• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Clashing Reeds.

boxplayer4000

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Clashing reeds.
I am presently working on a small diatonic melodeon where lowest treble note is C3 (1 octave below middle C) It is MMM arrangement with some musette though this matters less at C3 level. The 0 tuned reed faces the — tuned reed and there is only about 5mm between the two reed faces. With average bellows pressure the reed travel/excursion allows the two reeds to ‘collide’ (not a nice sound). Interestingly it seems that the —tuned reed is the culprit because blanking it off cures the problem while blanking off the 0 tuned reed does not. The reed tips have lead added at this frequency and as far as I can see the reed tips are all set at about the same height.
I’d be interested if anybody has any suggestions or ideas about adjusting reed travel.

Back