• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

christmas came early! (Hohner Claviola project)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learn some new reeds everyday...those sound pretty swell on youtube, nice prezzie!

can't play yet (although of course I secretly did)

can you see the covid in there?

DSC_0942.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0937.JPG
    DSC_0937.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0938.JPG
    DSC_0938.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0939.JPG
    DSC_0939.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0940.JPG
    DSC_0940.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 20
Both the air chamber and the underside of the reeds, against the pipes, have a gasket. The one against the pipes I nearly tore, because it sits against the wax of the reeds. Luckily it's a rubbery flex piece.

Anyone reading this and doing the same: be careful!

DSC_0934.JPG
Plexiglass sealing the air chamber comes 'easily' of it's gasket. Be sure to keep your arm on it when removing the last bolts, because the springs are loaded.

DSC_0935.JPG
To help you with that, the springs are clamped on the valve assembly. This piece sits completely free in the slot.

DSC_0937.JPG
All valve parts out of the air chamber and lined up.

DSC_0940.JPG
Keyboard assembly removed from the pipes 'block'. This piece is a massive block of plastic and has a black powdery coating that seems strike resistance. The wood piece is glued to the 'block'.

DSC_0945.JPG
Reeds waxed into place on the pipes. They sit above a slot running straight down into the base of each pipe. Once assembled, on top of the reeds sits a rubbery gasket that stays in the keyboard assembly.

DSC_0953.JPG
Keyboard assembly. Here you see the gasket and you can look straight through into what normally would be the air chamber. On the right side is the air intake, where the mouth piece goes into.

DSC_0949.JPG
The top piece only comes off once all screws on the inside are removed, the biggest one inside is retaining the black cover piece. Once the cover is gone, you can undo the two bolts here visible next to the air intake, then the wood piece slides off the air intake.

Now to cleanup and put back together!

Example audio after cleaning​

(at first 5 or 6 reeds were sounding at once because I hadn't seated them properly)

thankfully, now it works, and feels quite airtight too

second part I try to wahwah the sound with my hand at the end of the pipes, kind of difficult as you have to guess which pipe you're currently playing, and move along

Dent removal​

After an hour with a heatgun and a round plastic hairbrush from my daughter, I was able to reduce the obvious dent at the front a bit.

before.jpg
Before

after.jpg
After

Next: the chipped wood at the top...​

I guess I have to glue in a piece. Any tips on what kind of wood these endcaps are made of?

That video of Rory's shows the caps a tad darker than mine. I suppose this is either stained or different kind of wood. Mine don't look really stained, as the cutting surfaces of the milling on the inside, and the inside of the broken off bit, is much the same color as the outside.

chipped.jpg

endcap.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Before

After

Next: the chipped wood at the top...​

I guess I have to glue in a piece. Any tips on what kind of wood these endcaps are made of?

That video of Rory's shows the caps a tad darker than mine. I suppose this is either stained or different kind of wood. Mine don't look really stained, as the cutting surfaces of the milling on the inside, and the inside of the broken off bit, is much the same color as the outside.

chipped.jpg
Just by the inside colour my completely uneducated guess would be mahogany.

Method book? (I don't speak German.)

I know a little German. (Cue "Top Secret" reference.)

Looks like a method book. I think it says:

Play Claviola
The new instrument for everyone
Instructions for playing alone and in groups

Just by the inside colour my completely uneducated guess would be mahogany.
my guess too, although i thought about stained douglas fir as well, because of the pink en the contrasting line pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back