• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Cut my finger just before show - what to do?

Just saying, I had the same operation and left the hospital with blood seeping out not only through the stitches and the dressing but also through a folded hand towel and singlet and visibly soaking my shirt!🤣
Clearly, my surgeon had not heard of "Vetbond ".
During my stay, (a private hospital) the builders working on extensions, were busily jack hammering on the pre-existing solid, reinforced concrete floor and footings just outside my window from dawn till dusk: so restful!😀
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!🤣

Last edited:
I have a couple small bottles of New Skin here. For me it's kind of hit or miss - I remember getting outstanding results with it at least once, but not so much since then. I thought it was cyanoacrylate, as this adhesive is used in products like this, but looking it up I'm surprised to find that it isn't cyanoacrylate. Its active ingredient could be:
  • 8-hydroxyquinoline (apparently the original ingredient, that really worked but was replaced years ago, after which the product doesn't work so well, by most accounts.)
  • Benzethonium Chloride
  • pyroxylin (label on my bottle - apparently it's nitrocellulose, or collodion, and has been used for wound treatment for a couple centuries.)
Some years back I drove to a far away gig and one of the band's trumpet players rode along, and when he got out of the car he managed to shut the door on his little finger, splitting it open. '70s Volvo with a heavy, tight door. We went to the pharmacy and looked for some kind of dressing for it, and I encouraged him to get some of this New Skin miracle cure. Result was only massive stinging. I think the only hope for the current product to work, is a fairly dry surface - if you bleed into the stuff before it dries, it isn't going to work.

Next time I'm at the pharmacy, I will try to remember to look for a cyanoacrylate product like Dermabond. It's nice to have something on hand that works.

Back