• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

CME widi new feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keymn

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Check out this article…
Soft Thru is a new feature added to the latest firmware.

It is set to off by default.

This is the paragraph we will add to the manual soon:

USB Soft Thru (only for WIDI Uhost and WIDI Bud Pro): When using USB for MIDI, some MIDI instruments (such as the Roland V-Accordion) can only function as a MIDI controller. In this case, the routing from the keyboard to the internal sound module is disconnected. MIDI messages can only be sent to the computer via USB. If you want to use the keyboard to play the internal sound of the instrument, you must send MIDI messages from the computer's DAW software back to the instrument via USB. When you turn on the USB Soft Thru, you no longer need to connect to the computer and the MIDI messages you play will directly return to the internal sound module via WIDI USB. The same messages are also sent to the external BLE MIDI device via WIDI Bluetooth.

Last edited:
OK, I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing this... if I understand, you are saying that the V-accordions cannot play their internal sounds AND send MIDI info to a DAW/MIDI module at the same time? If so, that's only a limitation of any V-accordion that has a single MIDI connector set to transmit only, not the case with an 8X that has MIDI in/out ports.

In the recent video I made, it was evident that I was triggering the internal accordion sounds on the 8X and the clarinet, Leslie and music box sounds on the Ketron X4 at the same time... and controlling the volume of the Ketron via velocity keys of the 8X and controlling the volume of the accordion via the bellows pressure.

Am I not getting it, Larry? :)

Last edited:
maybe on older firmware then?

fr1x does both at the same time as well

Picture a physical MIDI thru port’s function. What does it do and why? It makes a copy of what comes into an instrument’s IN port and sends it out to another instrument with no additional modification. I can see where this might be helpful to those V-Accordions that don’t have separate MIDI in and MIDI out ports like the FR-8x, only in this case it is wireless.

A THRU is needed when you want to have 2 devices that listen on different (or even the same) channels and do different things... IE an arranger and sound module. Set the left hand to listen to the chord changes on the X4 and have an external sound module do all the right hand sounds... or how about having 2 arrangers and use 1 at a time? In both cases the signal goes OUT from the 8X in to 1 MIDI module, THRU it in to #2... if you place it in to the OUT, on the arranger, it does not let the MIDI data pass through as it is an option of being able to use an external MIDI module for it's own uses if we wanted.
MIDI OUT strips all MIDI data that entered via the MDI IN... MIDI THRU passes through all the MIDI data sent by the source.

Widi has done a great contribution to us accordions players by adding the soft thru. Been testing this at first with a sysex message for both the uhost and Widibud pro at first. Now with the softthru switch in the app, makes it easier for us…thank you widi…

OK, I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing this... if I understand, you are saying that the V-accordions cannot play their internal sounds AND send MIDI info to a DAW/MIDI module at the same time? If so, that's only a limitation of any V-accordion that has a single MIDI connector set to transmit only, not the case with an 8X that has MIDI in/out ports.

In the recent video I made, it was evident that I was triggering the internal accordion sounds on the 8X and the clarinet, Leslie and music box sounds on the Ketron X4 at the same time... and controlling the volume of the Ketron via velocity keys of the 8X and controlling the volume of the accordion via the bellows pressure.

You are correct with using your Ketron…see page 84 on the right side connecting to a daw…https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/FR-4x_reference_e01_W.pdf

In order to connect a Bluetooth pedal like Airturn, the softthru switch on the widi bud pro or widi uhost app is needed. The purpose of widi products is to connect without pc or iPad. With “ext seq. Off” keyboard sends note messages to the Airturn. If Airturn button is pressed that sends a particular midi control or program message (Ex. Register selection), the additional message(s) is sent to the accordion. The only purpose I use it for is connecting Bluetooth pedal like Airturn bt200s. Maybe the Airturn and Widi products will be another option to the fc300 or Behringer pedal…?

Last edited:
Maybe the Airturn and Widi products will be another option to the fc300 or Behringer pedal…?
Maybe. The function of the FC300 is to have the physical switches that understand a particular function or sound or volume control. Even with the CME product, one still needs that physical button on some kind of device to do that, and if that expensive ($500+) pedal could be replaced with a $100 pedal, it may be viable. What CME need to do is not just make the device that communicates this info, but pedals as complex as the FC300 with additional buttons and "volume" pedals that are programmable and are very affordable to best take advantage of their tech. :)

Maybe. The function of the FC300 is to have the physical switches that understand a particular function or sound or volume control. Even with the CME product, one still needs that physical button on some kind of device to do that, and if that expensive ($500+) pedal could be replaced with a $100 pedal, it may be viable. What CME need to do is not just make the device that communicates this info, but pedals as complex as the FC300 with additional buttons and "volume" pedals that are programmable and are very affordable to best take advantage of their tech. :)
You saw my video with widi uhost/Airturn pedal on the Fr1x…soon be releasing a video with expression and pitch bend pedal along with pushbuttons…but in final testing stage…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back