• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Does WIDI Bud Pro work in FR1x USB Memory port?

I don't know about the FR1x, but it works on my FR8x. Supposedly an undocumented feature. I ordered mine at Amazon, with the option of free return. But it does work. I am using that ever since.
Markus

The WIDI bud pro supports it, the question is does the FR-1x send all it's MIDI through the USB... I do not know. What does the FR-1x manual say?

What does the FR-1x manual say?

As MIDI over USB they mention only the USB-B connector at the bottom.

But looks like FR-8x manual is not talking about MIDI via USB-A connector neither.

…. it works on my FR8x. Supposedly an undocumented feature.

I was kind of “shocked” when I saw the video of @Keymn showing the WIDI bud sticking in the USB-A connector (https://www.accordionists.info/threads/system-exclusive-message-to-control-fr4x-diy-project.10341/).

This means at least FR-8x and FR-4x can serve as “MIDI host”. Don’t know (m)any other keyboards which can do this.

I urgendly have to test this with the FR-1x….
@Chris Laarman Did you try this, yet?

Last edited:
I tried the prior generation of the Widi Bud and it did not work on the FR1x.
That might have been because the FR1x wasn't acting as a MIDI Host. Or it might have been a lack of capability of the Widi unit.

I assumed the FR1x wasn't up to it, but the earlier Widi Bud would have been well outside its advertised uses. Do let us know if you get it working. That would be super-handy!

Last edited:
Quick question to FR1x owners: Does WIDI Bud Pro work in FR1x USB Memory port? Thanks
Chris

No, You need the widi uhost.

I tried the CME WIDI Uhost(*) on the FR1x front grill USB-A connector (which is meant for an USB memory drive) to check whether the FR1x has the "hidden / undocumented" feature and can serve as a USB MIDi host connector. => It can not :-(

Well, at least you don't then block the USB-drive connector which may come in handy if you need more than 8 user programs or prerecorded accompainment. Or if you don't need the drive the connector can perfectly power the Uhost (**) so you don't need an extra USB power bank.

*) The Uhost is able to automatically switch to either "host" or "client" mode depending on the device you plug it into.

**) The Uhost has two USB-C connectors: One to power the device (from any external USB power bank or directly from the FR1x via the drive port) and one for the MIDI. Watch that you buy the correct cables! CME offers a set with two (theoretically) fitting cables but they are not long enough to be used at the same time with the FR1x. Maybe you can find longer cables elsewhere, CME has labeled the cables as "USB-A to USB-C cable 10cm" and "USB- OTG to USB-C cable 10cm").

PS: As I have already written elsewhere the FR1x DIN MIDI Out connector is able to (self-)power the small and lightweight MIDI Bluetooth adapter "Quicco Sound mi.1" (at least version 1, version 2 I didn't test yet) which may be an alternative to using the Uhost. But you would only have MIDI out then, the FR1x does not allow MIDI in at the DIN plug.

PS 2: To anyone in the future who stumbles across this thread: This topic was already explained by @Keymn and others. There is a nice photo as well...!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
I tried the CME WIDI Uhost(*) on the FR1x front grill USB-A connector (which is meant for an USB memory drive) to check whether the FR1x has the "hidden / undocumented" feature and can serve as a USB MIDi host connector. => It can not :-(

Well, at least you don't then block the USB-drive connector which may come in handy if you need more than 8 user programs or prerecorded accompainment. Or if you don't need the drive the connector can perfectly power the Uhost (**) so you don't need an extra USB power bank.

*) The Uhost is able to automatically switch to either "host" or "client" mode depending on the device you plug it into.

**) The Uhost has two USB-C connectors: One to power the device (from any external USB power bank or directly from the FR1x via the drive port) and one for the MIDI. Watch that you buy the correct cables! CME offers a set with two (theoretically) fitting cables but they are not long enough to be used at the same time with the FR1x. Maybe you can find longer cables elsewhere, CME has labeled the cables as "USB-A to USB-C cable 10cm" and "USB- OTG to USB-C cable 10cm").

PS: As I have already written elsewhere the FR1x DIN MIDI Out connector is able to (self-)power the small and lightweight MIDI Bluetooth adapter "Quicco Sound mi.1" (at least version 1, version 2 I didn't test yet) which may be an alternative to using the Uhost. But you would only have MIDI out then, the FR1x does not allow MIDI in at the DIN plug.

PS 2: To anyone in the future who stumbles across this thread: This topic was already explained by @Keymn and others. There is a nice photo as well...!
That's clever using the front panel usb A port to provide power to the Widi Uhost. Good to see some successful experimenting.

That's clever using the front panel usb A port to provide power to the Widi Uhost. Good to see some successful experimenting.
Thanks for quoting me! But although I didn't know myself when I did this experiment @Keymn shared this finding already some time ago (including with his cabeling solution), see:

Back