• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Continuing Free bass practice

breezybellows

Reaction score
I started learning to play the songs from a piano book called "first exercises for Bach". This is the first song. After weeks of practice, it's starting to sound smooth. I already took a peek of the second minuet and it has a spooky harmony. Very excited to learn that.

A very familiar tune, to all of us who learned violin (or flute or cello or anything else) from the Suzuki Method! (And 40 years after I first heard it, bar 8 STILL always sounds like a mistake to my ear, but that A sure is what is on the page...)

Your left hand is 1 octave too high (the equivalent of a piano player trying to play with 2 hands on top of each other which is physically impossible), and the right hand register chosen is too loud tossing the balance between right and left hands out the window.

Short of that, you are almost there!

I like the duet effect of 2 voices together.
Perhaps a bit lyrical, more a slow air than a dance tune - how about finding some minuet dancers (YT?).
Is the second piece in G minor - if so, I really like it as a contrast to this one - I don't know if 'lumpy' is the right word but I think the Gmin has more character.

JerryPH is quite correct. If your accordion is equipped with a lower bass register try it.

JerryPH is quite correct. If your accordion is equipped with a lower bass register try it.
No so much another register, most Free Bass have 4-5 octaves, just play the left hand an octave lower and choose something like a clarinet reed on the right hand.

You are doing GREAT!
Give me a shout if you need any easy FB music with LH fingering in.
Easy FB music with LH fingering is something that I've been searching for for a long time. I would love to have that. I'm currently making do with Piano method books. Let me know where I can get that from.

Your left hand is 1 octave too high (the equivalent of a piano player trying to play with 2 hands on top of each other which is physically impossible), and the right hand register chosen is too loud tossing the balance between right and left hands out the window.

Short of that, you are almost there!
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try moving down an octave on the left hand side. I've placed the phone towards the right hand side. That might also be a factor in the left/right balance. I will look into it to see if I need to switch to clarinet register on the treble side.

I like the duet effect of 2 voices together.
Perhaps a bit lyrical, more a slow air than a dance tune - how about finding some minuet dancers (YT?).
Is the second piece in G minor - if so, I really like it as a contrast to this one - I don't know if 'lumpy' is the right word but I think the Gmin has more character.
Are you referring to the second half of the piece? I believe that is in G Major too. I too like minor keys a lot.

?? second half of the piece ??
No, it's the 2nd piece in a book I can no longer find: minuet in Gmin bwv 115
This:

edit: Found it. A book I found useful when starting freebass:

J.S. Bach First Lessons in Bach (Schirmer Performance Editions)

Last edited:

Interesting coincidence, I ordered this book (vol 1-2) yesterday, I should have it by this Wednesday. :)

This:

That is the book I'm using as well. That second piece is pure magic.

Back