similar in configuration to the British Chromatic.

The "mixte" accordion was rather quickly superseded in France by the CBA, whereas in Scotland the British Chromatic is still in use to this day.

Most of us who have heard the tune will attempt to play the Jacqueline Waltz, but I can honestly say that I've never heard anybody who can quite pull it off like Will Starr did. I can play it after a fashion, but after 1000 or so attempts I finally decided I'd just rather listen to Will Starr. The tune is not particularly difficult, even the button trills, but stringing it all together is nigh on impossible if Scottish accordion is not your mainstream genre. It is a Continental style waltz, but the chord progressions and phrasing have more than a dash of tartan about them. .

The French player, Aimable Pluchard, was one of the most famous of all the French accordionists, yet played everything (he recorded over 10,000 titles) with only three fingers of his right hand. He was criticised for lack of technique by everybody from street musicians to professors in the conservatories, but his bank balance would probably have added up to more than those of all his critics added together. He broke every rule in the accordion book, but his style of delivery won him audiences of thousands. I once viewed a video of some top French players "having a go" at some of his tunes in a testimonial, and not one of them could get the tunes across like Aimable could. A lot of his material was indeed "Europop" aimed at the older generations, but as I say nobody else could touch him for his unique playing technique. If you ever see him playing his right hand jumps all over the keyboard with no real flow to it, but the accuracy he acquired by playing with only three fingers was second to none. Not for him "What fingering will I use?" Even when he played what would be considered more technically advanced material, it was three fingers only, with the other two presumably raised at the accordion professors! His style was appropriate for the French musette genre, but perhaps not much else, as if he cared!

The interesting thing was he did actually receive accordion lessons from Emile Larchanché (father of Maurice Larcange), and it seems that accordionists in the Valenciennes area were also exponents of the "three finger trick". Maurice Larcange tutored dozens of youngsters, including Eric Bouvelle, and in the old videos you could see that most of his pupils played mainly using three fingers, with the little finger (and less commonly the thumb), being used as auxiliaries only. Since French musette has fallen from grace the old fashioned fingering has suffered the same fate. Most people would say it was for the better, but when young players give renditions of the classics these days, the style of delivery often lacks the punch it had in days gone by. Then again, a fair number of French musette renditions these days tend to be a bit tongue in cheek.

It occurred to me with regard to valuable practice exercises that the French virtuosi, Andre Astier and Joss Baselli, paid a lot of attention to the following exercise for CBA in the very early days of study:-

It consists of playing C,D,E,F,G, and return to C, using fingers 1,2,3,4,5 on the outside three rows only. Those with large hands might find it a bit tight, but it was an essential requirement for their method for developing finger independence. Speed was not so important as building strength in the little finger.

The temptation when playing up tempo is to play 1,2,3,2,3, and most of us (who have learned by a French method) would probably use that eventually, but it is worth persevering with all 5 fingers until it becomes second nature.

In time some methods have you playing chromatic scales on the outside three rows using only fingers 3,4, and 5. Pretty illogical I know, but good for developing finger independence.

maugein96 post_id=64548 time=1543149667 user_id=607 said:
I
It consists of playing C,D,E,F,G, and return to C, using fingers 1,2,3,4,5 on the outside three rows only.

Ill give it a go ...once Ive conquered a mountain of domestic trivia :roll:

Biggest problem is the other half of the octave, following on from C,D,E,F,G to A, B, C, D, E, F# G, A ...

Bocsa,

That exercise isn't intended to progress past G, but as you are curious, I'll go into it a bit further.

The assumption was by 1971 that most students would be learning on 4 or 5 row instruments, and the scale of C was usually played over 4 rows if the student possessed such an instrument.

However, the three row option stipulated by Astier and Baselli was as follows:-

C=1, D=2, E=3, F=4, G=5, A=1, B=2, C=1.

That switch from 5 on G to 1 on A is unique to that particular method book, and is a little bit awkward. Or so I thought until I had a look at Galliano's fingering of 1,2,3,4,2,3,4,1. That change from 4 to 2 is the most illogical fingering I've ever seen, and it appears to be on three rows only. However, as they say "If it works for him....". I could be wrong, but I believe he may have started out on PA on his father's instrument. PA players who "convert" to CBA often bring "interesting" fingering variations to the instrument, but I'm not about to contact him and tell him he hasn't made a very good job of his method book.

I'm happy enough to know that outside of the accordion world I am more famous than he is, as I would wager that Johnnie Walker (my real name) is better known than Galliano, which is an Italian liqueur, little known outside of Italy.

It really is a matter of taking your choice. There's no way in this world that I could make Galliano's fingering work for me. It's OK when descending, but it would take me a very long time to get the hang of it when ascending. There are more logical fingers to use when playing a single scale, but for ease of memory and to play through two or more octaves you're looking at using the same fingering for each octave, and for the scale of C that usually means getting the thumb on to C at the start and finish of each scale.

I think I've maybe seen at least 5 different methods of fingering the C scale, and every one of the authors swears that their fingering is best.

You don't say whether your accordion is 4 row, or whether you just prefer to learn on three. With the method books I used the fingering was easy as the thumb wasn't allowed, and everything was done on three rows. When the thumb comes into play it is certainly an easier task if you have a four row, at least for the scale of C.

Thanks, I have a 3 row and a 5 row (96 & 72 bass)

... It's just that the 3 row is a little more portable than the 72 bass 5 row.

Bocsa,

You might want to try the following Astier/Baselli fingering for C over 4 rows on your 5 row instrument:-

C=1,D=2,E=3,F=4,G=1,A=2X,B=3,C=1 . The "X" is their notation for row 4, and it is a lot easier doing it that way. You only play the A on row 4, and stay on the outer 3 rows for the remainder.

You'll not be surprised that other method books use different fingering for the same scale using exactly the same buttons, but the Astier/Baselli version is less finger busting. Once you get the hang of passing the thumb under your 4th finger when moving from F to G it won't take long to master it.

maugein96 post_id=64571 time=1543188268 user_id=607 said:
You might want to try the following Astier/Baselli fingering for C over 4 rows on your 5 row instrument:-

C=1,D=2,E=3,F=4,G=1,A=2X,B=3,C=1 . The X is their notation for row 4, and it is a lot easier doing it that way. You only play the A on row 4, and stay on the outer 3 rows for the remainder.

I found this pattern very interesting... And continued into the second octave on rows three and four...i found it so much easier to build chord melodies this way as feels more natural to open my hand laterally as opposed to curling back on myself
Ie Dm DF on row 3 and AC on row 4 rather than on row one...really helped tidy the movements of Fly Me To The Moon in Am by starting
Am EG on 2nd row, AC on 4th
Dm DF on 2nd row, AC on 4th
G7 on rows 2 and 3 leading to C on rows 1 and 2, played rest as normal..
Feels so much tidier descending this way as less wrist rotation required..
Hooe that makes some kind of sense..thanks for the idea...

For your daily exercises on the accordion, the trick is to find a piece of beautiful music that combines several difficult techniques.
No dry dull technical studies, but lovely tunes.

This is a very demanding piece of music, but the melody is quite simple:
Vladislav Pligovka (bayan) - XXIX Bayan & bayanists / Владислав Плиговка (баян) - Баян и баянисты

Or you choose a few of your favorit tunes, and put in all the techniques you want to master. Rewrite the sheet music.

I am inclined to agree with Stephen as far as folk/trad/jolly tune etc etc playing goes whether by ear or from the dots. I would however emphasise that a few minutes scale practice regularly or as a warm up exercise is vital both to develop flexibility of ones digits and to develop the ability to play in different scales without hitting problems.

On the other hand those persuing ''serious'' exams, grades etc and following a prescribed course of tuition need to stick to ''the book'' together with what their teacher suggests.

I suppose its ''horses for courses''

george

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back